A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 15 2009, 07:22 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

goldbug wrote: View Post
they almost included a TOS-ified Miranda in the Ultimate Computer but decided not to due to script lines in the episode referring to "starships"
Damn.
Old December 15 2009, 09:05 PM   #32
TeutonicNights
Commander

It's a good reason to use only connies though.

The writers probably had a fleet of Starfleet's best in mind, like the E was.
Just like the destruction of the Yamato on TNG or the Odyssey on DS9 wouldn't have had as much shock factor if it had been some random Excelsiors. Did they comment on which ship was supposed to be the Miranda?

I'm pretty sure a Miranda have looked gorgeous though
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 01:03 AM   #33
buckeyenation
Lieutenant Commander

i think a fine job was done one the remastering, and have very few complaints, although the bonus material on the dvds could have been better
buckeyenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 09:40 AM   #34
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

ST-One wrote: View Post
Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

That's hardly true; there's certainly no evidence that Trek fans are smarter or more discerning than people who don't like it.
No, not anymore.

No, no they really won't.
Simply because the VFX-shots in Star Trek ('09 film) don't drop in picture-quality like they did in Star Trek (TOS).
Also because it will have been long forgotten by the general public.
You chose the right username
I hate to break it to ya, but by frequently engaging in these sorts of discussions, guess what?

YOU'RE ONE OF US!! YOU'RE A NERD!! JUST LIKE THE REST OF US GEEKS!! DEAL WITH IT!!
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 03:20 PM   #35
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

buckeyenation wrote: View Post
i think a fine job was done one the remastering, and have very few complaints, although the bonus material on the dvds could have been better

I have to agree with you on that point. I expected a lot more bonus material.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 03:35 PM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

And anyone who just can't get into or watch classic Trek because of it's "Cheesy" effects is too superficial to understand what Star Trek is all about in the first place.
That's hardly true; there's certainly no evidence that Trek fans are smarter or more discerning than people who don't like it.
No, not anymore.
Simply because the VFX-shots in Star Trek ('09 film) don't drop in picture-quality like they did in Star Trek (TOS).
Your bitterness is so tasty!
Old December 16 2009, 04:34 PM   #37
Myko
Commander

I don't mind the remastered effects, but I don't think they're great either. Instead of mediocre effects from the '60s (compared with high-budged productions like 2001 etc.) we get mediocre effects from the '00s.

As a historical document of what the production staff of the original show actually created they are worthless of course, which is probably the biggest reason I will watch the original effects. *shrug*
Old December 16 2009, 05:03 PM   #38
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

No, not anymore.

You chose the right username
I take it you think the new film is going to create "a whole new generation of fans?" I think not. Star Trek 4 was a bigger blockbuster than the Abrams movie, and most people only have vague recollections of it. "Isn't that the one about the whales?" I liked the movie, but it's not really going to rejuvenate the franchise in the way people think it is. The general public still calls it "Star Trak," and to them it's just another action/fantasy movie like anything else out there. In order to build a strong following, Star Trek will need a new series, something to keep people interested week after week. A movie every couple of years doesn't create fans. It's a momentary diversion before they move on to something else.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 05:04 PM   #39
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

notte_silente wrote: View Post
And anyone who just can't get into or watch classic Trek because of it's "Cheesy" effects is too superficial to understand what Star Trek is all about in the first place.
No, not anymore.
Your bitterness is so tasty!
Thank you!
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 07:30 PM   #40
JoeD80
Captain

The general public still calls it "Star Trak,"
I have not met anyone recently that doesn't know that it's "Star Trek."
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 07:54 PM   #41
Voyagerian
Commander

I have been around long enough to have over the years, as has been shown on local tv stations here and there, TOS as originally aired, and it's been beloved to me as any TOS fan. But I have zero problem with the 'upgrade' or whatever you care to call it. Let's face it, no fx were as gopd then as what can be done today. Do we as said need to go back and redo all those classic films?No. Need we have done so to TOS to make it more palatable-certainly not to us 'old-timers'!LOL.But c'mon...as best as it could have been done then-it had its flaws, so, tweaking kills nothing, and,to me, they look great, and don't clash or contradict anything. And the added scenes/ships are further enjoyment. You needn't to have been born twenty years ago to like this alteration, far as I am concerned. I would think that Gene would have loved to have had this level of technical sophistication when his team was churning out his series....
Old December 16 2009, 08:31 PM   #42
Chrisisall
Commodore

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
Well, I enjoy the Remastered series a lot. Sure, I still get a kick out of the original episodes, but that doesn't mean I don't have a good time with the new stuff.
Yeah, the remastered FX are mostly cool. Doomsday Machine, for example, is in a whole new ballpark now, thanks not so much to great new FX, but for LACK of crappy, distracting OLD ones!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 08:36 PM   #43
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

seigezunt wrote: View Post
at some point, the new effects will become dated as well.
Which is what makes all this revising of old movies so ridiculous. We really think we've reached the point now where cgi is so realistic that you can't tell it apart from something filmed in live action. That's it, we've reached the pinnacle of what we can do, it can get no better. I think that's how George Lucas feels. To hear him talk, Jar Jar Binks looked like a living, breathing creature that was filmed alongside the cast. And that "Han Shoots first" scene was just terrible. It looks like an effect from "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show." But George Lucas thinks it really looked like Harrison Ford moved his head to the side to dodge that blaster bolt.
I've got news for him. CGI is still in its infancy. 30 years from now, people will look back on the movies of today and laugh. You'll probably be able to scan your image and insert yourself as a character in movies and games.
Which is why I maintain that it's pointless to go back and "perfect" old movies, because you just can't do it. Something more realistic is always around the corner. Remember all the hoopla over the T-1000 in T2? That's positively amateurish compared even to the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park a couple years later. But it works, and it pushes the story forward, which is what effects are for. People have gotten to where the movies are all about FX now. They don't want intriguing plots, they want to be dazzled by cg eye candy. Let movies and shows remain a product of the times they were created in, damn it!
That said, some of those in-space shots of the Enterprise were a little dodgy, and I don't mind the cleanup. But I can do without the rehauls such as the suspended bridge in Amok Time.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2009, 12:17 AM   #44
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

^ The advantage of that rock bridge shot was the ability to include the city of Shi-Kahr in the distance (one more poke in the eye of the "TAS isn't canon" crowd).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2009, 01:46 AM   #45
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
^ The advantage of that rock bridge shot was the ability to include the city of Shi-Kahr in the distance (one more poke in the eye of the "TAS isn't canon" crowd).
oh, hadn't noticed. Will have to take another look now that I have the 47".
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote