Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 14 2009, 03:27 PM   #31
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: War of the Supermen Just Announced!

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Superman in the public domain would be some scary, scary shit.
No, it really isn't.

So long as DC continues to exploit the Superman trademark, even after the early stories begin to fall out of copyright, they're effectively preventing anyone else from using Superman. There's little point in using Superman, if you can't market that it's Superman.

In any case, I expect there will be another attempt in the next year or two to extend copyright protections for another twenty-five years or more at the behest of Disney.
This is true.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 06:50 PM   #32
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

No, it really isn't.

So long as DC continues to exploit the Superman trademark, even after the early stories begin to fall out of copyright, they're effectively preventing anyone else from using Superman. There's little point in using Superman, if you can't market that it's Superman.

In any case, I expect there will be another attempt in the next year or two to extend copyright protections for another twenty-five years or more at the behest of Disney.
What does Disney have to do with it? Disney owns Marvel not DC lol

BUUUUUT actually if DC/Warner Brothers doesn't release a new Superman movie by 2011 they will owe damages to the Siegels and Schuster's. So... DC really needs to get on the stick and do something movie wise - and decent. I'm honestly of the mind that Superman should almost be a multi-universal hero LOL. I mean why not let Marvel use Superman too! That'd be a kick.
Old December 14 2009, 07:43 PM   #33
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Badarse St. Nick wrote: View Post
Disney will want another extension of the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, to keep the Mouse from falling into the public domain. Disney's goals of locking up Mickey Mouse forever will have the consequence of keeping other properties from ever becoming public domain.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 05:16 PM   #34
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

No, it really isn't.

BUUUUUT actually if DC/Warner Brothers doesn't release a new Superman movie by 2011 they will owe damages to the Siegels and Schuster's. So... DC really needs to get on the stick and do something movie wise - and decent. I'm honestly of the mind that Superman should almost be a multi-universal hero LOL. I mean why not let Marvel use Superman too! That'd be a kick.
I think some of the guys at Marvel could really do some solid, interesting work with Superman.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 05:42 PM   #35
ClayinCA
Commodore

BUUUUUT actually if DC/Warner Brothers doesn't release a new Superman movie by 2011 they will owe damages to the Siegels and Schuster's.
Not true. What will happen is that DC will lose certain movie rights to Superman, and would have to (presumably) pay a certain sum to the Siegel estate (not the Shusters - they are not involved in the Siegel/DC lawsuit) in order to make a Superman movie.

I think some of the guys at Marvel could really do some solid, interesting work with Superman.
Well, technically, John Byrne, Roger Stern, Ron Frenz, Marv Wolfman, Louise Simonson, and many of the others who've worked on Superman post-1986 were former Marvel creators, and they did do some solid, interesting work with Superman...but I know what you mean.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 05:57 PM   #36
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

You mean like Superman giving up his marriage to Lois by making a deal with the devil so Pa Kent can live?

Next we'll have a story that has Lana Lang marrying Lex Luthor....oh wait...

Old December 15 2009, 08:00 PM   #37
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ We won't be having any Lana Lang stories pretty soon...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 09:41 PM   #38
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ We won't be having any Lana Lang stories pretty soon...
Yeah...until they bring her back in some convoluted way.

Remember that comic rule...