RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 417
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 14 2009, 05:30 PM   #106
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TOS-R seasons 1-3 Blu-ray Japanese version

Starfleet wrote: View Post
Would the Japan sets have an English audio option?
Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)

will definately be able to import Japanese Blu-Ray Anime/Movie titles without any hassle.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005
BluRay Region Coding Announced - Japan & US Same Region Code

I checked the Japanese Paramount sites & used Google Translate:
Original (English) / Dolby Digital 2.0ch Monaural (mono original)
Japanese: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitle: Japanese / English / Japanese [Blu-ray]
Star Trek:The Original Series Remastered Season 1
http://dvd.paramount.jp/search/detail.php?id=5934
It does not say if it is 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio or 16:9

Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered Season 2
http://dvd.paramount.jp/search/detail.php?id=6313
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 10:59 PM   #107
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Starfleet wrote: View Post
Looks about the same as my DVDs... What did the original one look like? Did it only look poor because the disc was faulty?
Yeah, the first one looked much worse, and it was because of a faulty set of discs. This image is better, but you can still tell the source material is poor.

Tomalak wrote: View Post
No, that's just what it looks like due to the poor source material.
Yep.

J.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 07:36 PM   #108
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

After reading this thread a bit I've become even more aware of the problems with these DVDs.

For example, the luma levels vary. Encounter at Farpoint is pretty good, with black usually being black. But I was watching Unification last night and black was consistently grey.

And there are really some very poorly transferred effects shots with what looks like black combing that's built into the frames and bounces around. DS9 and Voyager don't have this issue.

I've also noticed that some of the effects shots seem to be a strange/screwed up combination of telecined 24fps material and 30fps interlaced video.

Last edited by swaaye; December 15 2009 at 07:48 PM.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 07:46 PM   #109
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

swaaye wrote: View Post

For example, the luma levels vary. Encounter at Farpoint is pretty good, with black usually being black. But I was watching Unification last night and black was grey.
The blacks are all over the place, especially in the later seasons. The frequent cave scenes usually suffer, and the MPEG compression is noticeable at points too. I think DS9 thankfully tended to look better on DVD, as it was generally lit darker than TNG. I can't comment on the Voyager discs, but I imagine they look better than TNG too.

The DVDs generally look fine on CRT, but LCD displays are very unforgiving to any sort of VT-sourced programme.

And there are really some very poorly transferred effects shots with what looks like combining. Also some of the effects shots are telecined 24fps but others are 30fps interlaced video, and it seems that the two are interwoven or just messed up in some way!
Yes, that's part of the problem with the way it was edited rather than the DVD transfer. Another big advantage of a full remaster will be to iron out these dodgy VFX overlays. I think it could look amazing given enough time, money and expertise.
Old December 15 2009, 08:14 PM   #110
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TNG vs VOY transfer

Tomalak wrote: View Post
I can't comment on the Voyager discs, but I imagine they look better than TNG too.
The Borg Fan Collection has episodes from 3 series and is a good place to compare MPEG-2 encodes from the videotape masters.
TNG is soft and looks like old video while VOY which was mastered to D-2 videotape format looks the same as the day it was mastered thanks to digital video being...digital. There is minimal loss of quality on the MPEG-2 encoding itself from the master tape.
That said Bill Hunt the main reviewer over at The Digital Bits website felt that VOY season 1 picture quality was:
The video quality on this DVD set is generally very good, but not great. The episodes are presented in their original full frame aspect ratio, but they're somewhat soft looking and continue to have a digitally-processed look to them, which has more to do with the way they were post-produced than their preparation for DVD.
I can assure you when watching episodes from the Borg Fan Col. that there is a noticable difference between the two generations of series.
It's odd that when you watch an episode from TNG in 1993 to an episode of ENT in 2003 (Regeneration #049) which was mastered to HD and then downconverted to D2 standard-definition videotape how much the quality of post production of 35mm telecine to video tape, editing, & mastering had changed.

Since TNG seasons were put out on DVD in 2002 I don't think MPEG-2 encoders changed THAT much between 2002 and 2004 when VOY was encoded for DVD.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 08:20 PM   #111
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG vs VOY transfer

Yes, I assumed they'd moved over to digital video by then. Do you know when the transition was? The first couple of seasons of DS9 look much softer than the later ones, so I assume it was around the third season, concurrent with the start of Voyager.
Old December 18 2009, 07:12 PM   #112
Mott the barber
Commodore

The quality gets better after season 2. They use new lighting techniques, which is especially noticeable on the bridge.
Old December 19 2009, 05:40 AM   #113
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

An additional issue with TNG vs. MPEG2 is that seasons 1 and 2 frequently have a considerable amount of noise/grain. Heavy film grain and noise really eat up video bitrate and MPEG2 is anything but amazing in this case unless you give it a ton of bitrate to work with.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote