MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 5 2009, 10:35 PM   #76
Shaw
Commodore

Re: A Two-Thirds 33 inch Enterprise

Thanks Guys!

Most of the compromises I made while building this model stemmed from a lack of experience (and lack of confidence in my abilities). There are a number of things I would do differently when making another attempt... specially now that I'm pretty sure I could accomplish them.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 02:19 AM   #77
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looks fantastic to me, Shaw.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 08:20 PM   #78
Shaw
Commodore

So yesterday I went to show a friend the comparison shots of my model and found that I hadn't posted them here (which was the easiest thread to find on someone else's system)... sorry about the over sight.

I've been planning out a future second attempt at this model. I figured the best way to evaluate how I did on this one was to set the model side by side with the original 33 inch model (or at least some of the images we have of that model). Even though this type of comparison tends to highlight the shortcomings of my modeling skills, I figure each new build should learn from the mistakes of the previous ones.

Some of the angles don't match up exactly, but they should be good enough for comparison purposes. And the shots of the 33 inch model are from throughout it's production life, but the overall physical shape of the model didn't really change much (other than after it was dropped between the second and third seasons... which effected the nacelle alignment).

I figured as long as I had put the images together, I may as well share them. And I think looking at them I've come up with some good strategies for improving on this one (beyond just improving my basic model building skills).
Old December 15 2009, 04:15 AM   #79
Shaw
Commodore

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Words to live by (specially if you make a lot of mistakes like me).

I've cut out six of the eight pieces of foam core board that will be used for my second attempt at a two-thirds scale replica of the 33 inch Enterprise's primary hull. And I've started gluing them of those together.

As I stated earlier in this thread, on my first attempt I wasn't sure how to proceed towards making the primary hull and dorsal, so I got started on modifying the rest of the pieces and built foam core board stand-ins so I could judge how the model was working during test assemblies. I eventually experimented with the stand-in pieces which became the final pieces of my first attempt. But because they started as stand-ins and because I wasn't sure of what I was doing, my primary hull was less than perfect (which is why I didn't even venture an attempt at making a casting of it).

This time, armed with experience and some better ideas, I hope to end up with a primary hull and dorsal that are worthy of using as masters.

I'm hoping to finish far quicker than before (like within a month and a half) as I won't be worrying as much about how to proceed at each step of the way. Plus it isn't like I don't already have a nice model, so there is significantly less pressure over screwing up.

I had considered attempting a one-to-one build rather than another two-thirds attempt, but when I rolled out the larger plans I realized just how much bigger a model it would be (specially when I couldn't find a place where I could completely roll out the plans flat). So I'll have to figure out a solution to that issue at some later date.

Here are some of the steps I've taken so far...

Gluing some of the pieces together (the lower primary hull pieces).

I took more care in the cutting of these than before and I'm taking extra care in keeping everything as flat as possible,

Start of sculpting the curves of the lower primary hull. I'm reducing the amount of sculpting (by taking many more steps in the build up) so to take greater care on symmetry this time.

I did some sanding and used a compass to draw a number of rings on the surface. These ring should look like straight lines when viewed from the sides and should help in identifying errors.

I started filling in the undercut. One of the issues of the stuff that I'm using to build this part (AMACO Sculptamold, which is a cellulose-based paper maché) is that it tends to stick to any porous/non-smooth surface... like fingers. Additionally, fingers aren't the best tool for creating uniform curves. My solution was to cut the top off a 2 litre Coke bottle and use that rounded surface as a sculpting tool. The stuff doesn't stick to the surface of the plastic and seems to be giving me a much nicer shape.

Another issue with the first attempt was that the primary hull started warping... and not in the Star Trek sense. The original was totally assembled from all the foam core board pieces before I had started sculpting the surface. So the water in the paper maché effected the flatness, and because both sides were raised, there wasn't really a surface to flatten it against. Plus I only noticed the warping quite a ways into the process.

Because the underside require so much more work, I haven't even attempted to add the pieces to the top and have it set on a small board which helps keep it flat. Currently I have a plastic bowl with holes in it that has the same diameter of the outer flat area (around 9 inches) set on top while drying... plus a 5 lb. weight on top of that. I figure that should keep it flat while it dries and cures.

Couple more progress pics... more surfacing and sanding (and checking the curves).

And on a similar topic... I didn't want to over look this date. 45 years ago today (December 14th) the 33 inch model was delivered to Roddenberry while The Cage was being filmed in Culver City.

Old December 15 2009, 03:59 PM   #80
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Shaw wrote: View Post
And on a similar topic... I didn't want to over look this date. 45 years ago today (December 14th) the 33 inch model was delivered to Roddenberry while The Cage was being filmed in Culver City.
Wow! Now there is a day to remember! When was the 11 footer delivered?
Old December 15 2009, 06:33 PM   #81
Shaw
Commodore

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Shaw wrote: View Post
Wow! Now there is a day to remember! When was the 11 footer delivered?
December 29, 1964.

I have a bunch of pictures of it assembled in the street in front of Volmer Jensen's Production Models Shop in Burbank on that day. I'll put them together before the 29th.
Old December 15 2009, 08:20 PM   #82
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

A bunch of pictures? All I've ever seen is the one.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2010, 10:12 AM   #83
Shaw
Commodore

So back in December I started in on a second attempt at this model at 22 inches (some images are shown a few posts up thread). I thought I'd post a series of images showing my progress to date.

It isn't all that different from my first attempt... just a little better thanks to the skills learned from the building of the last model. Nothing is really glued together yet, just a test assembly to make sure everything is fitting together correctly.
Old March 15 2010, 09:39 PM   #84
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Lookin' good so far.
Old March 17 2010, 11:33 PM   #85
BK613
Captain

Man I wish I had the patience for that kind of work. Awesome job!
Old March 18 2010, 03:41 AM   #86
blssdwlf
Commodore

Ditto. Nice progress, Shaw
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 06:42 PM   #87
Gagarin
Commander

Great seeing some more work, Shaw.

Curious - what "version" of the classic ship do you prefer? Perhaps there's design marits in the 3-footer that you enjoy more than the 11-footer?
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 10:12 AM   #88
Shaw
Commodore

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Gagarin wrote: View Post
Curious - what "version" of the classic ship do you prefer? Perhaps there's design marits in the 3-footer that you enjoy more than the 11-footer?
On screen... the 11 foot version. But in person I've always wanted my models of the Enterprise to look like the Enterprise as it did while sitting on the table in Requiem for Methuselah. And there is the added bonus that the 33 inch version has been almost completely neglected over the last 40 years by model builders, which means I end up with the subject pretty much to myself.

At any rate, few more progress shots...

And a couple comparisons with the first model (even though none of the major piece of the second have been glued together yet).

Old March 19 2010, 09:37 PM   #89
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Shaw, this thing is astonishing. I just can't believe you're making it by hand and achieving this kind of result. If I attempted anything like this, I'm convinced it would come out a warped, droopy mess with so little resemblance to the original subject that I'd have to tell people, "It's the Enterprise!" And at that, I'm sure any expressed recognition would be nothing more than an attempt to humor me.

Is there any chance to see video of part of the creation/forming process?

Also, a few months ago, you mentioned having pictures from the delivery day of the 11-footer. Can you share them?
Old March 20 2010, 12:23 AM   #90
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Yes, emphasis on the plural, pictures.