RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 722
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 29 2009, 05:14 AM   #31
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Saw My First TOS episode!

ElfEars wrote: View Post
La'T'Freja wrote: View Post
deadman_uk wrote: View Post

Why did NBC order NOT to include Majel Barrett? Is it because she is a woman? I am too young to understand the 60's view on women and race, sorry. I never liked "Number One" anyway, I felt she was emotionless and dull.
I think they did indeed say it was because she's a woman in the commentary/documentary (I forget what I was listening to lol) to that episode that's found on the remastered DVDs. I think the network felt a woman as such an authority figure was unrealistic.
It was in a similar vein to their use of the initials D.C. Fontana instead of billing her as Dorothy Catherine Fontana; they didn't want viewers to be put off by the fact that some episodes were written by a woman. Also, networks at the time were generally unwilling to hire female writers (I also heard at least one of these points somewhere on the DVDs)

Oh the '60's.
I read that test audiences (including women) reacted very badly to her - they couldn't handle the idea of a woman in the position of power and were saying "Who the hell does she thinks she is".

OTOH, producer Herbert Solow later claimed that this was not a reason, and that they were objecting to the actress, not the character, since she was pretty much unknown and cast for being Roddenberry's girlfriend. If that is true, than it's funny that they didn't object when she reappeared in a platinum wig as Christine Chapel.
What they objected to was that she (Majel Barret as 'Number One') would have been the 'second lead'; and if/when the relationship with the show's Executive Producer went bad (GR was a KNOWN womanizer); it could cause major issues for the show's production.

As 'Nurse Chapel', if Majel ever decided to bail; who cares? She's a talking extra at that point, easily replaced.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 03:28 AM   #32
deadman_uk
Commander

I've seen several more episodes including "Charlie X" and "The Naked Time". Both episodes I really enjoyed watching. "The Enemy Within" was pretty good too.

Charlie X reminded me of the Voyager episode "Q2".
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 04:45 AM   #33
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Wow, it would be very cool to see these again for the first time. Enjoy.
I agree.....
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 12:34 PM   #34
I am not Spock
Commodore

Hope you enjoy them Deadman! It sure would be cool to see TOS again for the first time. I've been a fan since I was 12. I'm 27 now, and TOS is my favourite. DS9 and VOY close behind.
Old December 30 2009, 03:00 PM   #35
deadman_uk
Commander

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Hope you enjoy them Deadman! It sure would be cool to see TOS again for the first time. I've been a fan since I was 12. I'm 27 now, and TOS is my favourite. DS9 and VOY close behind.
What? No mention of TNG? why is that? Thanks, I will enjoy them. Kirk is a very different Captain to what I've seen before in Trek. He is similar to Sisko I guess, I don't know.. hard to explain.
Old December 30 2009, 08:44 PM   #36
Steven Of Nine
Commodore

What? No mention of TNG? why is that? Thanks, I will enjoy them. Kirk is a very different Captain to what I've seen before in Trek. He is similar to Sisko I guess, I don't know.. hard to explain.
Your opinion is your own, and I'm jealous of your first-viewing status. But Sisko is not comparable to Kirk other than both are Trek characters.
Old December 30 2009, 11:10 PM   #37
deadman_uk
Commander

Steven Of Nine wrote: View Post
Your opinion is your own, and I'm jealous of your first-viewing status. But Sisko is not comparable to Kirk other than both are Trek characters.
It is an opinion based on watching just a handful of episodes. I compare them both as they are both rather agressive in their roles. Just look when Sisko met Q, he was violent. I can't imagine Picard, Janeway or Archer acting like that but I can with Kirk.

Maybe I am making no sense lol, nevermind