IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 13 2009, 05:32 PM   #196
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Polaris"

Yeah, we didn't actually leave the stage until close to 4:00 AM. The last part of the work was Maurice directing us all in second-unit stuff that covered Azra and used a lot of the crew in walk-ons. Everyone was both exhausted and pretty high.

Okay, maybe that last was fumes from the paint used to dirty down the set we built Saturday morning. And BTW, Gaitanis was remarkable...as were each and every one of you. I'll get some stills online as soon as I can.

The personal high point for me, really, Friday evening - and you know that was only because I finally touched Paul's ass.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 05:45 PM   #197
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Yeah you did seem to enjoy the ass touching a tad too much.

4.00 am though. That's dedication!
Old December 13 2009, 06:22 PM   #198
lennier1
Commodore

Looking forward to the finished version (hopefully as paid version since there aren't the usual fanfilm strings attached).

Although that bridge will always remind me of a Trek Tardis.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 09:03 PM   #199
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Yeah you did seem to enjoy the ass touching a tad too much.
Is that even possible?

4.00 am though. That's dedication!
Well, we wrapped around two, but we cleaned up while A-Team finished the ingest and back-ups. I have a little part of all of you forever now, on two disk drives. Oh, and someone had to videotape my rant against Gil Gerard.

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Although that bridge will always remind me of a Trek Tardis.
That works.
Old December 13 2009, 09:22 PM   #200
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
Oh, and someone had to videotape my rant against Gil Gerard.
I'm betting on Maurice. I look forward to watching it on the extras.
Old December 14 2009, 05:50 AM   #201
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
And I'm estatic that Nick is willing to go to the lengths he has to in order to work with us.
You say that now.
And I say it again.

Some of the crew folks headed out to the stage to break down and get lighting equipment ready for return this afternoon. Alex, our Director of Photography, showed up with a text message from DS9Sega asking that we get an insert shot of a really cool prop piece that he was concerned that we missed during production. I got excited about lighting up even a tiny bit of the set and shooting it for a minute - just me plugging and unplugging this little panel on the wall, establishing it in its active and unpowered states while Alex shot footage of it. For one more minute, the ship lived.

And then it was over. I find myself crying suddenly when I try to tell friends what I witnessed this week - a bunch of folks eager to create some really beautiful stuff. I was a bystander a lot of the time, but I was there.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; December 14 2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old December 14 2009, 03:58 PM   #202
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
And then it was over. I find myself crying suddenly when I try to tell friends what I witnessed this week - a bunch of folks eager to create some really beautiful stuff.
I don't think you're alone there.
Old December 14 2009, 08:06 PM   #203
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Dennis, at the risk of being overblwon I have to say I think you are on the verge of crossing into a new frontier: web-based productions that make money! Hopefully, anyway. Seriously, I remember when Hollywood was wringing it's collective hands over how VCR's (then DVD's) were going to be their ruination. It turns out recorded media are a multi billion dollar part of the industry, with direct to video being a big part of that. Hopefully, there's some sort of movement within the inner circles of the tv/movie industries to tap into the potential of direct to web. It could be a great way for them to cash in on the "niche" markets that they've always said weren't lucrative enough to go after.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 10:48 PM   #204
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The studios don't get the web, and I will say selfishly right now that I hope they never figure it out.

I enjoy Starbucks, but if I were going to run a coffee shop I'd prefer that it were my own in my own little neighborhood of Silver Spring rather than one of theirs.
Old December 14 2009, 11:04 PM   #205
lennier1
Commodore

Depends on how you look at it.
Sanctuary started out as an independent online project as well and today it' s one of the few shows on SyFy that don't suck. But then again the show owes a lot to Amanda Tapping's popularity and her influence as one of the producers.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 02:11 AM   #206
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Well, Dennis IS famous, so maybe that will have the desired affect here.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 03:43 AM   #207
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I assume that's meant in jest.
Old December 15 2009, 05:39 AM   #208
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Famous is a relative term.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2009, 06:06 AM   #209
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Maybe, but there has to be a threshold.
Old December 15 2009, 06:32 AM   #210
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I served as the Assistant Director (not technically the 1st A.D. since we had no 2nd A.D.) on the Polaris principle photography last week, and I have to say it was a complete kick to do. It also kicked my ass!

In most any group of this kind you find the people that you can count on to get things done and those who will slack off. Fortunately, on this crew the balance was more in favor of the go-getters than the other.

As the A.D. my job was the run the set, which means to get the shooting schedule together and to make sure that everyone gets what they need, preferably before they ask for it. I think I was reasonably successful in this at least some of the time because in many instances when Dennis would say something like "John needs power for the sewing machine" I'd seen to it five minutes before.

Because I came into the project late, and the set wasn't done when we started, the first few days we tended to assemble the schedule on the day. When we fell way behind on our first two days I came up with a strategy to maximize coverage and knock out most of the closeups of the supporting cast in blocks, meaning there would be time to get the more complex master shots without having to spend a lot of time getting the closeups later. I am proudest of Wednesday, when we knocked out 11 pages of script, when our previous best had been about 5!

We still went over on several days when I'd hoped not to, but part of that was just the crew was smallish for this scale of production, and some members of the crew, whilst hard-working troopers, were new or newish to film production. At one point I had to chew everyone out because I couldn't get the set quiet. Grrrr! As I say, no one loves the A.D.!

The biggest problem I had were not having a dedicated script supervisor (Lucy Faria did the job when not on set, but she was often on camera), which meant my lunch and dinner breaks were often spent sitting on the set floor, spreading out the pages, and trying to figure out what we'd covered and what we'd missed.

The fun stuff was working with my boyfriend to detail and decorate the sets (we planted a nice Star Wars in-joke in the "brig" that I don't think they got in shot), talking some of the actors into doing funny bits during takes to break tension, and directing second unit type stuff, including security camera footage of a "redshirt" death, which looked fast, brutal and fantastic.

A lot of fun! But now, two days after we wrapped, I'm still exhausted and my feet hurt from being on them 12-14 hours a day for 8 days!

My heartfelt thanks to Dennis for giving me this opportunity to help make this happen.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote