Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 13 2009, 10:15 PM   #91
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: The Return of Bruce Wayne in April!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
You can get them in the Death Of Superman Omnibus if you have seventy five bucks laying about...
Or buy each trade independently off Amazon Marketplace/Ebay for 5 bucks each.

Or just read them in the store...
Old December 13 2009, 10:17 PM   #92
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Torg wrote: View Post
Or just read them in the store...
That's what I do. At least I buy the Starbucks coffee, though.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 01:45 AM   #93
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I tried that once and one of the clerks came up to me and said: "You know this isn't a library."

I answered him with, "Yeah, if it was I'd have internet access too."
Old December 14 2009, 02:03 AM   #94
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I wonder who stayed dead longer, Batman or Superman...
Heh... the "Return of Superman" arc was published over about six months, but if you watch the timeline while reading it, it appears that less than two weeks pass between his funeral and his reappearance on the docks in Metropolis.
According to The Return of Superman, when they "find" Clark Kent in the rubble, it's been a month since the Superman/Doomsday battle, which I always thought was absurd. That much time for Superman's absence to be felt, Supergirl, Gangbuster, and Guardian to begin filling in, the new Superman to appear and become trusted, and for the final battle? Really?

Superman's funeral is on December 24th, 1992, while the issue of the Daily Planet about how Cyborg Superman saved President Clinton is dated to May 28th, 1993. That's a much more reasonable timeframe for the events, though you'd need a better excuse for Clark's disappearance.
Old December 14 2009, 02:25 AM   #95
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
According to The Return of Superman, when they "find" Clark Kent in the rubble, it's been a month since the Superman/Doomsday battle, which I always thought was absurd. That much time for Superman's absence to be felt, Supergirl, Gangbuster, and Guardian to begin filling in, the new Superman to appear and become trusted, and for the final battle? Really?
Reading it monthly, at the time, it definitely didn't feel like it was a month. Maybe more like four or five.

Superman's funeral is on December 24th, 1992, while the issue of the Daily Planet about how Cyborg Superman saved President Clinton is dated to May 28th, 1993.
If it weren't for the Metropolis Mailbag issue in Superman following the funeral in Man of Steel, I'd put the funeral after Clinton's inauguration in January 1993. While I thought it was cool at the time for Bill and Hillary Clinton to appear in the funeral issue in Man of Steel, realistically President Bush, not President-Elect Clinton, would have been the United States' official representative at Superman's funeral.

That's a much more reasonable timeframe for the events, though you'd need a better excuse for Clark's disappearance.
Yeah, that wasn't one of Clark's better excuses.

Deep undercover, on assignment? Still not that plausible, but damn sight better than being trapped under a building for a month or more, living off canned goods he found there. Supposedly.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 02:43 AM   #96
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ I tried that once and one of the clerks came up to me and said: "You know this isn't a library."

No one's ever said anything to me. Fortunately for me, Barnes & Noble and Borders have free Wi-Fi.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 05:38 AM   #97
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I usually just read them at Barnes in the coffee shop and heh... 9 times out of 10... leave a small stack of books when they close LOL I'm soooo bad.
Old December 14 2009, 07:07 AM   #98
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post

Oh, snap!

It depends on the bookstore. Places like Borders and Barnes & Noble are not going to care. Smaller stores that don't have a coffee shop attached to it probably will.
Old December 14 2009, 07:51 AM   #99
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That's a much more reasonable timeframe for the events, though you'd need a better excuse for Clark's disappearance.
Yeah, that wasn't one of Clark's better excuses.

Deep undercover, on assignment? Still not that plausible, but damn sight better than being trapped under a building for a month or more, living off canned goods he found there. Supposedly.
I liked how that was done in the Superman: Doomsday movie: Clark was on assignment to the Middle East at the time the Doomsday thing went down, so everyone assumed he'd been killed there.
Old December 14 2009, 08:45 AM   #100
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

They didn't assume that Clark was killed in Afghanistan but missing in action I believe is what Perry said to Lois.

