Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 22 2009, 07:06 AM   #196
Prologic9
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

I have to disagree with deg in that, the original E never made sense in terms of scale.

For instance the imagined layout of the interiors was based on aircraft carriers of the time. To fit the supposed decks in there you'd never have as high a ceiling as the interior sets did, and even then you're looking at nothing more than a plate of steel between each deck. I'm not sure what others imagine under the floor of a starship, but I imagine artificial gravity generators and all manner of conduits and access tubes to exist between each deck, and that takes up a lot of space that no one accounts for.

As for the shuttle set, it wasn't even full size. It was a 20' mock up of a 30' shuttle. Scaled to the accepted dimensions the Shuttle-bay is nothing more than a Shuttle-garage. Single car.

Vector, to figure out your scale I think should be easy. Figure out the basic size of an interior deck and everything accompanying it, and how many decks you want it to have (the same as the original I would imagine) and then scale the outside up to fit that in.
Prologic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 07:13 AM   #197
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Make it 97 kilometers long with a crew of beings 1 mile tall. That'll mess with 'em.
Old December 22 2009, 07:46 AM   #198
JJohnson
Captain

Either the 947' or the other 1080' scale work for me. I forget who it was, but I saw someone who was scaling blueprints for NCC-1701 based on the 1080' scale, and it looked pretty good.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 03:20 PM   #199
ST-One
Vice Admiral

I'd say, make her a large as you want her to be.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 05:34 PM   #200
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Again, I have no intention of scaling the ship up to a degree that would be immediately obvious, I'd just like to create a little extra room in certain areas like the hangar deck. This isn't just an intellectual exercise; I plan to use this model for my own version of The Doomsday Machine, which obviously involves some shots of the hangar deck interior, and it's going to be used by someone else for another upcoming project as well.

If I'm going to do this at all, I will probably go with the 1080' measurement as there is at least some justification for that and it should be enough for my purposes.
Old December 22 2009, 06:36 PM   #201
ancient
Vice Admiral

Just as long as the ship and shuttle don't wind up being about the same size like in the original canon episode, you can do whatever you want.
Old December 23 2009, 01:36 AM   #202
BK613
Captain

If it were me and I were going to go with a figure that wasn't of my own determination, I'd go with Shaw's 1067'. Why? Because he has posted a great deal of that analysis here in this forum so I am (somewhat) privy to the processes of how that figure came about.
Old December 23 2009, 05:16 AM   #203
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Albertese wrote: View Post
I might be okay with the other common conjecture of 1080'. but then, it's your baby.
That's what I was thinking. 1080' is only a 14% increase over 947', but oh what a difference those fourteen points make for notoriously tight spots. I'm not a 36 degree absolutist, but there are many other locations on the Enterprise where 1080' makes more sense, like the shuttle hangar and fitting two reasonably-spaced decks into the saucer rim.

Last edited by Professor Moriarty; December 23 2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: corrected my math error on the bridge offset. Tsk tsk tsk... rookie mistake ;)
Professor Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 01:53 AM   #204
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

For the shuttle-bay alone I'd say go with a larger scale.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 01:57 AM   #205
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Venardhi wrote: View Post
For the shuttle-bay alone I'd say go with a larger scale.
Agreed; for the shuttle bay especially, but also if it will help the rim of the primary hull make a little more sense, as Prof. M. suggests.

Last edited by TrekkieMonster; December 29 2009 at 04:19 PM.
TrekkieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 03:21 AM   #206
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

As usual Vektor that's some beautiful work.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 04:50 PM   #207
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'm off work starting Thursday of this week and I hope to take advantage of the downtime to try re-scaling this baby, probably to the 1080' measurement. I'll see how that works with the hangar deck interior and the saucer rim and proceed from there.

I also hope to make some progress on the Grandeur, which is LOOOOONG overdue for an update. Maybe by next week I'll have something new to show for both.
Old December 31 2009, 06:14 AM   #208
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^that'd be a great way to start off the New Year!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 07:13 PM   #209
Wingsley
Commodore

I have silly question to throw in here...

If you decide to make the TOS-era Starship Enterprise a full 1,080 feet in length, (or whatever measurement you decide to settle on) does that decision also say something about the dimensions of the TMP-refit Starship Enterprise as well? Would she also be the same length, or would she be proportionally different? Or would you not want to touch that issue?

Last edited by Wingsley; December 31 2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo correction
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 07:56 PM   #210
Ptrope
Agitator

I'd think that the TMP-refit would be mostly irrelevant, since the idea here is to only rationalize the TOS-era ship somewhat (which I'm totally behind!). I'd leave the other issues to whomever wants to make a refit of Vektor's Enterprise .