Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 1 2010, 01:59 AM   #91
TJinPgh
Captain

Re: Who would you want to play the captain in Trek series 6

Maybe. Although, I see him more as the antagonistic type of captain, much in the same vein as James B. Sikking was.
TJinPgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 08:34 AM   #92
therealfoxbat
Commander

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^In all seriousness...a Trek series exploring the legal system could actually turn out pretty good!
Only if "pretty good" is defined as Chris Pine digging ditches on a penal colony instead of commanding a starship...

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...
therealfoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 07:16 AM   #93
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

I'm not sure who I'd want as the new Captain, but I would really love to see Ron Pearlman (Beauty & the Beast/Hellboy) as the Chief Engineer.

Maybe Joe Flanigan from SG-A would be an interesting choice as the Captain.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 08:05 AM   #94
TJinPgh
Captain

Pearlman's Viceroy was, quite frankly, far more compelling than Nero. He's a great character actor and could do anything from engineer to admiral to chief of security.

I liked Flannigan in SG-A. I see him more as a first officre than a captain, though.
Old January 2 2010, 06:22 PM   #95
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

daveyNY wrote: View Post
Hardly groundbreaking, though is it? No offence, but I've never understood why people would want to see as a Starfleet captain an actor who's already played a similar role in another rival tv sci-fi series.

Having said that, a lot of people in the Treklit forum always name him when they're 'casting' the character of Mackensie Calhoun from Peter David's New Frontier series., so you're not alone
Old January 2 2010, 06:40 PM   #96
Wynterhawk
Commodore

Location: Wynterhawk is cool like the other side of your pillow

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Although he'd be an unusual choice, Adrian Pasdar is an excellent actor and he needs a good show to make up for the crap Heroes put him through.

Poor Adrian.

I vote for CCH Pounder, Angela Bassett, Regina King, Lynn Whitfield, Wynterhawk
Old January 2 2010, 06:45 PM   #97
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

David Tennant who played the Tenth Doctor.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 10:22 PM   #98
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

daveyNY wrote: View Post
I'm not sure who I'd want as the new Captain, but I would really love to see Ron Pearlman (Beauty & the Beast/Hellboy) as the Chief Engineer.

I'd like to see Flanigan back on TV, but I really don't see him as the Starfleet captain type. He's the kind of actor who should stick to the type that suits him. He could be a Han Solo-ish space rogue, for instance, or even a Boomer who joins Starfleet and clashes a bit with the restrictions (Mayweather the way they should have written him).

Pearlman would make a good colorful character - Cardassian or Orion badass. I wouldn't waste him on Starfleet.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2010, 06:28 AM   #99
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

tremethick wrote: View Post
William Shatner, he would only be about 80.
And he'd insist his character was 35.

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^In all seriousness...a Trek series exploring the legal system could actually turn out pretty good!
I don't think it would work. That idea would be a niche premise for an already niche franchise.
Old January 3 2010, 07:06 AM   #100
TJinPgh
Captain

I always thought that Paramount missed the boat with Insurrection.

Whether or not you liked the movie (I, personally, thought it was about 10x better than "Star Trek," but, I digress) it did present what could have been an interesting springboard for a new series had they looked forward instead of backward with Enterprise.

Insurrection nicely set up a series that could have revolved around an internal rift within the Federation. Rather than looking for a new enemy for them to face, they could have had a civil war or sorts.

The show could have focused on stories involving a couple of new crews, integrating the crews from the various TNG era shows. Rotating the story lines to focus on different crews and battles. Would perhaps make it more interesting and might make it easier to sign certain actors if they only needed to film a half dozen or so episodes a season, rather than 20+.

It could have been done with a DS9 sort of edge. Perhaps even darker, ala BSG or SG-U.

The series could have ended with a mini-series (maybe 4 part for a total of 8 hours), gathering the respective crews for their final battle.

Basically taking the feel of the final season of DS9 and expanding it for a couple of season run.
Old January 3 2010, 10:26 PM   #101
caisson2delta
Captain

A few that come to mind are:
Gary Sinise
Don Cheadle
Adam Baldwin
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2010, 11:10 PM   #102
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Insurrection nicely set up a series that could have revolved around an internal rift within the Federation. Rather than looking for a new enemy for them to face, they could have had a civil war or sorts.
The problem with Federation civil war ideas is that the Federation is such a black hole - what is it really? We haven't been introduced to it enough that we would understand what the issues are if there was a civil war. It's just this nice, bland, undefined place where everyone is happy, la la la.

Star Trek has always taken place around the margins of the Federation, rarely venturing into its internal workings. A lot of groundwork would have to be laid before anyone would understand or care about the Federation splitting apart.
Old January 3 2010, 11:15 PM   #103
TJinPgh
Captain

That is sort of what a series is for, isn't it?

I mean, if evreything is already laid out for you before hand then there isn't a whole lot of sense in doing it.

One of the reasons why I dislike remakes and prequals, but, I digress.
Old January 3 2010, 11:30 PM   #104
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If you think the audience would sit still for having the first season be Meet The Federation, then sure, go for it. I personally doubt there's much about the Federation that's very compelling. It's Starfleet that's compelling, and they exist to defend and expand the Federation, but the Federation itself just exists as some big black box to provide a justification for Starfleet's existence so we can see their adventures.
Old January 4 2010, 04:25 AM   #105
TJinPgh
Captain

I think you're making a distinction where I'm not sure one exists. It's like trying to distinguish between the U.S. Government and the U.S. Military. The latter doesn't exist without the former.

If the Federation were to start to break apart, Starfleet would break apart with it. Just as the military of the U.S. would inevitably break apart if we experienced another war between the states.

It has always been suggested that not all of the species contained under the banner of the Federation are happy about it. Certainly shouldn't be too difficult to push enough buttons to start a collapse.