The only time I've ever been bothered at a Chapters is this one time earlier this summer when this older clerk came up to me and said that soon all the graphic novels are going to be sealed up. Well it's been about seven months since he said that and while some are, really all the new shipments, the rest aren't and when has that ever stopped me in the past? LOL

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 06:23 PM   #101
ClayinCA
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I wonder if Kyle will be resurrected.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 08:32 PM   #102
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
They didn't assume that Clark was killed in Afghanistan but missing in action I believe is what Perry said to Lois.
That excuse is flimsy at best. Where did Perry get that assumption? If Clark never was there to begin with, who would report him missing? If no one did, and Perry is just assuming that is where Clark is, wouldn't he want to give a quick call to wherever Clark claimed he was going to be at (at which point, the place would say "Clark who?" or "He never arrived.")
Old December 14 2009, 11:58 PM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Oh I agree that it's flimsy...I'm sure that the Planet would have some kind of overseas branch office or a liason of somekind with the international jounalists that he would be able to check in with. I can't recall what was actually said, I'll have to rewatch it again. I assume that Clark was supposed to contact the Planet with periodic updates and since he hadn't for a period of time Perry must have realized something happened.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 12:15 AM   #104
23skidoo
Admiral

I wonder if that means the "World Against Superman" storyline will finally reach a close by the time Batman comes back. I don't mind the arc, but it seems to have dragged on forever and, of course, being a weekly thing if you miss a title you have to play catch up (as I'm doing with Blackest Night).

Actually when I first heard Batman was coming back, aside from the "of course he is" response (no one expected him to be gone forever) I thought maybe they were going to really shake things up and zombify him with a black ring. Now THAT would have given people something to think about!

I just hope when Batman is reestablished they don't end up punting Batwoman and the Question from Detective Comics. I kind of like the direction they're taking with that one (even if it sometimes reads like L Word with a cape). It's not everyone's cup of tea (including mine at times), but it has given the title a bit of added vitality that I wouldn't have expected in something that's now heading into its 73rd year!

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 01:03 PM   #105
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I wonder if that means the "World Against Superman" storyline will finally reach a close by the time Batman comes back. I don't mind the arc, but it seems to have dragged on forever and, of course, being a weekly thing if you miss a title you have to play catch up (as I'm doing with Blackest Night).
Not to be pedantic, but you mean "by the time Bruce Wayne comes back," not "by the time Batman comes back." Bruce Wayne is not synonymous with Batman any more, and Morrison has said that R.I.P. was the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman.

As for the timing of storylines, War of the Supermen begins with May's FCBD special, and if you assume a similar progression to Blackest Night, then we will probably see that storyline winding down at roughly the same time as The Return of Bruce Wayne concludes and then dovetails into Batman and Robin. Morrison's interview in USA Today indicates that Dick will be Batman for at least two years.

For myself, I hope that Dick is a permanent replacement for Bruce under the cape and cowl. DC has walked away from its modern age legacy characters in the past decade. Making Dick Batman, and making it permanent, can go a long way to reversing the trend of the recent past, where Hal Jordan, Oliver Queen, and Barry Allen can come back and replace their replacements.

Actually when I first heard Batman was coming back, aside from the "of course he is" response (no one expected him to be gone forever) I thought maybe they were going to really shake things up and zombify him with a black ring. Now THAT would have given people something to think about!
I'm sure Morrison has something mental up his sleeve.

I just hope when Batman is reestablished they don't end up punting Batwoman and the Question from Detective Comics. I kind of like the direction they're taking with that one (even if it sometimes reads like L Word with a cape). It's not everyone's cup of tea (including mine at times), but it has given the title a bit of added vitality that I wouldn't have expected in something that's now heading into its 73rd year!
'Tec has been fucking awesome.

I'm sorry that J.H. Williams is leaving the title after the next issue, because he's done absolutely superlative work. Each issue is a tour du force visually.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote