Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 24 2009, 06:24 AM   #1
deadman_uk
Commander

Saw My First TOS episode!

I've seen all major Star Trek shows (ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY) with exception of TOS. I managed to get hold of TOS this week (Re-mastered edition) and just saw the first episode (The Cage Extended Version). I have to say, I am very impressed. To be honest, I put TOS off because it's the 60's with poor special effects etc but from what I've seen so far, it is pretty good and much better than I first thought. Are further episodes good like this?

What I don't understand is why Captain Pike is in command and I am not sure how/when Kirk comes into it. I guess I will find out soon enough.
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Re: Saw My First TOS episode!

deadman_uk wrote: View Post
I've seen all major Star Trek shows (ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY) with exception of TOS. I managed to get hold of TOS this week (Re-mastered edition) and just saw the first episode (The Cage Extended Version). I have to say, I am very impressed. To be honest, I put TOS off because it's the 60's with poor special effects etc but from what I've seen so far, it is pretty good and much better than I first thought. Are further episodes good like this?

What I don't understand is why Captain Pike is in command and I am not sure how/when Kirk comes into it. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Yes, there are many more great episodes.

Kirk is not in The Cage because The Cage was the first pilot for Star Trek, filmed and used to sell the show to the network. Jeffery Hunter (Pike) was originally cast as the ship's captain. The first 'real' pilot is Where No Man Has Gone Before, with Shatner as Kirk in the role.

Most of the footage from 'The Cage' is re-used in a semi-flashback sort of episode called 'The Menagerie'.
Old December 24 2009, 06:39 AM   #3
deadman_uk
Commander

Anticitizen wrote: View Post

Kirk is not in The Cage because The Cage was the first pilot for Star Trek, filmed and used to sell the show to the network. Jeffery Hunter (Pike) was originally cast as the ship's captain. The first 'real' pilot is Where No Man Has Gone Before, with Shatner as Kirk in the role.

Most of the footage from 'The Cage' is re-used in a semi-flashback sort of episode called 'The Menagerie'.
I'm confused, if the first official pilot was "Where no man has gone before" which is episode 1x03, what about 1x01 (The man trap) and 1x02 (Charlie-X)?? These have Shatner in them, so he was introduced BEFORE the pilot?
Old December 24 2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Fleet Captain

I'm confused, if the first official pilot was "Where no man has gone before" which is episode 1x03, what about 1x01 (The man trap) and 1x02 (Charlie-X)?? These have Shatner in them, so he was introduced BEFORE the pilot?
They aired "The Man Trap" first.
26138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 06:45 AM   #5
deadman_uk
Commander

26138 wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that make "The Man Trap" the pilot? Usually the pilot is the first episode.
Old December 24 2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Jeri
Vice Admiral

We just bought all three seasons on BD, and I started with Man Trap. Is The Cage on these disks somewhere? I didn't look. Just started playing.

We'd already seen them in HD, because we had first season in HD. But I just like to check and make sure they are alright...
Old December 24 2009, 06:48 AM   #7
deadman_uk
Commander

Is "The Menagerie" basically a clone of "The Cage"? A clone but with Kirk in it?

Jeri wrote: View Post
We just bought all three seasons on BD, and I started with Man Trap. Is The Cage on these disks somewhere? I didn't look. Just started playing.

We'd already seen them in HD, because we had first season in HD. But I just like to check and make sure they are alright...
What?! It's in HD? Argh, wish I could watch the series in HD. I have the re-mastered SD version.
Old December 24 2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Jeri
Vice Admiral

It's on bluray disc now; I meant we also have season one of the HDTV version -- the version that lost out to bluray.

Gawd, aren't you up awfully early?

The Menagerie is a two-parter, btw.
Old December 24 2009, 07:18 AM   #9
gottacook
Commander

For those new to the show: "The Cage" was a title retrospectively given to the first Star Trek pilot made at Desilu in 1964 and rejected by CBS (which was about to purchase Lost in Space) and by NBC. However, NBC ordered a second pilot without the Number One character (Majel Barrett). Jeffrey Hunter declined to appear again as Pike, hence Shatner as Kirk. Three scripts were offered, from which NBC chose "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (the others were "Mudd's Women" and "The Omega Glory"). This second pilot was shot in 1965 and led to the series. A number of episodes were shot before any had aired, and "Where No Man" ended up as the third episode broadcast in fall '66. (The Making of Star Trek, published in 1968 while the show was still in production, has a wealth of detail on the show's origins and early decision-making.)
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

I envy you. I wish I could go back and watch all the TOS episodes for the first time again...

But yeah, you are in for a great ride. TOS is excellent, and you have many, many more classic shows to enjoy.

And just remember: "The Cage" was the rejected pilot. The official first episode wth Kirk and crew is "Where no man has gone before"

And the footage from "The Cage" (the rejected pilot episode) was later incorporated into TOS's only 2-part episode "The Menagerie"

And on the current DVD/blu-ray sets, they have the episodes in air-date order NOT production order. That's why "The Man Trap" is listed as the first episode. It was the first episode aired on TV, NOT the first episode produced...
Old December 24 2009, 12:28 PM   #11
bbailey861
Admiral

Wow, it would be very cool to see these again for the first time. Enjoy.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:18 PM   #12
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

When I first watched TOS, I started watching TOS with The Man Trap, which was OK and I liked it enough, but then I decided to switch to the production order and watched The Cage - and it really blew me away. Great episode. But apparently the TV station at the time rejected it as "too cerebral". Go figure.

I can see why Roddenberry wanted to sneak The Cage back into the show somehow - it's too good a story to keep the viewers from seeing - so that's how Menagerie came about. Menagerie is practically a sequel to The Cage. It's a two-parter, and the first part deals with the framing story exclusively; in the second part, they incorporated most of the stuff from the unaired pilot, The Cage - you'll see how, and what a clever way they came up with to have Pike in it even though Jeffrey Hunter did not want to play the role anymore. When you've already seen The Cage, Menagerie part 2 can be a little boring as its feels like a clip show, but the ending is very different and wraps things up very nicely.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

26138 wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that make "The Man Trap" the pilot? Usually the pilot is the first episode.
A pilot is made to sell a series to the network, but doesn't always end up being aired first. See what happened with Firefly on the Fox network a few years back as an example: network didn't like the pilot Wheedon submitted, so The Train Job was written and aired first. The actual pilot episode for the series ended up being the last episode that Fox aired.
Old December 24 2009, 08:16 PM   #14
JoeD80
Captain

These are the numbers following air-date order, not production order. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the 2nd produced (counting "The Cage" as the first), "The Man Trap" was the 6th, "Charlie X" was the 8th. The network or the studio often shuffles episodes around to give a balance to the variety of stories on a particular series (at least that's the theory; sometimes it just leads to viewer confusion as in the Firefly example above).
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

If your inclined, do yourself a favor and watch the first 12 episodes in Production order, and NOT broadcast order, as for the first half season they had a lot of small internal continuity nods. For example The Corbomite Manuever (which IMO is the best Star Trek episode made because it really captures the essence of what 'Star Trek' was abount in 55 minutes (YMMV ) was the first episode filmed after teh pilot, but was the 10th episode aired because of all the SFX shots required for it).
Noname Given is online now   Reply With Quote