Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 25 2009, 10:14 AM   #91
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

I have season 1-2 on BR and i love the new effects, why, well because Star trek has in no way changed with these remastered version, the most important part of Star trek has always been the stories and the charactors and that has not changed in any way with the remastered version, all the stuff that i love about the original series remains intact, all they have done in update a part of Trek for me that was never i that important, they effects were there to help the story along but for me original Trek has always been about the stories and the characters.

And having TOS in HD has been like watching the show for the first time all over again, but i suppose anyhting that can draw me more into TOS is always a bonus.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 04:41 PM   #92
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah but all the things I love about the original series includes the original effects and that big, beautiful, hand-crafted starship model.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 05:53 PM   #93
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
The quality of the writing and performances and cutting and such is the main factor, I agree; but to me, the low-end production values of the live-action TOS shoots are a lot more disagreeable to the eye than most of the VFX shots (about half of which are totally watchable for me) ... on the other hand, the often cartoonish -R vfx have kept me from watching a full new ep in this incarnation, because it is like watching a movie rough cut with animatics in place of finals.
I agree w/ what you've written about the VFX shots. However (and I seem to be in the minority based upon others' posting) I still don't see many glaring issues w/ the live-action shots.

The other day, I saw the first really obvious flaw. In Mirror, Mirror, when Scott and McCoy climb the ladder to the little upper-level engineering room, I could see the seam where two wall pieces were put together.

Otherwise (and I am looking for them), I don't see any issues.

Doug
Pretty much every planet ground set on stage fails for me, (though most are better than early TNG like HIDE & Q) ... set materials and styling are not really period (60s-designed stuff looked cooler, which is why the chairs are the only real period thing in TOS), they reflect what was used -- wood.

I don't find any of these wholly objectionable, but I find all of them a lot higher up on the 'if you had to tamper with the original, touch me FIRST' than the visual effects, which are usually brief cuts that go right by (and I only find about a third or a quarter of them to be really flawed, some of the ship shots in TOS are really solid), and in their original form, don't have the low dynamic range flaws of the -r CG, which is what registers (to me) as cartoonish.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 06:48 PM   #94
man named Gorn
Lieutenant

This thread is a waste of time, not the remaster Fx in the eps....tit for tat, people. Paramount is not worried about the uber anal retentive types that HATE everything
Old December 25 2009, 08:12 PM   #95
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Yeah but all the things I love about the original series includes the original effects and that big, beautiful, hand-crafted starship model.
But that's not changed, the originals versions have been released on Video, DVD and now HD, so its not like the remastered version are replacing the originals, they are still there for anybody who wants them, i have them on the original CIC video release and the DVD release, but i found the HD remastered versions really added to my enjoyment of TOS immensely not only for the few remastered effects in each episode but seeing TOS in HD is just awesome.

Old December 26 2009, 02:47 AM   #96
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Note at least one of the links to the side are for clips with color tv's from the late 50's to early 60's. Those are the sets that Star Trek was made for, as well as the large number of black and white sets still in use. After all, not everyone had a brand new RCA Victor or Zenith (although Star Trek sold a lot of 'em); a lot of folks continued to get by with the old Dumont.
exactly..though the "In Living Color" ads reached a fever pitch during the 60s when Color TV became much more affordable..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S60N2W5xzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxkzgGdqcM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82zM...eature=related
Old December 26 2009, 02:54 AM   #97
I am not Spock
Commodore

I own and have watched all of TOS- R. My verdict? Thumbs up. The new effects are just icing on the cake. The stories remain intact. I liked things such as the Romulan Bird of Prey in 'The Enterprise Incident' and the D-7 fleet in Errand of Mercy.

It just adds a bit of flavour, thats all. And you can always watch the original versions on Blu Ray if you don't like the new effects.
Old December 26 2009, 01:27 PM   #98
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
JohnChod wrote: View Post
Just leave the original classic alone and let's appreciate it for what it was.
I agree 100%. And anyone who just can't get into or watch classic Trek because of it's "Cheesy" effects is too superficial to understand what Star Trek is all about in the first place. And anyways, the new effects look like Playstation 2 cutscenes. Very cartoony.
Old December 27 2009, 11:19 AM   #99
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I,ve got season 1 and season 2 on blu ray and like the new cgi and added special effects. The story telling has not chaged and Wow the enterprise looks stunning and the planets look so real !!!

If you are still not happy with it check out the doomday machine episode its great .
Old December 27 2009, 03:52 PM   #100
Forbin
Admiral

Oh, I thought the strafing run along the Doomsday Machine looked kinda stupid.
Old December 27 2009, 05:37 PM   #101
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Oh, i think all the remastered effects are fantastic......see what i did there.

Old December 27 2009, 06:55 PM   #102
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Oh, i think all the remastered effects are fantastic......see what i did there.
No, I can't see it, what you did is too dated for modern bbs readers to understand, why not have a computer generate your next post to 'remaster' your text into something sufficiently cartoony to be compelling reading for the next generation.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 09:37 AM   #103
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Okay, so what's stopping you from watching the remastered episodes with the original FX on blu-ray? If it's that you don't have a blu-ray player, well... sorry, I'm not buying you one.
Old December 28 2009, 11:36 AM   #104
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^When you think of it this whole thread is a "waste of time", every version is availble for everybody, people who dont like the remastered versions will or can have the original versions on DVD, the BR HD release has made it so anybody can pick what version of TOS they want to watch.

Its complaining for the sake of complaining, its not like the original version have been replaced, people who don't want to watch the remastered versions are not going to go out on buy them now are they, so i fail to see whats to complain about.

Old December 28 2009, 04:07 PM   #105
Forbin
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Okay, so what's stopping you from watching the remastered episodes with the original FX on blu-ray? If it's that you don't have a blu-ray player, well... sorry, I'm not buying you one.
I have BR player, but I also spent $600 buying the entire series in its first DVD release (having also bought it in VHS, and some even in Beta before that), and I'm really sick of having to rebuy everything I like every time some schmuck develops a new video format.