New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 30 2009, 09:49 PM   #91
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

Penhall99 wrote: View Post
Ryann866 wrote: View Post
I've always been interested in these "lost Trek" stories -- especially the development of the scripts that eventually became TMP.

A friend's father is Jerry Isenberg, who was assigned as the producer of Planet of The Titans and worked with GR and the writers during that period. I'm going to ask him if he still has a dusty script lying around somewhere... no promises though...
Hey, so I guess nothing ever panned out?

And you know, as much as I liiked TMP, I think this would have made a cool movie. I don't like the idea of Kirk disappearing for half the movie or the Enterprise redesign (although it is interesting and kinda cool) but at least it isn't a retread of a TV episode. And it seems like it would have had a cinematic scope and feel to it, without resorting to the usual "Earth is gonna be destroyed" thing.

I hope a screenplay surfaces someday, because I'd love to give it a read.
But wouldn't it have been a retread? Didn't Kirk meet Apollo/Adonis and didn't Adonis explain who and what the Roman/Greek Gods were?

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:07 AM   #92
trevanian
Rear Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Penhall99 wrote: View Post
Ryann866 wrote: View Post
I've always been interested in these "lost Trek" stories -- especially the development of the scripts that eventually became TMP.

A friend's father is Jerry Isenberg, who was assigned as the producer of Planet of The Titans and worked with GR and the writers during that period. I'm going to ask him if he still has a dusty script lying around somewhere... no promises though...
Hey, so I guess nothing ever panned out?

And you know, as much as I liiked TMP, I think this would have made a cool movie. I don't like the idea of Kirk disappearing for half the movie or the Enterprise redesign (although it is interesting and kinda cool) but at least it isn't a retread of a TV episode. And it seems like it would have had a cinematic scope and feel to it, without resorting to the usual "Earth is gonna be destroyed" thing.

I hope a screenplay surfaces someday, because I'd love to give it a read.
But wouldn't it have been a retread? Didn't Kirk meet Apollo/Adonis and didn't Adonis explain who and what the Roman/Greek Gods were?

Rob
Are you may---beee confusing this with CLASH OF THE TITANS?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 01:38 AM   #93
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Axiom1 wrote: View Post
...In reference to Shigeta as Nogura, and Sulu, the fan film trailer 'STA: A Time to Heal' is finally online.

Register, log in, and follow the links section here: <snip>
Tell me you didn't re-animate this long dead thread just to again plug the trailer for this thing. Interesting as it might be, it's got nothing to do with "Planet of the Titans".

trevanian wrote: View Post
I think Robert means that as "Planet of the Titans" would have ended with the idea that Kirk and Company were the titans of old, and as the Titans were the fathers of the Greek Gods, wouldn't that make for a discontinuity with how said Greek gods were depicted in "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

If I am reading that correctly.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 01:55 AM   #94
RobertScorpio
Pariah

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
...In reference to Shigeta as Nogura, and Sulu, the fan film trailer 'STA: A Time to Heal' is finally online.

Tell me you didn't re-animate this long dead thread just to again plug the trailer for this thing. Interesting as it might be, it's got nothing to do with "Planet of the Titans".

I think Robert means that as "Planet of the Titans" would have ended with the idea that Kirk and Company were the titans of old, and as the Titans were the fathers of the Greek Gods, wouldn't that make for a discontinuity with how said Greek gods were depicted in "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

Yes...exactly..wouldn't that trump Adonis?

Rob
Old January 1 2010, 02:18 AM   #95
trevanian
Rear Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post

Yes...exactly..wouldn't that trump Adonis?

Rob
I never got that impression, though I certainly can't dispute it.
I thought the titans reference was a generic one, relating to some race that had been detected as an early force on Earth only in Kirk's time. But given what you folks say, it sounds more plausible with the titan/apollo business. And it is in keeping with Kaufmann's stated interest in mythology. He wanted to work in a lot of Stapledon SF as well. Kind of makes me wonder if Stapledon used titans.
Old January 1 2010, 06:48 AM   #96
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I think the big problem with this story would be, what do you do for a sequel?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 07:23 AM   #97
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Do another stand-alone movie in the same universe. I think they could have used TITANS as the reboot film, and if they wanted to hold Kirk & co back for more pics, they could have done this with April's crew. Intro the ST universe anew, instead of tearing the ST universe down to create this diluted and dumbassed, piss-ant mix of STARSHIP TROOPERS and LucasLand.
Old January 1 2010, 10:14 AM   #98
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Do another stand-alone movie in the same universe. I think they could have used TITANS as the reboot film, and if they wanted to hold Kirk & co back for more pics, they could have done this with April's crew. Intro the ST universe anew, instead of tearing the ST universe down to create this diluted and dumbassed, piss-ant mix of STARSHIP TROOPERS and LucasLand.
...which made lots of money and attracted a younger crowd like my daughter. JJ did exactly what was needed to insure TREK's survival..and, IMO, he succeeded and i cant' wait for more...

HAVING said that, I can understand those who don't like this version of TREK jj is telling...so we just have to agree to disagree

Rob
Old January 1 2010, 02:36 PM   #99
Axiom1
Ensign

Your slightly acrimonious comment is interesting, and a little perplexing, considering I've been interested in POTT long before 'your thread' existed. Not to mention ATTH was referenced by others in 'your thread' several times prior to my post. A post which if you read, mentioned a little more than a 'plug' for said ATTH trailer.

Possibly the fact ATTH was referenced here to begin with might have something to do with its relevance to POTT?

Threads topics do tend to slightly swerve somewhat on forums, so don't let that get you too perturbed my friend.

I imagine Data Holmes might agree with that deduction.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I am so loving this thread. I love all the "treks not taken" stuff. Great job DS9Sega!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
James Shigeta was going to play Nogura if the Phase II series had progressed.
Where did you hear this? I know Shigeta played Nogura in a fan film called Yorktown II back in the late '80s or so; Starlog covered it, since it was apparently a pretty prominent fan film with involvement from many professionals including George Takei (with the filmmaker playing Sulu's son), Andrew Probert (who designed a Klingon scout ship for it), and composer Bill Conti. But I don't remember anything about Shigeta being slated for Phase II.
I so wish this would make it's way onto the internet already!!!
I suppose we should thank the power of the galactic internet. Who woulda thunk?

HAVING said that, I can understand those who don't like this version of TREK jj
There are actually a few discontented fans out there. Yet not enough to make any great changes. However, if there can be two Hulk films that aren't sequels...why not another version of Trek? I'd certainly be game

Realistically it won't happen, though one never knows…

I'm still waiting for EON to switch Bonds, bring back Ken Adam, John Barry, and get the rest of the production mix right...but thats another story for another forum.

Last edited by Axiom1; January 1 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Axiom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 03:35 PM   #100
trevanian
Rear Admiral

...which made lots of money and attracted a younger crowd like my daughter. JJ did exactly what was needed to insure TREK's survival..and, IMO, he succeeded and i cant' wait for more...

HAVING said that, I can understand those who don't like this version of TREK jj is telling...so we just have to agree to disagree

Rob
If that is the price of survival ... well, the best way I can explain my point of view is that I'd've rather had no Bond movies between THUNDERBALL and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS than suffer through all those Moore pics.
Old January 1 2010, 03:53 PM   #101
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Rob
If that is the price of survival ... well, the best way I can explain my point of view is that I'd've rather had no Bond movies between THUNDERBALL and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS than suffer through all those Moore pics.
Then you'd miss out on the excellent On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Old January 1 2010, 05:11 PM   #102
Axiom1
Ensign

True. Easily one of the best with one of Barry's better scores to boot.
Axiom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 09:33 PM   #103
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I can certainly live without "Moonraker" and "View To a Kill", but I'm quite fond of "The Spy Who Loved Me", "For Your Eyes Only" and "Octopussy".
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2010, 03:15 PM   #104
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post

Rob
They could have shot it as Dalton's second or third outing, and probably still had a Barry score, since he wouldn't have had to put up with Lewis Gilbert misusing Dolby on MR and other annoyances that chased JB away from JB after TLD.
Old January 2 2010, 04:49 PM   #105
Procutus
Admiral

Rob

While I can understand the need to re-invigorate the franchise, and there were a few elements in J.J.'s version that I liked, overall this is not the way I would've chosen to re-invigorate things. To that extent, I'm with Trevanian on this one. I still can't believe that there wasn't a 'snappy' way to bring Trek into the 21st century movie theater that would've kept with the existing universe.

Abram's film was a good movie; I'm just not convinced that it was really good Star Trek.