TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: CGI Star Trek
Yes 58 76.32%
No 18 23.68%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 3 2009, 01:07 AM   #46
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Re: A Star trek CGI series

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Any regular reader of Future of Trek forum will know I've been a big supporter of CGI animation.

Admiral Pike wrote:
A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.
this is key to a live-action series budget as the makeup/costumes are costly and time consuming.
Although the art department on a Trek movie has the largest number of people building those sets. In CG one person can build a CG model of a location, another person does the lighting, another person the atmospheric effects. Even if you triple this it is minimal compared to live-action. for making a set/location see The Making of Tython in Knights of the Old Republic [5 minute video] [see at 3:38 specifically]
I've posted these 4 videos before but here they all are in one place.

3 videos show what is possible with a CG animated series with characters, story, camera moves, slow-motion, costumes, alien characters's head design, lighting, action, effects.

Star Wars: The Old Republic cinematic trailer

Resident Evil: Degeneration Red Band (Movie Trailer)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2:12 trailer)
(after 30 second ad WMV or QT)

A Trek CGI series has this potential too. And it could go as dark in tone as you want especially for an extended edition director's cut on Blu-ray/DVD that wouldn't be suitable for broadcast TV's TV Parental Guidelines system's TV-PG and TV-14 ratings. Not just in violence but in content like the BBC not showing episodes of TNG.
As I've already said here and here, I've wanted to see a Trek CGI show myself (even a 2D cel show would be okay). But as I said before, I want this show to have no cartoony funny styles like The Incredibles, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meat Balls, Monster House, etc.-if it does, I'm not watching. Have said show look like the Resident Evil CGI DVD, or Star Trek Aurora, or Star Wars: The Old Republic, Resident Evil: Degeneration,Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and it will be amazing.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; December 3 2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added extra details
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:15 AM   #47
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

regemet wrote: View Post
Well I became pro C G I after watching Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet
Have you ever seen Reboot, Battle Planets, Transformers: Beast Wars, Weird-O's, Iron Man: Animated Adventures? Those are all amazing as well (Captain Scarlet is too).
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:18 AM   #48
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I would love a full-out CGI remake of ST:TAS.

I mean, let's face it, TAS was very much a product of its time. While the storylines were often very entertaining, the animation sucked big time. It's kept TAS from being recognized as real Trek, I think.

A CGI remake of TAS would have the added advantage of not having to hire any actors or anything, because the existing voice tracks could still be used.

How's Ptrope's ST:Reanimated going, by the way?
Old December 3 2009, 01:56 AM   #49
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

I don't think the animated series performances or stroies hold up so well for kids today. If we see a CG series I would want it to be voiced by JJ's cast doing the characters from the new film. Or perhaps a depiction of Klingons and Federation characters from Star Trek Online.
Old December 3 2009, 06:04 AM   #50
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

TheQman wrote: View Post
I would be all for this. It would take out some of the personality quirks that people eventually get sick of. Also, the characters never have to age and you can do things otherwise not possible with humans.
Which quirks?
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 01:04 PM   #51
Nevyn
Lieutenant

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. They have a Star Wars the Clone Wars CGI series, Transformers Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders, Wall-E, and it's all pretty good. The same could work for Star Trek. And maybe this way we can see more non-hunanoid aliens. But it would have to have really good stories to make up for the loss of real actors. If done properly, it could certainly work.
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 03:46 PM   #52
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I'm unconvinced. I'm not opposed to CGI - indeed I think that for some things, like space action scenes, it's been the best option since the mid-90s, but in a TV show like this I think I still need to see real actors.
Old December 6 2009, 03:55 PM   #53
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
it's been the best option since the mid-90s, but in a TV show like this I think I still need to see real actors.
Pemmer Harge do you feel TAS worked to tell Trek stories (even in the 30 minute format?)

As many have said it's about the story & script and characters.
I feel it worked as we all knew the TOS characters and having them voiced by almost all the original actors helped immensely IMHO.

The thing with The Clone Wars on the Cartoon Network is it is not entirely made for children but it mostly is.
It is rated TV-Y7
(Directed to Older Children -- This program is designed for children age 7 and above.)
according to IMDB.com

If CBS Television were to make a Trek CGI animated show TV-PG
(Parental Guidance Suggested -- This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children.)
then it would obviously have stronger content as far as complex stories and such.

I've said in the past I would prefer if it were created with the intention of getting a TV-14 rating as some VOY and ENT episodes received.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 10:11 PM   #54
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

If they did re-animate TAS in CGI they should really do just a best of set of episodes and release it on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old December 9 2009, 01:56 PM   #55
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

GhostFaceSanta wrote: View Post
If they did re-animate TAS in CGI they should really do just a best of set of episodes and release it on DVD/Blu-Ray.
If they were to do this and only re-use the original dialogue track I would like the music redone by using the written music scores and rearrange for a TOS style of orchestral scoring to be able to mix it in 5.1 or at least spread over Left-Center-Right front. Perhaps no music reused in an episode?
Also new and more detailed sound effects including foley of footsteps should be added to bring the sound effects up to modern standards.
Old December 13 2009, 09:31 PM   #56
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

If you were wondering if Star Trek Online the new videogame would have any crossover from the new film well

Star Trek’s new Spock Zachary Quinto announced he will be the "voice’ of the upcoming massive multiplayer game Star Trek Online.
It is possible this means Quinto will be involved in the marketing of the game and could appear in promotions or commercials, or he may possibly be adding his voice to the game. It is unlikely he would be voicing the character of Spock in the game as Star Trek Online is set in the prime timeline in the 25th century.
http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/13/zach...r-trek-online/

This is good news as it would be possible to also have these new actors voice a few smaller roles of their characters whenever they would be shown in a potential CGI Trek series.
Old December 22 2009, 11:17 AM   #57
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

trailer 'looks like' Trek

Let's just say Star Ocean is heavily-influenced by Trek.

If Star Trek was made in Japan and starred a bunch of angsty, futuristic, computer-generated teenagers instead of B-movie actors, and if it was a video game, it would probably look a lot like this.

At least the part of the trailer before the sword fights and the demonstrations of language options.
a commenter writes:
...it looks kinda like a Japanese version of "Star Trek-Meets-Mass Effect",

Dec 21st 2009
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International trailer video at
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/21/st...dly-goes-into/

Not that this is what a Trek CGI series would look like but the framing of shots and camera movement, and ship exterior type shots probably yes.
Old December 22 2009, 03:10 PM   #58
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Middle Earther wrote: View Post
As long as the stories are thought provoking and entertaining, I'm all for it!!
I second this.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 12:41 AM   #59
Flake
Commodore

How about a CGI series for the kids (6-13) about RED SQUAD, the elite Starfleet Academy cadets? In DS9 it was said they circumnavigate the Federation which is bound to mean lots of interesting stuff going on!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 12:57 AM   #60
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: trailer 'looks like' Trek

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Let's just say Star Ocean is heavily-influenced by Trek.

If Star Trek was made in Japan and starred a bunch of angsty, futuristic, computer-generated teenagers instead of B-movie actors, and if it was a video game, it would probably look a lot like this.

At least the part of the trailer before the sword fights and the demonstrations of language options.
a commenter writes:
...it looks kinda like a Japanese version of "Star Trek-Meets-Mass Effect",

Dec 21st 2009
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International trailer video at
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/21/st...dly-goes-into/

Not that this is what a Trek CGI series would look like but the framing of shots and camera movement, and ship exterior type shots probably yes.
Looks nice I may have to get that.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote