Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2009, 03:47 PM   #76
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Return of Bruce Wayne in April!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ That reminds me, how the hell is the DC Universe going to recover from Blackest Night? I'm assuming here that it will not be possible for Black Lanterns to become normal, living beings again (Since they are, in the most literal sense of the word, dead).
Since Nekron has made it clear that he's been preventing permadeaths, I think it's likely that when Nekron is defeated death becomes permanent in the DC Universe.

As for how characters turned into Black Lanterns are going to be handled -- since BN #5 does some serious damage there -- I suspect that one character will gather one ring from each of the light Lantern Corps and wield them all, creating a white light that will counteract Nekron and reverse the damages he has wrought. Because it's a Green Lantern event, I think it will be Hal, though the theory that it could be Dove is also credible.

I wonder if Kyle will be resurrected.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2009, 05:11 PM   #77
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
As for how characters turned into Black Lanterns are going to be handled -- since BN #5 does some serious damage there -- I suspect that one character will gather one ring from each of the light Lantern Corps and wield them all, creating a white light that will counteract Nekron and reverse the damages he has wrought.
Doesn't the 'white light of creation' simply *destroy* a Black Lantern? Not bring it back to normal?

Edit: It does. I checked. Unless there's a deus ex machina yet to be invented, a Black Lantern can - at best - only be destroyed, not returned to its former living self. So it would appear to be a one-way trip, as it were.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 13 2009 at 05:29 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2009, 05:39 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Since Nekron has made it clear that he's been preventing permadeaths, I think it's likely that when Nekron is defeated death becomes permanent in the DC Universe.
LOL, Gibson will be here all weekend. Don't forget to tip your wait staff!!!
Death, permanent....only till the next retcon in 2015.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2009, 10:27 PM   #79
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The White Lantern theory has been a popular theory amongst fans since Blackest Night started...I think there's going to be some serious shaking up in the GL universe, Blackest Night has been their most dreaded prophecy, an event that the Guardians have been trying to prevent happen for centuries and now that it's finally happening I think there are going to be serious ramifications after this is all over and done with...exactly what those are? I haven't a clue. We do know from the Legion of Superheroes that there is only one Green Lantern left in the universe, perhaps this is the event that triggers that.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 01:31 AM   #80
Mr Light
Admiral

Aren't all the Guardians dead now? Didn't Scar kill them all and then get smoked herself?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 02:07 AM   #81
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

So Superman was in a coma? He's one heavy sleeper.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 02:59 AM   #82
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yes supposedly Clark was in a type of coma for several weeks after his fight with Doomsday and since he was buried his body was unable to soak up solar energy from the sun. I'm pretty sure though that this factor was retconned later in the Return of Superman arc and that Death of Superman intended Clark to be dead. The writers needed a way to bring Superman back after they killed him and this is what they decided to come up.

This was brought up in the audio commentary for Superman/Doomsday by Bruce Timm as he attempted to explain why the fight between Superman and Doomsday occured at night time in the film instead of in the day like in the comics, they were trying to find a way to touch on the solar energy thing.

Old December 13 2009, 05:20 AM   #83
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I could have sworn that they specifically said that Superman was dead. As in dead-dead. I remember a conversation between the Eradicator and the returned Supes (in Superman 82, I believe). The Eradicator said how he was able to come into being and Supes questioned if he really died, to which the Eradicator said "No, Ka-El. You were dead." I don't have the trade in front of me, so I cannot check. But I am pretty sure he was dead and the Eradicator jumpstarted him when he syphoned off Supes body.

If that has since been retconned, I cannot speak to that.
Old December 13 2009, 05:31 AM   #84
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I think I remember that too, Torg.

And even after Blackest Night is over, I hope they keep all the different colored Corps. At least the good ones (Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 08:48 AM   #85
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I had to dig it up from my collection, but Clark's resurrection is explained by Dr. Occult in Action Comics 692.

p19. Dr. Occult: Make no mistake, his spirit had fled his body. The energies stored within the body preserved it temporarily--
--Still, sealed off in that tomb, it would eventually have perished. And then, there could have been no return.
He needed the light of the sun, not the dark of the grave.
With his body in that null state, his spirit was trapped between the living and the dead... and became prey for all manner of demons.
And so I don't reprint the text of the entire book here, Occult goes on to explain how Jonathon Kent convinces his son to fight his way back to the land of the living, and how the Eradicator places Clark's body in the "Kryptonian Regeneration Matrix" and eventually sacrificed his life to save Clark from the blast of the deadly Kryptonite X.

p20. Lois: Are you saying... if Superman is ever about to... to die again... all we have to do is make sure he gets plenty of sun--?

p21. Dr. Occult: No, it's not that simple. Superman was very lucky... this time.
Never forget, his spirit had left the body. A whole chain of events -- physical and metaphysical -- combined with things both of the Earth and of Krypton to restore him to life...
...And some of those elements no longer exist. Your will to live is strong Superman, but your resurrection is not a repeatable phenomenon. You are mortal, and someday you will die... as must we all.
So, biologically speaking, he was only mostly dead, but well on his way to being all dead. Spiritually, he was dead, dead, deadinsky, but not passed on to his final reward. And apparently, a lot of sun won't really help.

(I hope I haven't broken any rules by the amount of text I quoted. Not sure how that works exactly.)
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 03:57 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Okay, that's just a mess. It does sound like they were trying to have it both ways, which I guess is what you'd expect from a gimmicky storyline where they "kill" a character that everyone knows is going to come back before too long. Of course it's all a fakeout, he's not really going to be killed off, but they want to pretend the story actually means something rather than just being a gimmick, so they come up with a convoluted explanation for how he really died, honest and for true, even though in practical terms he kinda didn't, since, hey, he's still here!

Anyway, I never read the actual comics, just the novelization. The book probably streamlined things a great deal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 03:59 PM   #87
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
On Bruce returning, I just hope it doesn't mean they're already kicking Dick to the curb. Bruce can come back in a different role than Batman, though; we'll just have to wait and see.
My theory, which I expound upon here, is that Dick will remain Batman, but Bruce will become Robin. It's a logical outgrowth of the events of The Resurrection of Ra's al-Ghul; we know that Damian's body can host the spirit of one of his ancestors. Ra's tried to take Damian's body, but what if Damian willingly gave up his body to "host" the father he idolizes? Morrison said that when his story was all said and done, Bruce Wayne would never be Batman again. If Bruce becomes Damian, then that's absolutely true.
That's a very, very interesting theory.

I doubt it'll come out like that, but I would love to see it be so.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 07:49 PM   #88
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I vaguely recall that issue now...and as I explained above DC wanted the initial impact of Superman's Death to feel real, and believe me I thought it was real, being a naive 13 year old, my mom who doesn't read comics assured me that wait a few months and Superman would be back! My mom also said this about Bruce Wayne after Bane broke his back and the wise woman was correct on each account.

Old December 13 2009, 07:50 PM   #89
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Okay, that's just a mess. It does sound like they were trying to have it both ways, which I guess is what you'd expect from a gimmicky storyline where they "kill" a character that everyone knows is going to come back before too long. Of course it's all a fakeout, he's not really going to be killed off, but they want to pretend the story actually means something rather than just being a gimmick, so they come up with a convoluted explanation for how he really died, honest and for true, even though in practical terms he kinda didn't, since, hey, he's still here!

Anyway, I never read the actual comics, just the novelization. The book probably streamlined things a great deal.
I wouldn't call it "a mess". It seems pretty straight forward to me. Basically, his spirit was caught between worlds, until his father, in Adventures... #500, brought him back. Then the regeneration chamber did the rest.

It seems to be one of the more interesting sci-fi resurrections I've seen. I'd wager it is better than Spock's, Trip's, and Carson Beckett's (although, that last one was clever on the part of the writers to use the show's established storyline to pull a fast one).

Christopher, do yourself a favor and check out the trades covering the Death/Funeral/Return. They are great, epic reads.
Old December 13 2009, 09:40 PM   #90
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

You can get them in the Death Of Superman Omnibus if you have seventy five bucks laying about...