Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 8 2009, 01:00 AM   #451
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

MvRojo wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post
I'd hope those people would be able to get over it, especially if they're released like the TOS Remastered was release (two versions with old and new effects).
It's quite as straightforward though, unless they just upres the current effects. The TOS ones were at least on film and just needed to be bunged onto the blu-ray.
Yeah, they should just upconvert the original effects, and then do new effects. This actually makes some sense since for those who don't want the new effects, they can either not buy them (and keep the old DVDs), or they can buy them and deal with an upconvert.
A lot of the old effects (pre-season 3) look really bad now. Just imagine what they would look like on Blu-Ray. It would be terrible.

One thing I hope a TNG remaster would be able to do is fix that horrible full scale mock up of the Type 7 shuttle that looked nothing like the miniature.
Old December 8 2009, 02:09 AM   #452
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

JJohnson wrote: View Post
if TNG were filmed on 35 mm, does that mean there's more visual information out to the sides which would enable the crew to re-crop it to 1.78:1 or some other widescreen, without cropping the top/bottom?
Yes, but the directors would have been framing their shots for a 4:3 ratio, which means that if you took the actual widescreen shot, and not one made by cropping the top and bottom of the 4:3 image, you might get things into the picture that shouldn't be there. Like lights or a boom mic or members of the film crew, etc. Or it might just ruin the particular dramatic intent of the framing of the shot.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 02:32 AM   #453
Harvey
Admiral

It's possible that it was protected for 16:9, like Babylon 5 and Quantum Leap, but I haven't heard anything suggesting that, so it's probably wishful thinking on my part.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 03:01 AM   #454
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I find myself hoping that a TNG-R could actually change some of the uniforms.

I mean, seriously, wouldn't it be great if it could get rid of the skant? Or the ridiculous unis from the first two seasons (the ones without the collars)?
Old December 8 2009, 03:15 AM   #455
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's possible that it was protected for 16:9, like Babylon 5 and Quantum Leap, but I haven't heard anything suggesting that, so it's probably wishful thinking on my part.
Hmm. I suppose that's true. I was thinking the time frame of TNG -- 1987-1994 -- was before anyone started thinking about the possibility of 16:9 television presentations. But I guess if Quantum Leap did it, TNG might have as well.
Old December 8 2009, 03:42 AM   #456
StarshipDefiant
Captain

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
maybe they should test it out on a couple of standout eps before they decide to go ahead and remaster the whole lot.
Well unfortunately here are the numbers of TV shows sold on Blu-ray:
Studios and retailers note that consumers have been relatively slow to embrace the overall TV on Blu-ray genre. To date, the average TV title streeting in standard and high-def sells just 5% of its copies on Blu-ray, sources said. That compares with a 12% to 15% Blu-ray average for theatrical new releases and 25% to 30% for some high-profile films.

Several TV shows that had upgraded to Blu-ray Disc have shifted back to standard-definition DVD-only releases, indicating hurdles in the adoption of the category.
Video Business, 12/4/2009
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6709928.html

This would give at least a little more reason to not proceed with an entire season of TNG-R if only for the Blu-ray market and no intention of TNG syndication in HD in the long term.
I've always felt it would be better to do a test as some 1 Blu-ray disc with say 3 TNG episodes on it.

That's what you get when there's already several versions of said season set on DVD already, and the BluRays are still incredibly expensive, especially in the current economic climate. That said, there's several releases I am waiting to be able to afford BluRay before I purchase them else one might not need to bother, if they have it on DVD already (which was somewhat my point earlier). I think when the market lowers it's price and the technology is able to be more widespread (players, the discs themselves, certain types of TVs, etc...) there will probably be an increase in sales.

That said, I'm rather fond of the fact the BluRay cases, for the most part all seem to somewhat be a standardized size. I hate the massive box sets for seasons on DVD, especially those foldout ones. I thought releasing on slimcases was cool, then I find some stuff on newer...one disc case, but its a season set (does that make sense?). In anycase, as much as I'd like it, if TNG R (or any version) was relased on BluRay, I have no doubt it'd be a hundred dollars or more, to rich for my blood, which is again, why sales are probably not that great when you can now by a brand new, unused season for 60 or less (depending on the store). That's still a lot of money, but a hell of a lot better then 120 or more dollars they intially charged.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 04:17 AM   #457
JJohnson
Captain

If you're talking FX, I would hope the transporter would become more 3-dimensional. TOS-R missed a bit by not updating the transporter effect by making it look three-dimensional. Just one extra touch.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 04:55 AM   #458
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I think it'll happen for money reasons. They know a lot of Trek fans will buy it. Just comes down to when the technology to do the remastering becomes cheap enough for them to make their desired profit.
Old December 8 2009, 05:38 AM   #459
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: CG ENT-D model

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I think the windows are an example of where both physical miniatures and CGI models failed to sell the reality of the Enterprise-D. "Frosted white rectangles" don't look like windows to me.
Indeed - just as on the original TOS model of the Enterprise, they simply look like little featureless lights and not a thing like windows.

The windows on the JJPrise look like windows.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 05:40 AM   #460
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post

It's quite as straightforward though, unless they just upres the current effects. The TOS ones were at least on film and just needed to be bunged onto the blu-ray.
Yeah, they should just upconvert the original effects, and then do new effects. This actually makes some sense since for those who don't want the new effects, they can either not buy them (and keep the old DVDs), or they can buy them and deal with an upconvert.
A lot of the old effects (pre-season 3) look really bad now. Just imagine what they would look like on Blu-Ray. It would be terrible.

One thing I hope a TNG remaster would be able to do is fix that horrible full scale mock up of the Type 7 shuttle that looked nothing like the miniature.
Which is why I said just do a simple upconvert for the original effects, AND THEN do the new effects.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 08:32 AM   #461
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ Agreed. I'm a purist in the sense that I believe the original should remain available, regardless of the format. Therefore, if they are going to do a Blu-ray release of TNG, I believe they should include the originals, warts and all. However, I'm totally supportive of them doing a TNG-R that enhances them. I just want the originals to also be available.
Old December 8 2009, 05:44 PM   #462
Prologic9
Lieutenant Commander

Fortunately the originals are available, you can go out and get them right now as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't at all expect a bluray release to branch between the two the way TOS-R does. The situations are entirely different as TNG's VFX shots will always remain SD, and there's no way to change that.

This isn't just the model work, you're talking about any scene with the view screen, transporter shot, hand phaser shots, Holodecks, window shots, hundreds of shots they produced over the years. Trying to mix all that in with newly restored and edited scenes in HD is neither practical nor does it preserve the 'original' episodes, as the discrepancy between the material would be massive.
Prologic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 06:00 PM   #463
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
That said, I'm rather fond of the fact the BluRay cases, for the most part all seem to somewhat be a standardized size. I hate the massive box sets for seasons on DVD, especially those foldout ones. I thought releasing on slimcases was cool, then I find some stuff on newer...one disc case, but its a season set (does that make sense?).
This.

This.

THIS.

I fucking HATE the packaging for Trek DVDs (standard def). In fact I threw them all away - DS9, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise - and replaced them with those sleeve binder thingies you can get from places like Case Logic. Much easier to use. (The Blu-Ray packaging for TOS is good, at least it comes in a standard sized box that you don't have to unfold like a dozen times. )

I also hate it when other shows, like the various L&O ones, can't decide on a common format for all their packaging. They seem to go through about three or four different ones. It really looks bad on a shelf.
Old December 8 2009, 06:29 PM   #464
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I mean, seriously, wouldn't it be great if it could get rid of the skant?
I liked the skant, I wish they had used it after season 1.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 06:33 PM   #465
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I wonder if the guys who wore the male skirt also wore Cosmo Kramer and Frank Costanza's manzier?