Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How was the two parter Public Eye & The Left Hand
EXCELLENT 24 60.00%
ABOVE AVERAGE 14 35.00%
AVERAGE 0 0%
BELOW AVERAGE 1 2.50%
POOR 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7 2009, 06:47 PM   #31
Michael Chris
Admiral

Re: DOLLHOUSE: ep2x5-Public Eye & ep2x6-The Left Hand Review-Grade-SPO

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Above Average for the two episode from me.

But man, what do people see in Summer Glau? Not acting ability, that's for sure...
She played a dysfunctional girl. She plays normal well too
Old December 7 2009, 09:49 PM   #32
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

You know, I was a little disappointed in Summer this time - and I LOVE Summer. She did an okay job with the role, but I thought I remembered Joss saying she was going to get to play NORMAL this time. It was just too close to being River a few years later - not exactly adjusted yet, but at least able to function and contribute. It was a little unbelievable that Topher was so into her right away. Even by his standards, she came across as having too many mental wires crossed for comfort.
Old December 7 2009, 11:18 PM   #33
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Sakrystmas Joy wrote: View Post
You know, I was a little disappointed in Summer this time - and I LOVE Summer. She did an okay job with the role, but I thought I remembered Joss saying she was going to get to play NORMAL this time. It was just too close to being River a few years later - not exactly adjusted yet, but at least able to function and contribute. It was a little unbelievable that Topher was so into her right away. Even by his standards, she came across as having too many mental wires crossed for comfort.
I think Topher was already into her, and the fact she was his age and cute to boot, sealed the deal. As for how she was, I think she was somewhat 'normal' but had severe issues relating to Caroline/Echo (and apparently for good reason) and my theory that she's not working for the Rossum Corporation/Dollhouse Voluntarily.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 06:53 AM   #34
Michael Chris
Admiral

Yeah, I was definitely disappointed that she wasn't playing a normal girl. As to Topher's reaction, I find it totally believable..
Old December 8 2009, 07:09 AM   #35
species5618
Commodore

Excellent for both episodes. The show has come a long way from the mediocrity of the first half of season one, when I was a hair away from giving up on it completely.

Great to see Alexis Denisof and Eliza Dushku share the screen once again, and others have mentioned, Enver Gjokaj was amazing as Topher--he is definitely someone to watch post-Dollhouse.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 02:28 PM   #36
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
As for how she was, I think she was somewhat 'normal' but had severe issues relating to Caroline/Echo (and apparently for good reason) and my theory that she's not working for the Rossum Corporation/Dollhouse Voluntarily.
My theory was, she did to herself the same thing that was done to the Senator, she used her own tech to hype up her own brain. She was already a bit crazy though, and now she's a hyper intelligent crazy. I thought in her first scene that she was a doll of Adelle's personality, and I do think she's added something to herself.

The reason the device doesn't work on her is that she doesn't have the bio implant.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 05:10 PM   #37
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
Yeah, I was definitely disappointed that she wasn't playing a normal girl. As to Topher's reaction, I find it totally believable..
How many normal people would even be working at the Dollhouse in the end?

She seemed fairly normal until she saw Echo, but when she was with Topher she was just weird science girl. Which was probably Topher's dream date until she tried to kill Echo.
Old December 8 2009, 07:54 PM   #38
StarshipDefiant
Captain

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
As for how she was, I think she was somewhat 'normal' but had severe issues relating to Caroline/Echo (and apparently for good reason) and my theory that she's not working for the Rossum Corporation/Dollhouse Voluntarily.
My theory was, she did to herself the same thing that was done to the Senator, she used her own tech to hype up her own brain. She was already a bit crazy though, and now she's a hyper intelligent crazy. I thought in her first scene that she was a doll of Adelle's personality, and I do think she's added something to herself.

The reason the device doesn't work on her is that she doesn't have the bio implant.
Interesting thought, I honestly hope they do not do that though, becuase they've already revealed several "OMG, they're actually an active/sleeper/member of a Dollhouse!" Though, that would make some things combine and make sense.

Christmas Jewel wrote: View Post

She seemed fairly normal until she saw Echo, but when she was with Topher she was just weird science girl. Which was probably Topher's dream date until she tried to kill Echo.
Probably not very many, indeed, evidence suggests that people working within the Dollhouse, whether they are an active or not, ethier have little choice (on the run from the law or something), or are so amoral, they honestly don't care. I would agree that she seemed fairly normal (albiet somewhat paranoid) until she saw it was Echo/Caroline of all people that she would be working on. That and life's events (such as Caroline's apparent betrayal) probably made her somewhat weird,
Old December 8 2009, 08:29 PM   #39
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Interesting thought, I honestly hope they do not do that though, becuase they've already revealed several "OMG, they're actually an active/sleeper/member of a Dollhouse!" Though, that would make some things combine and make sense.

Probably not very many, indeed, evidence suggests that people working within the Dollhouse, whether they are an active or not, ethier have little choice (on the run from the law or something), or are so amoral, they honestly don't care. I would agree that she seemed fairly normal (albiet somewhat paranoid) until she saw it was Echo/Caroline of all people that she would be working on. That and life's events (such as Caroline's apparent betrayal) probably made her somewhat weird,
If my best friend betrayed me like and left me with a dead arm, I'd probably be a little odd as well. Although Caroline could be the reason she is at the Dollhouse as well. She was left in some lab, possibly one owned by Rossum. I believe that Caroline was on the run from Rossum for a few years after she originally broke in and her boyfriend was killed. Maybe this happened in between then and when they caught her.
Old December 8 2009, 08:39 PM   #40
StarshipDefiant
Captain

If my best friend betrayed me like and left me with a dead arm, I'd probably be a little odd as well. Although Caroline could be the reason she is at the Dollhouse as well. She was left in some lab, possibly one owned by Rossum. I believe that Caroline was on the run from Rossum for a few years after she originally broke in and her boyfriend was killed. Maybe this happened in between then and when they caught her.
I have no doubt that was the intentional setting, Carolines line of "If I say, then we both get nabbed" or something along those lines, but the context suggested she was talking about Rossum, not the law.
Old December 9 2009, 05:33 AM   #41
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I thought in her first scene that she was a doll of Adelle's personality, and I do think she's added something to herself.
Yeah. That almost kinda confused me. In her first scene, I wondered if perhaps she was some sort of deliberate copy of Adelle. Then, for the rest of the episode, she was more like Topher. Perhaps she has added something to herself and it gives her the ability to read people very quickly and adopt the proper attitude. Perhaps she's not really very nerdy at all but simply did that to try to distract Topher. She was certainly a convincing performer when she faked Echo & Perrin's escape.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Well, we might see more range if she'd stop being cast as crazy people and robots.
It's very forward thinking of her. You see, due to chemicals that are being put in the water, in 5 years, all the normal people will be gone and all that will be left are crazy people & robots. Mark my words, when that happens, Summer Glau will look like friggin' Jimmy Stewart!

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Has Summer Glau ever portrayed a character who wasn't weird in the head? (The Cameronator is weird in the head by human standards.)
Actually, I thought she was pretty normal on Angel. In "Waiting in the Wings," she played a Russian ballerina cursed to perform the same ballet every night for eternity. Although the character's circumstances were distinctly abnormal, the character seemed pretty normal, all things considered. Certainly she was far less quirky than River, Cameron, or Bennett.

It made sense that each house would use a different system to avoid confusion.
Yeah, I was trying to figure out a fic at one point and debated on trying to find a different naming system. Now, I know I'd have to, but the question is, what I'd use (and what could have the same meaning).
Maybe one house names them all after characters from Joss Whedon shows.
Old December 9 2009, 03:12 PM   #42
Jimmy Bob
Commander

Okay here are my random impressions, all very randomy. Enver Gjokaj is my new God! Seriously awesome. He's like the new Nathan Fillion, only he's Enver. There's just no way to describe it.

This episode reminded me of a Buffy quote "It's about power." I loved it how they are all working together... somewhat – Echo, Ballard, Boyd, Adelle and Topher. There was this sort of team vibe in these episodes.

Gotta love how Adelle had that guy by the balls.

I loved how misleading the episode 5 was. I was really thinking that Perrin's wife was a doll.... but, awesome.

And Topher's and Bennett's awkward attraction for each other... golden. Speaking of Bennett, perfection from the first moment. I guess there's more to Caroline than we've seen. I guess that must have happened between the time Caroline escaped from the hospital (Echoes flashback) and before she became a Doll.

This two-parter was just so rich in story and characters. Balancing brilliantly between regular and guest characters – Perrin and his discovery, his wife the handler, Bennett, Topher, Echo, Ballard and November. Dollhouse is blowing it's wad and I love it.

I just hope they manage to put a bit of Boyd's background somewhere there too in these last 6 episodes. And hot sex between Ballard and Adelle. I'm a Badelle, or should it be Paudelle? Since, you know. Speaking of Ballard, can't wait to see what he is going to do.

Echo's Journey: Echo has really changed. I love how Echo has produced a really deep philosophical thinking to the catchphrases of Dollhouse. As in, she's thinking in those words, because that's the vocabulary she possesses, but she really has made the meaning of those words her own. "You try to be you're best." - with a really understanding look. "I understand. I don't want to fall asleep. Not even for a little while." - with a look like she really means it.

"She's broken. Let's go." Okay the last one wasn't very philosophical, but "brokeness" is a big part of Echo's philosophical system. Okay, I just resisted posting a 70-page essay on "Echo's philosophical awakening from mental slavery and class warfare in Dollhouse", but basically in Gray Hour, Echo makes her first important choice by choosing not to be broken. And from that moment ever since, broken vs not broken is big part of her philosophical system. Echo is a warrior-philosopher. Or hero of the working class. Or just crazy. Depends on your take on the show.

Gotta love Echo-speak. "You just awoke a lot of people and they all think that you're a bitch!" We can see how guarding Echo is of her friends. November is sad. Echo sees that.

And it's funny that by now the whole Dollhouse crew is like discussing these things with her. Their body language... and Topher's "Echo's a friend" to Bennett. Makes you think about Bennett's words that Caroline has hold over people. Kinda seems true, doesn't it. Because Adelle would have had a reason to Attic Echo a long time go, but in the first episodes it is sort of hinted that Adelle admires Echo (or Caroline in her). It's quite interesting. You can even see a rather meaningful thoughtful glance from Topher when Adelle is speaking about using every resource to find poor defenseless Echo.

Oh and "They're in your head but you don't have to listen, you don't have to be what they tell you to be, you can belong to you!" - best definition of individualist anarchism ever.
Jimmy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 02:20 AM   #43
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Excellent.

The first half of Public Eye was a little incoherent but once it was revealed that Perrin was a doll, things picked up in a big way. Tremendous and engaging developments in the story. It makes me really sad this show is going to come to an end.

Summer Glau was terrific and her character had good chemistry with Topher. Viktor as Topher was hands down the highlight of the night and the actor who plays Viktor (can't remember his name) was so spot on it was creepy.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 05:33 AM   #44
StarshipDefiant
Captain

The actor that plays Victor, is named Enver Gjokaj (Don't feel bad, I had to look it up on the wiki to spell it right), and absolutely did a wonderful job as Topher. I don't mean in just the speech and mannerisms, but in body language and facial expressions. I completely believed that this was a different man, physically, but mentally was a copy of Topher, definitely a good job on his part. Much similar to "Belle Chose" when he (Victor) thought that he was Kiki and was dancing in the club and trying to seduce the onlookers (at least to get them to buy 'her' a drink). This actor, in my opinion definitely has a future in acting ahead of him, and I only wish we had seen more scenes with Victor and his engagements/imprints.

Summer Glau, IMO, was fantastic and that's not out of bias that I like her (or maybe it is...) to begin with, but the slips between personalities to me (from business/professional class like, to paranoid, to geeky) was similar to how Enver Gjokaj is on his different personalities. There's obviously a few different theories going around about her character due to how she acted (and that Joss Whedon was adamant she not be an active), I have a few myself, some can mesh together some cannot, but that's how it is, I guess. I'm certainly looking forward to her third appearance this season (there is at least one more), and wonder how it will be, and am sadden this show will not be getting a third season.