Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 17 2009, 06:13 AM   #226
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

Re: "Polaris"

I like the uniforms, too. Still, they do remind me of the costumes on Star Trek: Enterprise. Am I the only one on that?
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2009, 09:12 AM   #227
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^No, you're not. In fact, when this image started to load, I thought it was a screencap from "In A Mirror Darkly."
Old December 17 2009, 12:01 PM   #228
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I'm sure that this isn't set in stone, and that editing will largely determine this, but what is the approximate running length of the movie? Just curious.
Old December 17 2009, 02:09 PM   #229
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

About an hour.

Enterprise was not one of my conscious jumping-off points for those outfits, but I can see where the resemblance might lay - mainly in that stripe that surrounds the yoke. In fact, in an earlier version the stripe was satin gold and someone felt it looked too much like an Enterprise command uniform. So I changed it to silver. There's also the matter of what the outfit lacks - basically, bright colors other than the stripe and patch - which groups it with Enterprise rather than other Trek shows.

Other than that I emphasized buckles, buttons, pockets and other detail partly because they make sense and partly because shows like Trek don't.

I think the main, non-Trek inspiration for the senior officers' outfits is probaby pretty obvious. I only steal from the most obvious...oh, I'm sorry, it's "homage." It's always homage.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 12:42 AM   #230
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

To me, the uniforms look more like a cross between those from an old-school scifi movie and what I would expect from naval uniforms. I don't see anything particularly Trek-ish about them.

The images you've been posting in this thread could very nearly pass for stills from a new scifi TV show- well done.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 01:10 AM   #231
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Really, maybe someone will swipe one and start a rumor somewhere...
Old December 18 2009, 04:32 AM   #232
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Couple of space marines...

Old December 18 2009, 05:31 AM   #233
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I like the little ray gun. Any hints on what it's made from for us prop fanatics?
Old December 18 2009, 06:01 AM   #234
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Odds and ends - some fairly common, but parts of it are from a 1962 squirt gun I bought on eBay.

The work to finish these and make them practical was done by Mike Bednar and Dennis Stine.
Old December 18 2009, 08:07 AM   #235
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

The Dennis Stines of TrekPropZone and the HeroComm pencil buck discovery, by any chance?
Old December 18 2009, 10:11 AM   #236
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to thesovereignman

Dennis wrote: View Post

Odds and ends - some fairly common, but parts of it are from a 1962 squirt gun I bought on eBay.

The work to finish these and make them practical was done by Mike Bednar and Dennis Stine.
If you guys make a sequel in MD, I want in! As a handyman, I might be of use back stage

I like the phaser(?) but I wouldn't have made them so light, myself. I would have made them black or very dark grey, without the strips of stuff. maybe added a couple leds? but cool design, nonetheless
Old December 18 2009, 10:39 AM   #237
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

The light-metallic-blue-with-holographic-sides is very WOK phaser. Dennis can probably chime in if that was intentional or not.

Old December 18 2009, 02:30 PM   #238
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That Dennis Stines, yeah.

I didn't dictate the finishing or detail of the props. I had a primer-colored prototype which I had assembled, badly, and Mike saw it and was enthusiastic enough to take the project on, refine the design, and get it all done in record time. Everything about the finishing and detailing and electronics are his and Dennis Stine's work, and I'm more than 100% satisfied - I'm thrilled. It's remarkable what talented people do when 1) you don't try to control them and 2) you don't tell them "it has to look exactly like this other thing in this drawing/episode/movie."

Mike also designed and constructed the "inhibitor collar" that Gaitanis wears. We joke that it looks like the Apple iCollar version of that thing the Triskelions used.

There's one working hero gun - not "phaser" - that has internal lighting installed. The others have lenticular decals applied to the sides.

thesovereignman, we're always happy to have more folks participating. We're doing a presentation on the film at Farpoint in Baltimore in about two months - you ever attend those? We do have two more phases of production coming up over the next six to eight months.

After working on this project I'm even more convinced than I was before that people who speak on their own behalf about their "vision" for such are usually gasbags trying take credit for the imagination, inspiration and just plain hard work of other people.

A movie like this is something we do together, and everything we've done belongs to all of us. That said, we need to be quick to credit work and to correct oversights and misimpressions.

I've asked folks to use good judgment about what kind of images and reporting to put online, but ultimately no one has to clear such stuff with me or anyone else.

The photo of the pistols above, BTW, was supplied to me by John Broughton of "Starship Farragut" (he's the marine on the left in the above photo) and originally posted at http://www.mycaptainsblog.com

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; December 18 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old December 18 2009, 03:41 PM   #239
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Elf Malakai wrote: View Post
The Dennis Stines of TrekPropZone and the HeroComm pencil buck discovery, by any chance?
Hey, look! It's my old pencil box!
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 05:58 PM   #240
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to thesovereignman

Dennis wrote: View Post
That Dennis Stines, yeah.

I didn't dictate the finishing or detail of the props. I had a primer-colored prototype which I had assembled, badly, and Mike saw it and was enthusiastic enough to take the project on, refine the design, and get it all done in record time. Everything about the finishing and detailing and electronics are his and Dennis Stine's work, and I'm more than 100% satisfied - I'm thrilled. It's remarkable what talented people do when 1) you don't try to control them and 2) you don't tell them "it has to look exactly like this other thing in this drawing/episode/movie."

Mike also designed and constructed the "inhibitor collar" that Gaitanis wears. We joke that it looks like the Apple iCollar version of that thing the Triskelions used.

There's one working hero gun - not "phaser" - that has internal lighting installed. The others have lenticular decals applied to the sides.

thesovereignman, we're always happy to have more folks participating. We're doing a presentation on the film at Farpoint in Baltimore in about two months - you ever attend those? We do have two more phases of production coming up over the next six to eight months.

After working on this project I'm even more convinced than I was before that people who speak on their own behalf about their "vision" for such are usually gasbags trying take credit for the imagination, inspiration and just plain hard work of other people.

A movie like this is something we do together, and everything we've done belongs to all of us. That said, we need to be quick to credit work and to correct oversights and misimpressions.

I've asked folks to use good judgment about what kind of images and reporting to put online, but ultimately no one has to clear such stuff with me or anyone else.

The photo of the pistols above, BTW, was supplied to me by John Broughton of "Starship Farragut" (he's the marine on the left in the above photo) and originally posted at http://www.mycaptainsblog.com

I've not attended one of those, but my father lives in baltimore, and I used to live there. I was thinking about going to stay with him for a while, and if you need help, I'm happy to help. I **might** be able to arrange storage and transport for your sets as well, if you do decide to preserve them. my father owns a warehouse and a trucking company.