RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,647
Posts: 5,428,386
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 597
Newest member: Damix

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 5 2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I loved the ending. I don't understand what the problem is with it. They thought rescue was out of reach. They could die of thirst, be eaten, or go quickly.
I have to agree, I loved the movie and the ending. This was the first movie to truly scare me and freak me out in a long time. The ending simply made my jaw drop, I was saying WTF?, but in a good way.Yes, the optomist in me wanted to see a happy ending, but still it was awsome.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:44 AM   #17
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

^^

I don't mind a 'sad' ending, but it was abrupt....

It's like having--even though I haven't seen the film, but I know of the actual woman--Erin Brockovich be so determined for most of the film...and suddenly, towards the end, give up with no reason.

Yeah, we know she didn't 'give up' in reality, but we're looking at an 'alternate reality' if you will....

We can look at another character: Rocky Balboa. He goes through majority of the film (the first) determined to get his shot, but at the very last minute he gives up...We're not told why...he just gives up...(Maybe he starts screaming like Thomas Jane in the film , but still...)...
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 05:52 PM   #18
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Don't get me wrong, I was disapointed, but then I thought to myself, I would do the same thing and that's why it's a good ending because it made me reconsider my will to live.Besides, with Stephen King I sort of expect a wiered ending.If "It" would have ended that way, I would have Bern pissed. I guess it depends on the circumstance .
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 06:25 PM   #19
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
^^
but it was abrupt....
.............

Yeah, it totally came out of nowhere!
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 06:37 PM   #20
dragunzng
Rear Admiral
 
dragunzng's Avatar
 
Location: Ortigas, Philippines
View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I thought it was an effective thriller with imaginative visuals, and a very gutsy ending that shook me up, but hey, if a horror movie doesn't shake you up, isn't that like a chick flick that doesn't make you cry?
My thoughts exactly. Apart from the chick flick bit. (I'm a MAN, dammit!)
__________________
I'm making a comic called Outcasts of Jupiter - Check it out!
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:29 PM   #21
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

The ending was better than the cornball one we got in I Am Legend, but not as good as the end of The Descent.

I'm not sure why I'm comparing these three films. Maybe because they are all pseudo-scientific horror.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 09:28 PM   #22
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

I didn't like the ending, either. What really ruined it, imo, wasn't so much the 'not finding fuel thing' - although that did bother me as well. Rather, it was the fact that the army arrives just after he does the deed. Yes, it's only a movie. Yes, there are coincidences in movies. But this one just felt too damn contrived.

And I also hated how the woman who wanted to go back to her children survived at the end, as if to say 'See? You should have helped her' or something. Any reasonable person would not have helped her.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
It's like having--even though I haven't seen the film, but I know of the actual woman--Erin Brockovich be so determined for most of the film...and suddenly, towards the end, give up with no reason.
...
We can look at another character: Rocky Balboa. He goes through majority of the film (the first) determined to get his shot, but at the very last minute he gives up...We're not told why...he just gives up...
Which part of "people living in the middle of extremely traumatic circumstances sometimes make sudden and rash decisions" would you like help understanding?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 12:31 AM   #24
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain
 
Hugo Rune's Avatar
 
Location: On The Beat...
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Solid Film. A touch preachy, and one-sided, but how many feature motion pictures are released these days where most of it takes place on one set? I like that. And the ending.

Though its works better in the intended Black & White.


Hugo - Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is 'expiation'.
__________________
inconsessum persequor
Hugo Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 05:51 AM   #25
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I was disapointed, but then I thought to myself, I would do the same thing and that's why it's a good ending because it made me reconsider my will to live.Besides, with Stephen King I sort of expect a wiered ending.If "It" would have ended that way, I would have Bern pissed. I guess it depends on the circumstance .
I need to see 'It'....(the fillm 'It' that is)...

Something about that clown....

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
The ending was better than the cornball one we got in I Am Legend, but not as good as the end of The Descent.

I'm not sure why I'm comparing these three films. Maybe because they are all pseudo-scientific horror.
I still haven't seen I Am Legend; the ending is probably the reason.

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I didn't like the ending, either. What really ruined it, imo, wasn't so much the 'not finding fuel thing' - although that did bother me as well. Rather, it was the fact that the army arrives just after he does the deed. Yes, it's only a movie. Yes, there are coincidences in movies. But this one just felt too damn contrived.

And I also hated how the woman who wanted to go back to her children survived at the end, as if to say 'See? You should have helped her' or something. Any reasonable person would not have helped her.
She did survive?

Oooo, I don't want to have to watch it again.

That's interesting, though....

And it brings up the point of whether or not her character was 'pure hearted;' a reason her character survived...

Gaith wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
It's like having--even though I haven't seen the film, but I know of the actual woman--Erin Brockovich be so determined for most of the film...and suddenly, towards the end, give up with no reason.
...
We can look at another character: Rocky Balboa. He goes through majority of the film (the first) determined to get his shot, but at the very last minute he gives up...We're not told why...he just gives up...
Which part of "people living in the middle of extremely traumatic circumstances sometimes make sudden and rash decisions" would you like help understanding?


