CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 2 2010, 12:11 PM   #31
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Re: How do you feel about "too humanoid" aliens in Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
... If you're telling a morality play about war or prejudice, you might as well use humanoid aliens.
Why? Because it's easier to relate? Why not set it in the real world then, or some Fantasy world? If you're going to choose Science-Fiction set in Outer Space, it's only kosher to use Space aliens.

"A Piece of the Action" would have been silly...sillier with Horta-like aliens, but what would have been wrong using Sheliak in the place of some random WASPy aliens-of-the-week/book?

I think a universe more similar to Star Wars' or Farscape's or even Men in Black's, where you have different types and levels of alien all mixed in with each other everywhere would be really interesting to see.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2010, 01:26 AM   #32
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

If it's between a spending the money on a better script or an expensive alien makeup, I'll take the better script any day.

It all comes down to the almighty buck.
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2010, 01:46 AM   #33
SFRabid
Commodore

Anji wrote: View Post
If it's between a spending the money on a better script or an expensive alien makeup, I'll take the better script any day.

It all comes down to the almighty buck.
Yep. Almost every DVD set has an interview where they talk about doing as many unique aliens as budget allows, and then filling out with forehead-aliens. Also, I'll take a good actor or actress playing an alien with two legs and two arms over somebody's nephew in a full body suit giving us a few moments of stiff dialog while communicating ship to ship on the bridge screen.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2010, 05:34 AM   #34
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Crazy aliens are better left to the books so we can flesh them out in our imaginations.
Old January 4 2010, 05:50 AM   #35
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The problem with trying to apply too much real world stuff with Trek is that inevitably there comes a point where reality clashes with the fictional aspects and things start to break down. Realistically, the odds of encountering any alien lifeforms face-to-face out there could be very slim given the enormous distances to be overcome, but we can search for signals and other signs that someone else is out there.
Eh, I never take distances as a factor. Just cause we are not traveling faster than light does not mean aliens are not. An alien could look at our advanced stuff and call it prehistoric junk, or looks at our scientists and say that these guys don't know what they are talking about.

If we meet aliens, they'll be similar enough to us that there is competition. Or probably cooperation. But I'm not too optimistic about the latter.
Stop being so presimistic. I've got a 40+ year old bottle of scotch here to be opened once the big day happens.

For me, just like Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks, was always disappointed by the aliens and monsters in science fiction because they all looked like people, just dressed up people. A few human like aliens are fine, and possibly expected to be out there (Like the aliens disignated as "The Nordics", who are very tall, arein looking people), but it's pretty silly on Trek to keep seeing aliens who are just humans with some ridges on their faces. The human-like Gorn in those ST09 pictures were disapointing to say the least. There's probably aliens out there that could pretty much be large chunks of crystal with tentacles, slug feet, and proboscus.

One of my favorite aliens in Trek were the Xindi, all the races of them. I think there's more like that out there. Be neat to see an alien race like that, minus the whole carving the world up like a Thanksgiving Turkey bit.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 05:56 AM   #36
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
I'm not that bothered by the lack of alien aliens, but it does remind me of a line from The Big Bang Theory where one of the characters wonders why the genitalia of the alien women Kirk supposedly slept with are all similar to humans. And why said women wouldn't chastise Kirk for putting his thing in her nose. Yeah, that's a point.

Well.....Kes had her thing on her back, it seemed.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 07:29 AM   #37
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^So do we, really.

It'd be hilarious if the pertinent apertures were switched around, though. That's plausible with a human body plan, I suppose. I bet it'd lead to some romantic misunderstandings.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 07:45 AM   #38
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, Star Wars and MIB both have much better budgets than Star Trek does and the differences between movies released every few years as compared to weekly TV plays into it as well.

Farscape, it actually did cost quite a bit to make those aliens which is what led to the S4 cancellation. Luckily they got the mini-series to end their show.

Contrary to belief, TOS wasn't that good with this either. They used humans and human-aliens a LOT, not even altering their faces aside from slightly changed skin tones. And their attempts at alien aliens didn't work out (Gorn, Horta).

The best was early TNG with the Bynars, Anticans, Selay, those Fish-Aliens, etc.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 08:40 AM   #39
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
Farscape, it actually did cost quite a bit to make those aliens which is what led to the S4 cancellation. Luckily they got the mini-series to end their show.
Farscape's budget must have been less than the later Trek series, though. Either way, Farscape did a much better job with aliens and even addressed the English-speaking thing immediately in the first episode. There's no reason why these things couldn't have been done more in Trek.

I wish we had seen more races like the Tholians in ENT.
*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 09:07 AM   #40
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, Farscape half-did the english thing right. The translator microbes make their languages all sound like English to Crichton, but they never explained why when the Alien talked their lips all moved the way English-speakers would.

Anywho, Trek has the Universal Translator so that explains that. It's not really necessary to explain the english thing unless you want to point out the alien speaking another language like in District 9, because in that context it makes more sense for them NOT to speak english.

And like I said, early TNG DID have great alien makeup (for the time) in the first two seasons. After that, it was an executive order to stop doing that to save money.

So chalk that up to Executive meddling.
Old January 4 2010, 03:52 PM   #41
Fleet Captain

I always figured that it appeared to Crichton that the aliens were speaking English, due to the microbes' influence on his brain or whatever. Either way, I really liked that it was dealt with right off the bat and seemed consistent throughout the series.

I don't think I really noticed the lack of alien variety until Voyager. It seemed like every week there was another alien with something new glued to their face.
*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 04:00 PM   #42
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Somehow I think I'd be a little annoyed if every single alien in the galaxy was some wildly designed monster. A little variety is good, and I can certainly appreciate an alien design with somewhat more subtle touches than that of, say, a Klingon.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 05:34 PM   #43
Anwar
Vice Admiral

*** wrote: View Post
I always figured that it appeared to Crichton that the aliens were speaking English, due to the microbes' influence on his brain or whatever. Either way, I really liked that it was dealt with right off the bat and seemed consistent throughout the series.

I don't think I really noticed the lack of alien variety until Voyager. It seemed like every week there was another alien with something new glued to their face.
Thing is, when VOY deliberately WANTED to have unique aliens they did make them. The Think Tank aliens and the 8472 are the prime examples. The rest of the time it didn't matter how alien the aliens looked, so the FX people weren't given money or real instructions on what they should look like which left them with the default "forehead" thing.

But then again, remember than one of Trek's most memorable alien species' only difference from humanity is that their ears are pointed...
Old January 4 2010, 08:48 PM   #44
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Navaros wrote: View Post
I think this is lazy writing and should be chastised as such.

TOS has proven that creative writers can make interesting aliens which are not human-like (ie: Horta).

Modern Trek writers got lazy and stopped even trying to be creative like that, and that is a darn shame.
Yet in TOS many, if not most were identical to humans. The Horta worked because of the story being told. It needed to be a non-humanoid "monster".;
Old January 5 2010, 12:30 AM   #45
amdmiami
Commander

Trek could have definetely used some more creative aliens instead of the bumpy forehead of the week.
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote