RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 503
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2010, 03:11 AM   #316
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Kegg wrote: View Post
It's not grammatical, it's just a pronunciation thing, common to British and (I think) Australian accents.
This leads me into one of those ridiculously nitpicky questions that has no possible answer within the series.

Everyone communicates via translation microbes, right? Only native words that don't have a direct translation - like names - would come through as they are. Those words would have to be learned through simple repetition and mimicry.

So why, if Crichton introduced himself as John, with an American accent (JAAN), does Aeryn pronounce his name with an Australian accent (JONN)? She should pronounce it as he pronounces it.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 03:15 AM   #317
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

I've noticed how often Aeryn and some of the other characters call the ship 'Moyer'.

And while I'm posting in this thread, I have to say that I found the second season so far much like the first, rather hit-and-miss, but I just finished the "Princess" trilogy and really enjoyed those.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old January 6 2010, 03:15 AM   #318
Kegg
Rear Admiral

She probably does say 'Jaan', but the translator microbes filter her word usage through the Australian accent they've decided will be used for most aliens John encounters, so it becomes 'John.'

Trent - Any thoughts on S1's end-of-season arc?
Old January 6 2010, 04:49 AM   #319
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I've noticed how often Aeryn and some of the other characters call the ship 'Moyer'.
They probably do that when the very next word they say starts with a vowel, so they have to add an 'r' onto Moya's name. AFAIK, most Americans don't talk like that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 04:54 AM   #320
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
They probably do that when the very next word they say starts with a vowel, so they have to add an 'r' onto Moya's name. AFAIK, most Americans don't talk like that.
I've heard quite a few though.
Old January 6 2010, 06:01 AM   #321
RoJoHen
Awesome

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
In general, or on Farscape? Almost every actor on Farscape is from Australia.
Old January 6 2010, 06:02 AM   #322
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post

In general, or on Farscape? Almost every actor on Farscape is from Australia.
In General, and I know that.
Old January 6 2010, 07:49 PM   #323
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Well after 49 days I finished watching all of Farscape. After a wait of 6.5 years I finally got to watch the last 9 episodes of season 4. They were new to me.(I had missed them because I had fallen asleep and didnt want to continue watching until I had seen everything, since the show was so arc based by that time)
I really enjoyed them. I also finally got to watch the PKW. Without really spoiling anything John really seemed to take charge in the last few eps of season 4 as well as the mini.

The mini really did a good job of maintaining continuity with story and sets. The show had been out of production for over a year so sets had to be rebuildt and actors brought back. There are some minor quibbles but thats to be expected when a show is abruptly cancelled after a cliffhanger. Moya looks slightly different. They of course couldnt rebuild everything, so we mostly see quarters, the comm, and hallways.(It took them 4 years to accumulate all the different sets for her and Im sure budget wouldnt allow for everything to be rebuilt)
Also pilots voice sounded more like Lani Tupi than ever. He has stated that a different sound guy came on for the mini which probably explains the different mixing on the voice. Other than those two things the mini tied the show up nicely. They had 180 minutes to tell a seasons worth of stories. It was nicely done. I had a mixture of happiness and sadness though to FINALLY see it end.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:02 PM   #324
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Since you just finished it... Tell me if the last 6-7 eps for season 4 weren't great. Somehow, I feel, s3 gets all the love and the last half of s4 gets none. While I think they are comparable - but most fans think otherwise.

I know.... I'm looking for external validation... Pathetic...

Still - anybody? I can't be the only one...
Old January 6 2010, 09:28 PM   #325
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I thought the final stretch of season four was pretty highly regarded. Definitely, I love it - the Katratzi arc is a high point for the series. The reason S4 gets less love than S3 is because it's far more uneven, especially early on.

Last edited by Kegg; January 6 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 09:33 PM   #326
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

If memory serves---and I really wasn't paying very close attention back then---Scifi asked them to tone down the serialization in season 4. They did for a while, and then decided to ramp it back up anyway once the network wasn't looking. Much the same occurred in Angel season 5.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 09:33 PM   #327
RoJoHen
Awesome

coolghoul wrote: View Post
Since you just finished it... Tell me if the last 6-7 eps for season 4 weren't great. Somehow, I feel, s3 gets all the love and the last half of s4 gets none. While I think they are comparable - but most fans think otherwise.

I know.... I'm looking for external validation... Pathetic...

Still - anybody? I can't be the only one...
I'll be honest. I like Season 4 a lot more than Season 3, but it took me rewatching it several times to realize it.

The only things about the mini that bothered me at all were:
1) Pilot's voice, but I got used to it after the first scene
2) Chiana's voice, same deal
3) Jothee's costume. Apparently somewhere between Season 3 and mini he became a full Luxan.

There were a few minor nitpicks, but overall I fucking love the mini. The ending is epic!
Old January 6 2010, 10:18 PM   #328
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Trent - Any thoughts on S1's end-of-season arc?
I generally enjoyed it. I didn't find "A Bug's Life" as rave-worthy as others had suggested, but the duology on the Gammak Base and the finale itself were good. "Bone to be Wild"... I think it would have been a solid episode elsewhere, but a planet-of-the-week story in the middle of the arc felt rather out of place. I guess overall I prefer episodes that deal with the broader setting of the series (the more space operatic elements, perhaps) than yet another episode where something makes people on Moya act crazy. Again.

Thinking more about the first half of the second season, something that's been consistently bugging me is Crichton: he seems to be perma-pissed, always shouting and closed-off. The sense of wonder and discovery, and the productive value of the outsider role, seem to have vanished. I suppose it makes sense in light of his experiences at the end of last season, but there's a problem when your lead character and only human isn't, well, particularly humane. Right now it's Zhaan and Chiana with whom I find myself sympathizing the most.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old January 6 2010, 10:34 PM   #329
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

There's a reason for that, actually.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 11:44 PM   #330
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

A very good reason in fact. I couldn't understand it either upon first watching it, and it really bothered me until i saw why.
Thats one of the reasons i love this show so much. They manage to take the story and go in directions i never would have thought. I wanted everyone to behave the way i expected, or the story to unfold in a way that would bring about the happiest ending, but they rarely ever did that.
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote