Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 17 2009, 03:11 PM   #136
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?

Caligula wrote: View Post
3. The viewscreen getting shot out. Surprisingly, that was something we'd never seen happen in all the previous space battles in Star Trek over the years.
Actually, we did see the viewscreen shot out in Voyager's Year of Hell. In fact, John Logan claims that was his inspiration for doing it in Nemesis.
Old November 17 2009, 06:37 PM   #137
Voyagerian
Commander

Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
Being a P/C fan, I liked the little bit of interaction between the two in this movie, more so than the other three TNG films. There seemed to be more of that old connection between the two. I wish the cut scenes were in there too, like the goodbye and the wedding party conversation, but at least we got Bev sitting on his desk like she did in the series.

I also liked:

*The wedding.
*The end battle.
*The nature vs. nuture theme.
*Brent Spiner's acting when he as Data deactivates B-4.
*Data's funeral.
*The Ready Room scene where Picard tries to dissuade Shinzon from following through with his plan. This is something that harkened back to the series where he would try to use talk first before action. And yeah, this movie has a lot of action, so it was nice to see things slow down a bit there.
*Riker trying to remember the tune Data whistled.
*The goodbye between Riker and Picard.
*Picard walking and smiling down the corridor at the end.
Those 'family moments' are what makes it for me in any ST-especially Voyager, whose Family was forged by extreme circumstance, and shared isolation. I wouldn't mind seeing Bev and Jean-Luc become a couple myself.
Voyagerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 09:55 PM   #138
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Loved the battle scene between the Enterprise and the Scimitar. It evoked the battle between the Enterprise and the cloaked Bird of Prey in The Undiscovered Country. When the Enterprise was on full impulse to ram the Scimitar, I said to myself (like the Son'a from Insurrection said to Worf) "He wouldn't," and he did!

My eyes widened and jaw fell when the two ships impacted. I had never seen Star Trek do anything like that before. It was almost like Picard had said to himself, "That's it! No more of this bullshit!" *RAAAAAAAM*

I'll always remember that shot of the partially destroyed Enterprise and the Scimitar just sitting quietly in space after to the two vessels detached from each other. Someone in the theater whispered loudly, "Jesus..."
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:38 PM   #139
ClayinCA
Commodore

Cpt Cullison wrote: View Post
even though i;m a huge fan nemises was complete bullshit
>sigh<

Yes, but what did you like about it?!?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:57 PM   #140
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
>sigh<

Yes, but what did you like about it?!?

Thank you.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 10:01 AM   #141
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

I've always liked Nemesis, and it has a wealth of great stuff in it (like the equally hated TFF).

Most of the stuff has already been listed, but the final space battle was truly awesome.
Old November 20 2009, 11:59 AM   #142
Bones
Commodore

Not as bullshit as your spelling, punctuation, and inability to read a topic title.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 09:45 AM   #143
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Riker hanging by one arm after kicking off the Viceroy = awesome
Agreed, although I think it needed something extra. It needed a cool action hero line in the vein of Kirk's "I... have HAD... enough of YOU!" IIRC, the original script had Riker say something like, "Don't worry. Hell is dark."

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I mention this because there's Shatner Kirk. He solved a film by getting into a face-to-face confrontation twice out of seven movies... and this is Man of Action Kirk. It just seems very odd to me that Picard is put into these situations by writers all four times he's on screen. Even Kirk and Khan were never truly face-to-face. Primarily, I blame the writers for maneuvering Picard into such routes, and they're just a few reasons why I don't like INS and NEM (it was particularly cartoony in NEM, in an 80s Stallone flick kind of way).

With the Borg Queen, sure I can believe that scenario as it was on the Enterprise itself. I can also forgive Soran (to a point) as it was the first TNG movie AND that Picard hadn't yet turned into some sort of dynamo yet (he really did fight like an old man! )
The reason why I would say the Generations stuff was still very much in character was because things only degenerated into a fistfight as a last resort. His intention was clearly "to dissuade me from my horrific plan."

I just rewatched Nemesis yesterday. One thing that still really impresses me is how well they've integrated Data & B-4 into the same scenes. The split-screen shots are seamless. Spiner's body double is perfect. And Spiner differentiates the characters so well that I keep forgetting that it's the same character playing both roles.
Old November 21 2009, 11:04 PM   #144
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

There were 2 moments in Nemesis where I was able to stop thinking about how shit it was, and actually enjoy it for a few minutes.

1) Picard and Data's escape via shuttle.
2) Data deactivating B-4.

Which isn't to say I particularly liked either sequence... it rose to the level of "competent".
Old November 22 2009, 12:29 AM   #145
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

The wedding.
Data's sing.
The scene with Picard stating "I'll be in the gym!", pulls in his stomach, walks out.
The explosive decompression on the bridge, the helms-woman being blown out and killed.
Deanna's expression when she realizes Data is dead.
The last shot with Picard and the new first officer, the bands breaking up and life goes on, very real.

Wasn't the dune buggy fight with the natives a prime directive violation? Worf guns down more than a few.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 08:14 AM   #146
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

What did I love about Nemesis?

-The 'Marco, Polo' scene where Deanna finds the Scimitar using her empathic powers, and gets the Enterprise to blast the Scimitar- a great way to avenge Shinzon taking away her wedding 'virtue'.

-The little Romulan space fighter-if they ever make a real Star Trek space fighter combat game (like Tom Clancy's HAWX or the original Wing Commander), that fighter should be one of the ones you use later on in the game (captured as a spoil of war!)

-The shuttle used to get to the planet where B-4 was.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; November 22 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 01:06 PM   #147
Corwwyn
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I mean, there are things in this movie that drive me up the wall, but there are moments where the movie really shines.

* I love the Riker/Troi wedding party. Even when I first saw the movie I said to myself "It's about time!".

* Tom Hardy as Shinzon - You know, I don't think the guy gets enough credit. Sure his motivation was a bit, well, confusing, but I think he played the part very well.

* The special effects in this movie were extremely well done. To me, it's one of the best things about the movie.

* Commander Donatra. ..okay, well I have this thing for Romulan women. :P

* The opening sequence. I loved the feel of the opening sequence. To me it's the best opening sequence since Star Trek VI (but not as good as TFF's).

So, what did you like about the movie (and I will say this right now, please, no "the credits rolling" or anything similar as answers).

J.
The wedding was ok.
Commander Donatra was the standout for me. Excellent performance.
Some of the bridge displays were good (eg the shield indicators weren't ludicrous like in TWOK) - it seemed as if someone actually paid attention to that kind of thing for once.

The movie wasn't a complete steaming pile. It did have moments.

Corwwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 02:54 PM   #148
guinanlore
Cadet

I would have had Shinzon played by Patrick Stewart and had him the same age as Picard.
guinanlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 04:11 PM   #149
Bones
Commodore

guinanlore wrote: View Post
I would have had Shinzon played by Patrick Stewart and had him the same age as Picard.
A lot of people say that, but I just can't imagine it being anything other than dismal. But then. I like Tom Hardy in the role.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 01:13 AM   #150
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Red-Bonesed Reindeer wrote: View Post
guinanlore wrote: View Post
A lot of people say that, but I just can't imagine it being anything other than dismal. But then. I like Tom Hardy in the role.
Why can Brent Spiner have two roles as good guy and bad guy in the series, but with Stewart it would suddenly be dismal?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote