Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 6 2009, 07:44 PM   #16
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile
Re: eBook Readers

Apple are good What is the Iphone like anyway
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 07:46 PM   #17
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I've had a Kindle for a few months and absolutely love it. My wife is considering the Nook, so whenever the hell that becomes available we'll be able to compare.
Old December 6 2009, 11:23 PM   #18
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

i still use my old Pocket-PC (a viewsonic model), all i use it for these days is reading e-books, i throw it in my bag when i'm going to be sitting around waiting somewhere.
Old December 7 2009, 12:45 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Santa's Little Skutter wrote: View Post
I don't really care for Apple stuff, tends to be more expensive, and tied in to their own proprietary software.
Don't most existing e-book readers only support e-books from their own formats? Meaning, there's no super-reader that works with them all?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 12:50 AM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't really care for Apple stuff, tends to be more expensive, and tied in to their own proprietary software.
Don't most existing e-book readers only support e-books from their own formats? Meaning, there's no super-reader that works with them all?
Not really a lot support epub, txt, html, mobi and other formats. Kindle has its own format, and sony has its own format, but most of the ebook sellers sell in one of those widely used formats.
Old December 7 2009, 12:58 AM   #21
Galactus
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really after a backlit device they're not the best for reading books on and tend to cause eyestrain when reading for long periods, and I'm not too bothered about a music player. I have a pocket PC which I barely use, and an MP3 player that I never use either. I have a phone for surfing the web on the move.
Seems like you have too many devices. Need to consolidate.
Old December 7 2009, 01:08 AM   #22
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Joy To The World wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really after a backlit device they're not the best for reading books on and tend to cause eyestrain when reading for long periods, and I'm not too bothered about a music player. I have a pocket PC which I barely use, and an MP3 player that I never use either. I have a phone for surfing the web on the move.
Seems like you have too many devices. Need to consolidate.
Not really. I have them because I like gadgets, got them thinking they'd be useful, and to an extent they have been. Just as new things come along I get them and I no longer need the old ones.
Old December 7 2009, 04:40 PM   #23
Jimilu
Lieutenant Commander

An interesting review:
http://technologizer.com/2009/12/06/nook-review/
Jimilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 05:31 PM   #24
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

i personally don't feel e-ink technology is fluid enough yet. It's just so clunky to navigate, turn page, the page refresh is too slow as well. I did the eye test at the store... read to the end of the page, hit the button and move my eye up to the top again as if I turned the page. It was only halfway through the 'refresh' when my eyes reached the page starting point. Apple Tablet isn't a great solution because its still backlit LCD.

I wonder if there's some way to combine the screens... it's a backlit LCD until you hit a button and the backlight goes off and it becomes an eink screen.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 07:36 PM   #25
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

^ That's pretty much how I feel. I think e-readers are definitely a wonderful invention that I would love to get my hands on, but the technology is still too primitive. It's just too new. I'm waiting for the "format wars" to end and for one (or two) amazing e-readers to come out on top. I'm waiting for something like the Apple Tablet.

To put it in video game terms we're dealing with a whole bunch of crappy, overpriced systems that can only play Pong. I'm waiting for the NES.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 08:49 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Apple Tablet isn't a great solution because its still backlit LCD.
How do you know? They haven't even made one yet.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 08:53 PM   #27
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Apple Tablet isn't a great solution because its still backlit LCD.
How do you know? They haven't even made one yet.
Because it's supposed to be a tablet PC style device, or a scaled up iPhone/iPod touch type device, thus would be a backlight LCD/OLED device and not a eInk or ePaper style device.
Old December 7 2009, 11:26 PM   #28
StolenThunder
Poster

Did you get one in the end Bob? If not, take a wee look in Borders. I saw they had some e-reader reductions amongst the melee that currently is their shop floor.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 11:58 PM   #29
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
Did you get one in the end Bob? If not, take a wee look in Borders. I saw they had some e-reader reductions amongst the melee that currently is their shop floor.
There's no Borders near by, closest one is in York I think.

After looking around I figured a Kindle would be the easiest choice and ordered one yesterday, but after reading up on a lot of different readers I've cancelled it, decided to wait for either prices to come down or better devices to come out.
Old December 8 2009, 12:05 AM   #30
Galactus
Rear Admiral

I haven't tried it yet but, they say the Sony touchscreen eBook is more like page turning a page. I still don't get the big deal about the eInk and ePaper. I never have a problem reading from a computer screen.