Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 17 2009, 02:52 PM   #2461
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Uefa have banned CSKA Moscow duo Alexei Berezutski and Sergei Ignashevich for one game each for failing doping tests.
So Rio Ferdinand gets 8 months in 2004 and these two get 1 game Not too mention do you remember that Russian player who helped knock Wales out of the EURO 2004 playoffs who tested positive, he didn't get 8 months did he ?
Old December 17 2009, 04:09 PM   #2462
Roger Wilco
Admiral

How convenient that they don't have to kick CSKA out of the competition now...
Old December 17 2009, 04:32 PM   #2463
Jax
Admiral

UEFA and FIFA are weak on cheats because there all a bunch of FAT GREEDY TICKET TOUTING BASTARDS themsevles.
Old December 18 2009, 05:39 PM   #2464
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Interesting draw for the European cups - they usually tout some dream tie or other, but it's very rare they actually happen. To get both Mourinho and Beckham's return to their former clubs is genuinely surprising. Weird how the English and Italian clubs getting drawn together isn't it? Inter, Milan and Roma must be so, so sick of England by now.

I'd anticipate progression from all the English sides except Fulham. Shakhtar Donestk, victory over whom gives the reward of Ajax or Juventus? Ouch.

Roger after watching your boys and Celtic last night I can see why you have a winter break! Was that snow typical weather for your parts at this time of year?
Old December 18 2009, 08:01 PM   #2465
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Yeah, Fulham won't be pleased with that. Still, they are a better side than they are given credit for, and there is still a good chance the Old Lady might make an appearance at Craven Cottage.

Liverpool's draw is kinder, but Unirea are no mugs. They did well in the Champions League, and the way we're playing, it won't be a walkover.

Everton's is unpredictable, as neither they nor Sporting have been particularly impressive this season.
Old December 19 2009, 05:23 PM   #2466
Roger Wilco
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Roger after watching your boys and Celtic last night I can see why you have a winter break! Was that snow typical weather for your parts at this time of year?
I don't know if it "typical" but it's definitely not unusual.
[btw. what a stupid match, but very typical of our EC season, phantastic start and then a solid kick in the nuts. ]
Old December 19 2009, 06:04 PM   #2467
Jax
Admiral

Since we are near the half way mark in the PL season I thought I would look back at my prediction in the summer to see how close I am...

My Prediction

1. Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Liverpool
Everton
Manchester City
Aston Villa
Tottenham Hostpur
West Ham Utd
Fulham
Sunderland
12. Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanders
Stoke City
Wigan Athletic
Wolves
Birmingham City
Portsmouth
Burnley
Hull City
Am not doing too bad with Chelsea, man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Fulham, Sunderland and bottom half is hit n miss. I blame my Liverpool prediction on the fact I didn't think RAFA was stupid enough to sell Alonso and Everton on injuries
Old December 19 2009, 07:10 PM   #2468
Jax
Admiral

The wires are going crazy over this report...

Manchester City are to release a statement confirming speculation that Mark Hughes has be sacked and replaced by Roberto Mancini.
Poor choice IMO because I don't rate Mancini and he wonly began to dominate Italy after the fix scandal that threw Juventus out of the league. Also he never did anything in Europe, they should of tried hard to get Hiddink or Mourinho.
Old December 19 2009, 07:35 PM   #2469
StolenThunder
Poster

That's Hughes gone, Mancini in. He's got a fair bit of work to do before Manchester City are consistently competitive I think.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2009, 09:36 PM   #2470
Jax
Admiral

If West Ham lose tommorow they will be bottom at Christmas and only 1 club in the 17 year history of the Premier League have been bottom at christmas only to avoid relegation (West Brom). However I don't blame Zola because the buys have been done by director of football Nani something, which proves once again that MANAGERS and only managers should be doing the buying and selling of players.

If the Hammers do get relegated for the 2nd time this decade then it will be a fire sale in the summer with the likes of Green, Upson, Parker, Noble, Cole a few of there better players who will be up for sale. Booby More must be spinning in his grave
Old December 20 2009, 11:56 PM   #2471
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

*Rubs hands gleefully*

The Hammers pegged back Chelsea, United lost to Fulham, and Arsenal took 3 points from Hull Brown. Great weekend.

Arsenal are looking for a striker in January, I have to say I've been impressed with Bobby Zamora of late. He hasn't got the technical ability of your typical Arsenal player, but he's hard working, a big battering ram, and holds up play well.

Also, I understand Bayern are willing to get Luca Toni go on a free in January. Surely that's worth a look? At 32 he hasn't got a long career ahead of him so he probably wouldn't get in the way of our younger players coming through.
Old December 21 2009, 12:07 AM   #2472
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Toni has been horrible for a long time now and Bayern won't let him go for free. I really doubt you'd be happy with him at Arsenal.
Old December 22 2009, 12:14 AM   #2473
MNM
Captain

JaxMas wrote: View Post
Uefa have banned CSKA Moscow duo Alexei Berezutski and Sergei Ignashevich for one game each for failing doping tests.
So Rio Ferdinand gets 8 months in 2004 and these two get 1 game Not too mention do you remember that Russian player who helped knock Wales out of the EURO 2004 playoffs who tested positive, he didn't get 8 months did he ?
Rio got the long suspension because he failed to show up for the test, the CSKA players showed up, and while they failed it, the drug they were found to be using wasnt on the list of banned substance or something like that (I forget the name of the list) which is why they got a very small suspension and the club wasnt kicked out of Europe.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 04:44 PM   #2474
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

JaxMas wrote: View Post
If West Ham lose tommorow they will be bottom at Christmas and only 1 club in the 17 year history of the Premier League have been bottom at christmas only to avoid relegation (West Brom). However I don't blame Zola because the buys have been done by director of football Nani something, which proves once again that MANAGERS and only managers should be doing the buying and selling of players.

If the Hammers do get relegated for the 2nd time this decade then it will be a fire sale in the summer with the likes of Green, Upson, Parker, Noble, Cole a few of there better players who will be up for sale. Booby More must be spinning in his grave
I think this year we might see the Curse of Christmas broken. Portsmouth are looking in reasonable shape at the moment and Grant knows what he's doing. There's a long way to go, sure, and they'lll be losing about 5-6 players for the African Cup. However, they're only 3 points from safety and have half a season to make it up. I predicted them for the drop like you did, but right now I think Hull, Bolton and Burnley are more likely to fall into trouble while Portsmouth scrape their way out.
Old December 22 2009, 07:39 PM   #2475
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Toni has been horrible for a long time now and Bayern won't let him go for free. I really doubt you'd be happy with him at Arsenal.
Well they've said they'd be willing to let him go for free, he's been rubbish lately? Maybe that's because he isn't enjoying his football? I just looked up his scoring stats over the last two years and it reads as 38 goals in 59 games, that's not bad at all really.

I'd rather see someone else of course, but I can't see Arsene splashing the cash!