CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 2 2009, 11:26 PM   #31
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Karate Kid remake - production photos released.

I'm waiting until they call it 'The Kung-fu Kid' because Karate is not from China...

As for the movie itself, I'm waiting until I see it in the theatres or on DVD to give an honest opinion. (Or, I may just wait until I see a trailer).
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 12:05 AM   #32
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I'm not against re-makes in principle ... though the recent glut of them tends to marginalize their collective worth. As far as Karate Kid goes ... I may end up seeing it on DVD eventually. I enjoyed the original 2 films (and actually saw the third in theaters), but that had more to do with my age at the time than the actual films themselves.

More importantly, when will we see a remake of The Goonies?
Old December 3 2009, 12:57 AM   #33
dru
Fleet Captain

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I'm sorry but What the hell? I hope it bombs

Old December 3 2009, 12:59 AM   #34
Galactus
Rear Admiral

I thought the movie was called the Kung Fu Kid. Did I miss something?
Old December 3 2009, 10:37 PM   #35
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So by the looks of things the film actually takes place in China?

I only see one problem: Karate isn't Chinese.

...Just sayin'.
Creative license for the sake of name recognition?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
More importantly, when will we see a remake of The Goonies?
Another one that isn't necessary but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough. I love Goonies. I still watch it 2-3 times a year.

Galactus wrote: View Post
That was the word that came out at one point. Maybe it'll get changed back but I'm sticking with the idea it won't because there is already name recoginition with Karate Kid.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 12:58 AM   #36
Captain Mike
Commodore

I find it kind of amazing, that most of the posters here are against a "remake"..I too, do not think Hollywood's "big" brains" know WTF they are doing. They are getting "remake happy-itus". You find it all over nowadays, from comics to TV and movies. it's no wonder I gave up on movies,...especially after Abrams Trek,..I am VERY particular of what has my favorite "name'(s) attached to it.
Old December 4 2009, 02:04 AM   #37
Aragorn
Admiral

I can't wait until next year when we get the remake of Avatar!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 02:23 PM   #38
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I do wish Will Smith's kid would get a proper haircut.
Agreed.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 04:55 PM   #39
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

The boy can't act.
Old December 4 2009, 06:05 PM   #40
Galactus
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Galactus wrote: View Post
That was the word that came out at one point. Maybe it'll get changed back but I'm sticking with the idea it won't because there is already name recoginition with Karate Kid.
I have never seen it referred to as the Karate Kid in any big news outlets. It is starring Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan. How much more recognition do you need?
Old December 4 2009, 06:41 PM   #41
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
The fact most people go "Will Smith's son" like you did. It's not enough to just be the 'son of' and get butts in seats. Jackie Chan is a recognized name for sure but it doesn't mean his ability to get tickets sold is that great. His films aren't sold on his name alone. Look how many "buddy films" he has to do. When is the last 'starring Jackie Chan' film that lit the box office on fire?

More people will likely see Karate Kid with Chan than a Kung Fu Kid with Chan based on some recoginition of what they can expect with the known quantity of Karate Kid.
Before you say it I know that Kung-Fu kid should give the same conotation to people but frankly the longer I'm around the more I realize the mass public doesn't connect those dots as easy as we do.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 07:37 AM   #42
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Here's the trailer...

Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 07:44 AM   #43
Aragorn
Admiral

Looks like it goes through a lot of the same paces as the original, except for a much younger age group. Though going to China to learn about karate would be like remaking The Last Samuri and setting it in Iran.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 05:09 PM   #44
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'll speak for myself here but I can't be alone. I'm sick of seeing less original fare.
Why aren't you sick of Broadway coming out with constant revivals (that's what I consider most of these movies to be also) of every old musical under the fracking sun? I've seen the same amount on Broadway and in the theater districts of Toronto (a recent version of Fiddler On The Roof with Harvey Fierstein as Tevye comes to mind.) Why do we need to see another revival of Hair or Godspell? Why another version of Oklahoma with Hugh Jackman in it? Why a recent revival of The Threepenny Opera with a black Canadian actress as Pirate Jenny? Just because they can make one with a person of color? (the same also applies to the revival of Man Of La Mancha with Brian Stokes Mitchell as Cervantes/Quixote, and a TV production for KBS in Korean.) Why not some new musicals, like what Disney did with High School Musical I & High School Musical II & III (which now has many teens wanting to be Broadway triple threats)? Or like Joss Whedon's neo-classics Once More With Feeling or Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long?

As another said are they really going to remake everything from '39-'89 that had/has a built in name recognition? Seems so. Short Circuit is even being redone. Predator is shooting now. Robocop has been in redevelopment the last few years.
Same with most Broadway musicals; I'll bet you that there's a remake/revival of Miss Saigon in the offing right now at the offices of some production company, along with a revival of The Rocky Horror Show to come later...

Heck Avatar is a retread of a common theme(ie Dances with Wolves, ST:Insurrection) but at least its trying to feel different by marketing it as a visual extravaganza vs story worth hearing(again). Not that I care to see it but its trying.
To you Avatar's story is overdone; actually, it's a timeless classic tale that has meaning now in the real world with what's happening in Indonesia to the Penan people and the Sarawak rainforests; the character of Jake Sully can be considered a version of the real life activist Bruno Manser who fought for the Penan people much like Jake does for the Na'vi in the movie.

How about if they want to remake movies they take box office duds and rework those into something fresh. Seeing as how the property was done poorly the first time it leaves all the room in the world to rework and add to the script making it something better.
A box office dud is a box office dud-there's no way in hell a corporation will finance a remake of a movie that failed (although I wouldn't mind seeing a film version of the 1998 version of Lost In Space with an all-black cast and a better script-I like it, though.) All that we'll get is the recent version of Battlestar Galactica, it seems.

My guess is that in another 10yrs(minimum) some studio will be talking about remaking Rocky, Rambo, Indiana Jones, Die Hard and Terminator. Now those are some holy ground franchises but like DC Comics who never passes up a chance to redo a Crisis every 5yrs those too are bound for remakes.
To paraphrase an old quote, 'There is nothing new under the sun'. And most revivals (film & theater) usually do happen in that time space; most of the time, it's 20 or 30 years (the length of time it took to make remakes in the past-Lost Horizon & The Wages Of Fear come to mind.) Just as you don't mind all of those Broadway revivals, you shouldn't be risking a heat attack over these Hollywood remakes: they will stand or fall due to their own merits or demerits.

TheMurph wrote: View Post
The boy can't act.
All he has to act like is as a boy-which he is-and the rest will come easy.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; December 24 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 05:17 PM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DeMille made "The Ten Commandments" twice.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote