Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 8 2009, 04:50 AM   #31
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: eBook Readers

^My eyes start to strain when reading on an LCD screen pretty quickly, even just reading around the board here can make my eyes hurt after a little while, so I think that eInk is wonderful technology that I am excited to use in the future when prices come down or I get some money.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 05:22 AM   #32
Brolan
Commodore

I have the second edition Kindle, and it is very easy on your eyes. The only problem is you need a light source when the light is dim.

Don't try to read books on a small device like an iTouch. It's a horrible experience.
Old December 8 2009, 05:56 AM   #33
Galactus
Rear Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
^My eyes start to strain when reading on an LCD screen pretty quickly, even just reading around the board here can make my eyes hurt after a little while, so I think that eInk is wonderful technology that I am excited to use in the future when prices come down or I get some money.
Really, I never have that problem and I use a computer all day everyday for years. I wonder how much of the population is the same way?
Old December 8 2009, 07:26 AM   #34
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Joy To The World wrote: View Post
Really, I never have that problem and I use a computer all day everyday for years. I wonder how much of the population is the same way?
I don't know, I would tend to think it has something to do with age but I'm only 23, I've been using computers all my life and use them everyday at work and school. But if I spend all day on it I tend to get headaches. We actually got an HD LCD tv a while ago and I ended up moving it out of the living room because watching it for too long gave me headaches.

I know some others around me don't like reading on LCD screens either, but I don't know if they necessarily get headaches.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 08:52 AM   #35
StolenThunder
Poster

Santa's Little Skutter wrote: View Post
StolenThunder wrote: View Post
Did you get one in the end Bob? If not, take a wee look in Borders. I saw they had some e-reader reductions amongst the melee that currently is their shop floor.
There's no Borders near by, closest one is in York I think.
Fair enough. To be honest, I'd probably be a little wary about ordering from a company in administration anyway. It might complicate support.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Joy To The World wrote: View Post
I don't know, I would tend to think it has something to do with age but I'm only 23, I've been using computers all my life and use them everyday at work and school. But if I spend all day on it I tend to get headaches. We actually got an HD LCD tv a while ago and I ended up moving it out of the living room because watching it for too long gave me headaches.

I know some others around me don't like reading on LCD screens either, but I don't know if they necessarily get headaches.
It's a common problem that backlit screens cause eye strain. People also read slower off them. I think studies suggest something like 20% slower.
Old December 8 2009, 09:05 AM   #37
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Santa's Little Skutter wrote: View Post
Did you get one in the end Bob? If not, take a wee look in Borders. I saw they had some e-reader reductions amongst the melee that currently is their shop floor.
There's no Borders near by, closest one is in York I think.
Fair enough. To be honest, I'd probably be a little wary about ordering from a company in administration anyway. It might complicate support.
If it meant getting one at bargain price I probably would. But I don't drive so getting to York to take a look would be a hassle. No doubt all the good bargains will be gone by the time I get a chance to go look.
Old December 17 2009, 02:23 PM   #38
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Just joined the "ebook world" as I received my Kindle in the mail last night. Haven't had a lot of time to fully acquaint myself with all it's features, but my initial impression of it is very favorable. Whether I'll read enough books to make it worthwhile or not is another story, but I sold off some stuff I wasn't using to pay for it, so it's kind of a case of "no harm, no foul" even if I don't use it.
Old December 17 2009, 02:26 PM   #39
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^I want to get one, but at the minute I'm wary from reading too many bad reviews I think.
Old December 17 2009, 03:19 PM   #40
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well I may very well end up regretting it, but so far I like it. Now I will say the book I bought wasn't "delivered in seconds", although it wasn't too bad.

The other thing is, I went to my local B&N and looked at the Nook and that thing is a mess right now. Maybe if they get the bugs worked out, it might be superior to the Kindle, I don't know. But for me, for now, the Kindle seems fine.