Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 3 2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you watch the same stuff over and over?

My DVD habits come and go in waves. There may be a period of time where I'm feeling nostalgic about a specific series so I'll watch that. Then I might get in the random mood to watch something else. There may be a DVD that sits on my shelf for months before I pick it up again. Others perhaps get viewed more frequently, but I have a pretty large collection so there's plenty of variety.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Snaploud
Admiral

I have a tendency to get hooked on certain things (tv shows, books, etc.) and keep on with them until I wear them out.

This sometimes means watching DVDs of a tv show until I've watched them straight through (even if it's one I've watched several times before). [Ex. I re-watched all of my DS9 DVDs in the week or two right before beginning my undergraduate degree.]

This sometimes means reading through one book series until I've reached the end (such as catching up on old trek).

This sometimes means drinking only water or only powerade or only gatorade until I get sick of it.

That's probably why I never bothered to try alcohol or illegal drugs. I obviously have an addictive personality. Though, I do have a tendency to switch patterns eventually. It just takes a while, and it usually involves reaching a natural end-point (like the end of a show on DVD or the latest book in a series, etc.).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 02:47 AM   #18
I am not Spock
Commodore

I tend to rewatch my TV DVDs far more often than my movie ones. With a film, you only get two hours or so to tell a story. Good TV allows you years to work through an arc.

I watch Dr Who, Firefly, Red Dwarf, Buffy, Angel, and Star Trek DVDs often. I tend to watch the Whedon ones more often than the Treks (sacreligiously, on this site, maybe) because they seem to be more arc-based, with things you didn't notice the last time around.
Old December 4 2009, 02:49 AM   #19
Goji
Rear Admiral

Yeah. I only ever buy stuff on DVD that I expect to watch multiple times.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 05:31 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Yes.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 10:44 PM   #21
Strider
Fleet Captain

Othello wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Not really. There's far too many great shows to watch and not nearly enough time to watch them all to spend time re-watching shows you've already seen.

I will rewatch stuff occasionally, but generally I prefer to watch something new.

I'm single and work at home so I don't lose any hours to travel time or argue over who gets to watch what and other distractions. LOL :>)) Also, I take great advantage of rewatchigng stuff over the winter break and during the summer. During the regular TV season I have generally a minimum of 5 hours of tv recorded a night, and often a lot more, spread across two DVR's. The only nights of tv I have less than 5 are saturday and sunday. So suring the regular TV season not a lot of rewatching going on but there is a bit on occassion. But during the winter break and summer I watch old DVD's all the time and try and pick up new shows on DVD to watch.
I'm sorry .

I'll sometimes watch re-runs of firefly or Mad Men but not very often.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 12:56 AM   #22
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Yes. If there's something I like for some reason, it tends to get a lot of playtime. This tends to be films I like for visual reasons (Metropolis I have seen an unreasonable amount of times at this point).
Old December 5 2009, 04:26 AM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I very rarely rewatch movies or TV shows, but for whatever reason, I do re-listen to the same music over and over and frakken over.

I've seen my Dexter DVDs once, maybe twice. I've listened to the soundtrack ten billion times.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 04:39 AM   #24
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't anymore, but as a kid I would watch the same Star Wars and Indiana Jones and Doctor Who shows over and over. When I worked in a video store for four years I would put in the Star Wars and Harry Potter movies over and over again.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 05:24 AM   #25
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I haven't been doing as much rewatching lately, mostly because I've been plowing through a lot of TV shows I either never saw or haven't seen in ages (currently working through My So-Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency all at the same time ).

Some titles I frequently find myself watching again and again:

Love Actually
All the President's Men
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Shaft
(the 1971 version)
Cars
Transformers
(the Michael Bay version)
Eddie Izzard: Glorious
Stardust
The Family Stone
Twilight
(it's like a train wreck... I'm horrified, yet I can't turn away)
Firefly and Serenity
McLintock!
Music and Lyrics

And on the rare event that there's a snow day and I can't make it in to work, I curl up on the couch with a big mug full of hot chocolate and watch the extended version of all three Lord of the Rings films.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
—New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote