RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 440
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2009, 04:07 PM   #31
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I didn't read but just the first half dozen issues or so. The parts I read were focused on inserting Norse mythology into the "real world" at the cost of Thor's grand Marvel mythology.
I don't see how he diminished the grand nature of it at all; everything about his depictions of the gods was big on grandeur (apart from Volstagg, but he's always comic relief). He did some stuff about their interaction with the regular world, but that's hardly diminishing.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 04:50 PM   #32
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I just finish reading the trade of volume one of JMS's Thor's run and I was highly entertained by it...but I do see Temporal Flux's problems with it.

JMS's Superman seems a bit like Smallville...we'll see. As I've stated I'll be buying both books, if they're released separately and not on the same day I'll buy Batman Earth One first.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 05:20 PM   #33
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
The article at Newsarama said that these would be more "accessible" versions of Batman and Superman. But DC's choice of the pricey graphic novel format might make them less accessible (in another way).
Graphic novel collections are one of the fastest growing segments of the publishing industry. Expensive is a bit relative, a lot of people would rather buy a couple of thick, $30 graphic novels than 6-12 issues of a comic at $3-5 a piece spread out over a year, and I think that's what makes them more accessible to a lot of people. Also, graphic novels feel more like you're purchasing something to keep instead of just read and throw away like toilet paper.
Old December 8 2009, 10:21 PM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Not too keen on the new costume for Batman. People complain that the shorts look like underwear, so they give him a suit that looks like longjohns (complete with flap!!!!) hahahahahahahaha

Anyone else see Christian Bale in Frank's Bruce Wayne?

Badass Alfred (with a tat and ripped arms) leaves me cold.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 12:12 AM   #35
The Super Brando
Lieutenant Commander

I'm excited. Hopefully they'll do some reimagining that's cool and new, and not just make things only slightly different.

Though I'm really disappointed that they didn't use this opportunity to put him in a new updated suit. The underwear just needs to go.
Old December 9 2009, 12:25 AM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If it was underwear, why would they be on the outside and have belt loops?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 12:30 AM   #37
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Color me unimpressed on the Alfred as a muscled ex-military.

The ex-military part is more or less canon - he's supposed to have had some paramedic training during "the" war. (Which War? WWII or WWI or some other? ). It's the making him muscular and changing him to look like a Nick Fury wannabe that makes me go ugh!!

When you see current Alfred take care of business, you go "Yeah! Alfred is the man". But if this guy did it - what's the big deal? He already looks like Sgt. Rock!

And what's with the underoo-hate? It's tradition I tell you!
Old December 9 2009, 12:41 AM   #38
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan any sort of Alfred backstory: Alfred works best when he's just a Damn Good Butler.
Old December 9 2009, 02:26 AM   #39
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

And when we join our story, the Daily Planet is on the downward slide...it's where new reporters come to learn and old reporters come to die. It's what begins to happen in the aftermath of Superman's appearance that starts to reverse their fortunes.
This actually sounds like Geoff Johns is doing with his Superman Origin story, so I wonder how closely linked these two will be.
Old December 9 2009, 04:56 AM   #40
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Not too keen on the new costume for Batman. People complain that the shorts look like underwear, so they give him a suit that looks like longjohns (complete with flap!!!!) hahahahahahahaha
Batman's costume reminds me of Kick-Ass's.
Old December 9 2009, 05:04 AM   #41
Galactus
Rear Admiral

The Super Brando wrote: View Post
Though I'm really disappointed that they didn't use this opportunity to put him in a new updated suit. The underwear just needs to go.
Yeah this would have been the perfect chance to put him in a black movie-ish Bat-Suit, which would have made me interested. Even a Batman Beyond type would have been cool. As it is not neither he nor Superman look that different.
Old December 9 2009, 05:39 AM   #42
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

As I said in an earlier post the suit reminds me remarkably of the suit that was drawn for the Ultimate Batman article. Wouldn't be surprised if Frank used it as a reference.

Old December 9 2009, 06:02 AM   #43
CaptainCanada
Admiral

coolghoul wrote: View Post
The ex-military part is more or less canon - he's supposed to have had some paramedic training during "the" war. (Which War? WWII or WWI or some other? ). It's the making him muscular and changing him to look like a Nick Fury wannabe that makes me go ugh!!
Not paramedic; pre-Crisis Alfred was an SOE operative during World War II, who operated behind enemy lines in France (he even had a daughter by a female member of the Maquis). They used something similar to that in BTAS, where he used to work for MI6.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 06:05 AM   #44
Galactus
Rear Admiral

I don't think they really look anything alike. The feel is totally different. The Ultimate one is trying to be new but use the traditional colors, the Earth One is trying to be familiar and updated. More of a retelling feeling. Both are bad and I want a black Bat-suit.

Ultimate Superman costume would have been better too.
Old December 9 2009, 06:07 AM   #45
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Since the stories are supposed to be of Bruce's earliest days perhaps you'll get your wish down the road and he'll update his suit. Batman is always prepared after all.