Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 30 2009, 05:44 PM   #121
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

I guess the thing that bothers me the most about this thread is not the varying opinions (to which everyone is entitled); it's the proclamation that the remastered episodes are a "waste of time".

A waste of whose time? The viewer's? Or the people who did the work?

I seriously doubt that Mike Okuda and company felt that they were "wasting their time" when they put forth so much effort into this project.

I know Mr. Okuda reads these forums and posts from time to time. I'd just like to say thank you, Mr. Okuda and your colleagues, for your time and effort. I have loved watching the new CGI effects and truly appreciate the labor of love that went into creating them.

Last edited by Hambone; December 30 2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 05:51 PM   #122
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Hambone wrote: View Post
I guess the time that bothers me the most about this thread is not the varying opinions (to which everyone is entitled); it's the proclamation that the remastered episodes are a "waste of time".

I seriously doubt that Mike Okuda and company felt that they were "wasting their time" when they put forth so much effort into this project.

I know Mr. Okuda reads these forums and posts from time to time. I'd just like to say thank you, Mr. Okuda and your colleagues, for your time and effort. I have loved watching the new CGI effects and truly appreciate the labor of love that went into creating them.
QFFT!

A few disgruntled purists don't speak for all of fandom.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 07:53 PM   #123
RAMA
Vice Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
As I've opined in other threads of this type, the remastering is unnecessary, but so is TOS... or almost anything, for that matter.

I've enjoyed what little I've experienced of TOS-R, and I enjoy and prefer the original versions of the episodes. Both are fun, and neither version looks at all realistic. Each version is a different flavor of "stylized reality," and that's okay.
One simple look at the comparison on the same disk proves this is wrong.
Old December 30 2009, 08:27 PM   #124
Steven Of Nine
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post

Thank you to the makers of TOS-R. Ignore the comments of the "armchair special effects experts" who are posting here
As an amateur filmmaker who worked in 16mm and super8, I have done hundreds of effects shots, all in-camera, some quite successful.

As a professional writer covering the fields of visual effects and cinematography for 19 years (including 4 of the TREK movies), I think I have a faint idea of what I'm talking about.

If you choose to disagree, fine, but don't try to undercut the opinion of others by lowballing their tastes/talents when you don't know their creds.
Don't give a shit if you're Gene Roddenberry. No one's aking you watch Remastered Trek. And the BR disks have both.

Go play with your stone knives.
Old December 31 2009, 12:16 AM   #125
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

What, no bear skins?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:06 AM   #126
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
What, no bear skins?
Replaced by Snuggies!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:09 AM   #127
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Steven Of Nine wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post

Thank you to the makers of TOS-R. Ignore the comments of the "armchair special effects experts" who are posting here
As an amateur filmmaker who worked in 16mm and super8, I have done hundreds of effects shots, all in-camera, some quite successful.

As a professional writer covering the fields of visual effects and cinematography for 19 years (including 4 of the TREK movies), I think I have a faint idea of what I'm talking about.

If you choose to disagree, fine, but don't try to undercut the opinion of others by lowballing their tastes/talents when you don't know their creds.
Don't give a shit if you're Gene Roddenberry. No one's aking you watch Remastered Trek. And the BR disks have both.

Go play with your stone knives.
Is that trekkiespeak for 'go fuck yourself' or am I just reading into this?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 04:08 AM   #128
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Well, that post did have a point: the Blu-Ray version does have both cuts - and in HD, to boot. So both camps have what they want. Nobody really has a reason to complain.
Old December 31 2009, 04:35 AM   #129
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

It's kinda like those who complain about the voice clips on the DST tricorders.

If they bother you that much, don't play them. You can still activate the standard sounds, and never even come near those annoying voice clips.

If the CGI effects bother you that much, don't watch 'em. The originals are on there, too.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 06:07 AM   #130
WHF
Captain

Re: TOS-Remastered: Fantastic, CGI: a waste of time

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
WHF wrote: View Post
Every original series DVD, including the very first single disc releases, are remastered.
Paramount released TOS non remastered in 2004 on 3 DVD box set that you can still buy, and i have them, they are not remastered versions, the cage on disc 7 is still a mix of coulor/black white just like the old cic videos.
I have these sets as well and they are remastered. If you look on the back of the cardboard packaging that it came in it says "..Beautifully remastered in pristine condition..."
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Every original series DVD, including the very first single disc releases, are remastered.
Yes, a little something that's continually being missed.

The big difference in this case is that they've been remastered in high definition, and they've had new CGI effects added, WHICH IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MATTER!

You'd think this group would be a little more technically savvy...
You are quite right, of course, that they have now been remastered in HD but the CGI is optional so one can still watch high definition remastered episodes without CGI. Maybe a better thread title would have been: CGI in TOS: a waste of time.
Old December 31 2009, 09:31 AM   #131
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS-Remastered: Fantastic, CGI: a waste of time

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Paramount released TOS non remastered in 2004 on 3 DVD box set that you can still buy, and i have them, they are not remastered versions, the cage on disc 7 is still a mix of coulor/black white just like the old cic videos.
I have these sets as well and they are remastered. If you look on the back of the cardboard packaging that it came in it says "..Beautifully remastered in pristine condition....
Your confusing terminology, Star trek Enhanced which we have now with the added CGI and in HD is whats being called remastered today and was only started in 2006, Remastered back in 2004 simply meant the episodes had been cleaned up somewhat in sound and picture by going back to the master tapes and adding 5.1 surround sound, those box sets have no added CGI in any of the episodes, if you do have these boxset then you have the original series without the added CGI effects, there is no way you can have those box set with the added CGI effects because enhanced Trek did not come onto being until 2006, two years after those box sets were released....Do you even have those box sets, if you did you would actually know this buy watching the shows on it.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:58 PM   #132
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Hambone wrote: View Post
I guess the thing that bothers me the most about this thread is not the varying opinions (to which everyone is entitled); it's the proclamation that the remastered episodes are a "waste of time".

I'm sure Mike can cope with the fact I think the redone effects are sub-par.

That's not to say I don't get the effort put into things like this - I just think the whole direction it took was wrong, and I can't see the way it was done attracting any new fans (which some say was the point). Thus, IMO, a waste.

As you say, each to their own.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 02:08 PM   #133
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
FalTorPan wrote: View Post
As I've opined in other threads of this type, the remastering is unnecessary, but so is TOS... or almost anything, for that matter.

I've enjoyed what little I've experienced of TOS-R, and I enjoy and prefer the original versions of the episodes. Both are fun, and neither version looks at all realistic. Each version is a different flavor of "stylized reality," and that's okay.
One simple look at the comparison on the same disk proves this is wrong.
If you believe that glowing beams of light in space look realistic, or ships lit with strong ambient light while in interstellar space look realistic, then I stand corrected.
Old December 31 2009, 02:11 PM   #134
TeutonicNights
Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I just think the whole direction it took was wrong
And which direction would that be if I may ask?
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 02:27 PM   #135
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I just think the whole direction it took was wrong
And which direction would that be if I may ask?

I said in the OP.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote