Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 5 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
DS9Master83
Ensign

The Problems of Remastering TNG, DS9 & VOY

I recently read somewhere that it's unlikely that TNG, DS9 & VOY will ever be released in remastered formats for Bluray due to cost and technical reasons. One person on a random fourm stated that
DS9 like many pre HD era TV shows was shot on film but edited on video. Not just the effects. Meaning The masters are on video. The best resolution you will get is 480i. They would have to go back and found ALL the original film footage, rescanned it in HD and redid ALL the FX. What would they do if they can't find all the footage? Just upscale the missing bits? Would look awful and mismatched.
Is this true? Does anybody know the exact film and equipment used for the filming and production of TNG, DS9 & VOY? Is there any chance of these shows ever being remastered considering all of the obstacles?
DS9Master83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 02:33 AM   #2
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: The Problems of Remastering TNG, DS9 & VOY

DS9Master83 wrote: View Post
One person on a random fourm stated that...
That person sounds like a real authority on all matters.

But yes, what they said is exactly true, the TNG era series were edited on video because it saved time and money to editing it on film. It's not impossible to remaster the shows, it would just take a hell of a lot of work and might not make a return on the investment. There's a small chance they'll risk it for TNG since it was the most successful Trek series in terms of mass appeal, but DS9 and Voyager will probably never see the light of day on blu-ray.
Old January 5 2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

There's a large chance that they'll eventually release Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-Ray with proper HD transfers and either newly created or newly recomposited visual effects. It remains a very popular series and Paramount is well aware of its financial potential. There's a long and heated thread in the TNG forum about the issues surrounding this.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager are less likely candidates for Blu-Ray release in the near future, since they were never as popular as TNG.

Star Trek: The Animated Series, like its live action counterpart, could easily be remastered and released on Blu-Ray, but whether there is demand for this or not I have no idea.

Enterprise was mastered in widescreen HD, although the visual effects were upconverted from 480p as it was too time-consuming and expensive to create them in 1080p resolutions. It is often aired on television in HD and could very easily be released on Blu-Ray in this format. If they wanted to re-do the effects at 1080p (unlikely) it would take more work, although, as the most recent series, this may be the most doable since the CGI models, etc. are more likely to still be around.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 04:21 AM   #4
SG-17
Commodore

It is a shame that they edited TNG on video instead of film. Though I understand why they did it. Hopefully they will take the chance to remaster TNG on blu-ray. I would definitely buy it. Eventually.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 04:37 AM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

Weren't there rumours of TNG being remastered a few years back similar to TOS?

Mind you, since TNG has nearly 100 more episodes than TOS does, I don't see it happening.
Old January 5 2010, 05:57 AM   #6
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

From TNG, DS9 and VOY there will probably be Blu-Ray "fan collectives" but I don't see them doing the entire series.

ENT, on the other hand, is releaseable right now on BR. Whether or not the effects were upconverted to HD or created natively in that way, the fact remains that they have aired that way, so a Blu-Ray release would be possible.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

I don't see them doing a Fan Collective. Re-mastering TNG would be a serious project, and an important part of the revenues from it would be television rebroadcasts. That can't be done with only a handful of episodes. It's probably all or nothing.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 07:34 AM   #8
You_Guyz
Commander

It would be great if they could remaster Voyager's CGI, the ship looked quite bad in its CGI incarnation.
You_Guyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 07:51 AM   #9
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't see them doing a Fan Collective. Re-mastering TNG would be a serious project, and an important part of the revenues from it would be television rebroadcasts. That can't be done with only a handful of episodes.
But TNG has seven seasons. That's hundreds of episodes. Way more work, and time, than TOS-R. It may not be worth the effort.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Fleet Captain

This is one area where they really blew it, and I think it somewhat limits the replay value of these series. Babylon 5 premiered the same year as DS9, and yet they managed to film that show in widescreen and the non-CGI scenes look fine on DVD. Admittedly, B5 has its own mastering issues with the special effects, but at least they tried. I don't see why Trek couldn't have done this.
*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

My thought is, someday, maybe, they'll devise a technique for up-scaling video to HD. Never know...

Honestly though, I'd be satisfied if they just "remastered" them as best as can be, even if not blu-ray quality, and while they where at it, they simply re-make all the SFX with modern CGI.

Just getting rid of the same, redundant, pass-by shots they recycled for almost every episode would be a vast improvement.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 03:20 PM   #12
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
My thought is, someday, maybe, they'll devise a technique for up-scaling video to HD. Never know...
Any image can be up-scaled, including video image, if you watch a regular DVD on an HDTV either your DVD player or your TV will up-scale the image, otherwise the image will only take up a small part of the screen. The problem is that an up-scaled image can never reproduce the same level of quality as the film image because it doesn't contain the data and has to make approximations. The best up-scaler in the world will never be able to perfectly recreate the full-HD image.

A good example for this would be the bios for Archer and Hoshi in In a Mirror, Darkly which were readable on HDTVs but were difficult to make out when displayed on an SDTV. No matter how well your up-scale that SD image the words will be blurry and difficult to make out while the proper HD image will be crisp and clear.
Old January 5 2010, 04:14 PM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
DS9Master83 wrote: View Post
One person on a random fourm stated that...
That person sounds like a real authority on all matters.

But yes, what they said is exactly true, the TNG era series were edited on video because it saved time and money to editing it on film. It's not impossible to remaster the shows, it would just take a hell of a lot of work and might not make a return on the investment. There's a small chance they'll risk it for TNG since it was the most successful Trek series in terms of mass appeal, but DS9 and Voyager will probably never see the light of day on blu-ray.
That's the sad thing. I can imagine (or maybe just want to) TNG doing some decent business on a true remaster, but I just don't see enough of a fan base outside of Trek fans for DS9 or Voyager to do anything significant in terms of sales.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 08:49 PM   #14
WHF
Captain

It's a pity they didn't try, as a test case, a high-definition remaster of the DS9 episode, Trials and Tribble-ations, that was included with the TOS blu-ray. Perhaps it wasn't financially feasible, but I wonder how much it would have added to the cost of the set to do it.
Old January 6 2010, 09:22 AM   #15
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't see them doing a Fan Collective. Re-mastering TNG would be a serious project, and an important part of the revenues from it would be television rebroadcasts. That can't be done with only a handful of episodes.
But TNG has seven seasons. That's hundreds of episodes. Way more work, and time, than TOS-R. It may not be worth the effort.
It probably isn't.

Blu Ray is still very much a niche format and the DVDs have hit rock-bottom price now. A remastering project is very unlikely, and as others have pointed out, they would need to know they will get some significant revenue from HD re-runs.

There is a heck of a lot more work involved than with the remastered TOS, both per episode and in the number of episodes, for potentially far less gain (no new movie to make the characters popular again).