True, true....but we've had that same story before, and there was always one or two characters who remained 'sane'....i.e The Twilight Zone episode, 'The Monsters are due on Maple Street'...'Night of the Living Dead'...etc....

And even Night of the Living Dead had everyone die, but we accepted it because of the storytelling.

In 'The Mist' we don't know if they are hallucinating; we do hear some dialogue from the military characters, but we don't know if what they say is true or not...and we don't hear anything about the 'portal' until The Mist covers the area...

And if it was 'real,' was it only affecting the mean-hearted individuals?

There is no explanation; and again, as I'm expecting this explanation, the characters give up....and die....
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 06:13 AM   #26
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Shurik wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I HATED the ending. It was a freaking IDIOT plot ending. How MANY abandoned cars with tanks FULL of gas did they drive past? How many abandoned GAS stations? These people were NOT stupid and they did NOT wish to die. Yes, I can accept that in a moment of crisis after so much trial that they might have lost hope. But it is unacceptable to me that these characters simply IGNORED the gas needle creeping toward "empty" as they drove mile after mile after MILE along major highway and doubtless through towns and cities (conveniently NOT shown) to run their tanks dry in a godforsaken remote location with no hope of finding fuel. It was stupid and purposefully not shown because in the minds of most audience's what you don't see on screen doesn't matter and makes no difference. It bugs me that there was NO WAY these characters could get where they went without passing probably THOUSANDS of opportunities for fuel, yet they didn't bother.

Then, the gimmick ending which was telegraphed a hundred miles away annoyed me to no end. I much preferred King's original ambiguous yet HOPEFUL ending.
They were afraid to leave the car, even for a few minutes, after what they saw in previous few days. I think they lost the last bits of hope when they saw that giant animal crossing their path.

I loved this film and the ending.
Exactly. You can't apply rigid logic to it. You have to consider the devastating impact of what they'd experienced on their morale and will to live.

The tragic thing is...that gigantic animal that destroyed their will to live probably would pay no more attention to them than my cats pay to ants (about the same size scale). The giant animal was more likely a predator on all the horrific huge creatures they'd already seen. Just knowing that - that they were effectively ants in this new ecosystem - is the thing that really destroyed their morale. It's the shock of realizing that human are not always destined to be the pinnacle of evolution. Not even close.

I don't mind a 'sad' ending, but it was abrupt....
Death is abrupt. The ending was honest in that way.

And I also hated how the woman who wanted to go back to her children survived at the end, as if to say 'See? You should have helped her' or something. Any reasonable person would not have helped her.
I loved that! The world is FUCKED! You can think you did the right thing but it turns out to be FUCKED! It's honest, don't you see that? Finally a movie doesn't feed us the usual Disney bullshit. Do the right thing and everything will be okay. When does that actually happen in real life? Only by random accident. Just as likely, you do the right thing, and the result it totally FUCKED!

And it brings up the point of whether or not her character was 'pure hearted;' a reason her character survived...
"Pure hearted?" what Disney bullshit is this! People don't survive by being "pure hearted." They survive by 1) being more viciously ruthless than the other guy and 2) random accident. And really more 2) than 1). Any delusion you've had that you're in control of your life is just a fantasy you tell yourself in order to keep going. When you finally accept the truth, the ending of this movie is what happens. You people are afraid to recognize the fundamental truth at the heart of it, which is why you say it's a "bad" ending. What it is is an unusually truthful ending for a Hollywood flick.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; January 9 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 02:13 PM   #27
DarylCarpenter
Captain
 
Location: Armpit of Connecticut
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

The funniest movie of 2007.

The final scene should have been Thomas Jane being driven away in a Whaaaaaaambulance.
DarylCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 02:27 PM   #28
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander
 
mickmike's Avatar
 
Location: far beyond the stars
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

I LOVE this movie. Perfect ending.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 04:15 PM   #29
Dorian Thompson
Admiral
 
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Yes, I dare say it was perfect. These people had barely slept for days. Sleep deprivation FUCKS. WITH. YOU. I still remember the bronchitis I had around New Years 2008 through most of January. It's 2 years later and I remember. I went for four days with--literally--about one hour of sleep total and I was a sobbing, raving lunatic asking my then husband to take me to the hospital, that maybe they could give me drugs from the psych ward to knock me out but wait....would I choke to death on the mucus in my system? My mind was a convoluted mess. I was telling my husband what funeral arrangements to make. I was so brutally exhausted from illness and lack of sleep that my rational thought processes were completely gone. Can I believe that a group of people who've experienced the death of their loved ones, who've been trapped in a supermarket for days with little sleep and seen people getting torn apart and eaten would make the decision they made to end it all rather than get eaten....or watch a son get eaten or starve? You'd better believe it.
__________________
http://www.noahswish.com

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 09:37 PM   #30
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

She did survive?

Oooo, I don't want to have to watch it again.

That's interesting, though....

And it brings up the point of whether or not her character was 'pure hearted;' a reason her character survived...
I believe we get a glimpse of her in the back of a transport truck that's driving by with other refugees.
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
horror

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.