Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 4 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
RookieBatman
Commodore

Read Any Good Comics Lately?

I've been away from the Star Trek fan community for a while, but I've still been keeping up with my exploration of Trek novels (and watching the DVD's repeatedly), but I reecently "resurfaced" and discovered that IDW has been quite busy with their Trek comics. That's very exciting to me, especially since there are a few TOS ones in there ("Mission's End" particularly interests me). So, I was just wondering which ones people liked and disliked, etc. (Have there been any threads about the comics lately?)
Old December 4 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
indianatrekker26
Captain

Re: Read Any Good Comics Lately?

Some of IDW's stronger stories have been Klingons: Blood Will Tell, Countdown, and Year Four:The Enterprise Experiment.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Pretty much any of the TOS ones I like. I was dissapointed in the artwork (not the stories) of several of the TNG ones.

My favorites are Klingons: Blood Will Tell and the Mirror Universe one with Pike (I'm not a big MU buff, but I like how Messina draws the Orion women. )
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 07:04 PM   #4
STR
Captain

I've read Countdown, and by God is it awful. I'm specifically referring to the plot (or the entire lack thereof) and the characters (Nero is still a stupid villain that makes only the faintest sense). I could describe to you the entire comic in 1 paragraph, and you wouldn't miss a thing. Most of that paragraph would be the action set-pieces that are "just there" without much reason for them having happened. The art doesn't redeem much either, they made the Enterprise-E look like something out of Dr. Seuss on most panels.

...but at least they un-killed Data.
Old December 4 2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
Some of IDW's stronger stories have been Klingons: Blood Will Tell, Countdown, and Year Four:The Enterprise Experiment.
Agreed, though I also like the Alien Spotlight runs.

I don't know what it is about TNG that brings out the worst in IDW. The only one I've liked is The Last Generation, which was pencilled by Gordon Purcell. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
indianatrekker26
Captain

Yeah, I haven't been blown away by their TNG stuff. I passed on the first issue of Ghosts. Their TOS stuff has been some of the best TOS comics I've seen, for example: Enterprise Experiment, Mission's End, Crew, and Klingons: Blood Will Tell, and Mirror Images have all ben outstanding
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Any of John Byrne's Star Trek comics are worth getting. Especially Crew, which was sensational.

I enjoyed Nero a great deal. Yeah, it's fanwank, but a good sort of fanwank.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Steve Roby
Commodore

Crew was pretty good, and a bit reminiscent of Marvel's late lamented Early Voyages comic, available in an excellent omnibus edition from IDW.

Countdown was the lamest load of fanwank I've read in ages. Haven't read any of Nero or Spock: Reflections yet.

Most of the other stuff is somewhere in the middle. I'm rarely blown away by anything IDW publishes, but they're usually not awful, either.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 03:32 AM   #9
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Any of John Byrne's Star Trek comics are worth getting. Especially Crew, which was sensational.
I'm actually quite amazed at how much Byrne has been able to do with the Romulans by way of Caligula. There's a trade of all that coming out soon, and I plan to enjoy it as much as I did the one-at-a-time issues.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 11:57 PM   #10
RookieBatman
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

I enjoyed Nero a great deal. Yeah, it's fanwank, but a good sort of fanwank.
Was Nero based on any deleted or cut (before filming) scenes from the movie? Because I saw that the plot was about Nero being captured by Klingons, and I seem to remember a news item and maybe even a spy photo from the set of Nero, captured by Klingons, which, of course, was not in the movie. Did I just dream this?
Old December 6 2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, the Nero comic is partly an adaptation of (and expansion on, I assume) the deleted scenes from the film in which Nero and the Narada crew are held captive in Rura Penthe.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Correct.

One nice touch is one of the guards at Rura Penthe is a very young W. Morgan Sheppard, who was the jailer in Star Trek VI.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

RookieBatman wrote: View Post
maybe even a spy photo from the set of Nero, captured by Klingons, which, of course, was not in the movie. Did I just dream this?
Nope, it was even a scene in the trailer!

Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 01:49 AM   #14
rahullak
Fleet Captain

There are deleted scenes of Nero & his crew and their escape from Rura Penthe on the DVD.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 10:38 PM   #15
lstyer
Lieutenant Commander

John Byrne's Star Trek: Crew and any of his Romulan stuff is great. Crew is already in trade paperback, and all the Romulan books will be collected along with a new adaptation of "Balance of Terror" from the Romulan perspective sometime soon. He really captures the look and feel of TOS. Byrne's Star Trek: Assignment: Earth didn't work quite as well for me as his other Trek books, but that's hardly an indictment -- it's still a really fun book, and one issue even acts as a sort of prequel to an issue of Crew.
lstyer is offline   Reply With Quote