Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2009, 09:53 PM   #466
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Hallowe'en Reading 2007!

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Does that mean you read it in an editorial capacity, Greg?

(I dream of being an author, but I don't know very much about the industry.)

I wasn't the editor on DARK HARVEST. I just wrote the back cover copy for the Tor edition.
Old November 22 2009, 11:18 AM   #467
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

I guess it's time to rename the thread once again.

The other day I got a surprise email that The Wolf Man (Special Edition) shipped, however, when I got it, it was the green Legacy set. It looks like it was just an Amazon error, though, and they're supposedly sending me the right one. I'm looking forward to watching all of those special features.

I also couldn't resist jumping into The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men; it hopped right up to the top of my "to read" list. I'm only about a hundred pages in, but so far, so good. It not only has modern stories by the likes of Clive Barker and Ramsey Campbell, but a couple of old pulp entries, too. One's a novella-length tale collected from three issues of Weird Tales in 1938, and one's from Spicy Mystery Stories in 1942. They're by Manly Wade Wellman and Hugh B. Cave, respectively.

So, for a blind buy, I'm pretty pleased with it.
Old November 22 2009, 11:15 PM   #468
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Manly Wade Wellman! That makes it worth the price of admission right there. He's the guy who wrote the "John The Balladeer" stories, which you should definitely seek out if you haven't read them. Highly recommended. Plus, Hugh B Cave, Weird Tales and Spicy Mystery? I'm ordering this today with some of my Christmas shopping.

That must have been a letdown with the Wolf Man Special Edition. When is the real ETA?

I wonder if there's a DVD release date yet for House Of Wolf Man?
Old November 25 2009, 01:02 AM   #469
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I'm about 150 pages in, now, and there hasn't been a dud yet. I'm really pleased. A couple of typos, which is weird for a reprint, but not very many.

It's a pretty broad range of stories so far. From Cold War werewolves, to a touching werewolf family story to a tale about a man whose transformation is entirely psychological. (I remember Curt Siodmak saying that his original concept for The Wolf Man was along those lines.)

I was intending to put the anthology down temporarily so that I could dig into a new novel, but I haven't been inclined to take a break from it yet, which is a good sign.

Amazon was quick to send me a replacement for The Wolf Man Special Edition, but they sent me the green Legacy set again. Now it looks like many customers are having the same problem.

This site lists the release date as February 2nd, which sounds about right, coinciding with the remake. They have a different cover for it, which I kind of like better.

As for House of the Wolf Man, someone said on their discussion board that they heard it's going to be released on DVD next October, but the official response from "Bela Frankenstein" was that they hope it'll be long before that. There was implication that it might be distributed by Universal, which would be great.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; November 25 2009 at 02:11 AM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2009, 02:09 AM   #470
RJDiogenes

Wow. I wonder if Universal will adopt it and consider it part of the continuity. That would be great, if the movie is as good as it looks. I hope we don't have to wait a year for it, though....

I had the same problem that you're having with Wolf Man last year when I ordered the first Pern novel. I had to order it at least four times, and I got a different book each of the first three, one of which I had to return (I liked the others, so I kept them). It turned out there was some corrupted data in their database; after the third time I ordered it, I got a message to wait a couple of months and try again.

I wish I had that Werewolf anthology tonight. It sounds great.
Old November 26 2009, 12:29 AM   #471
RJDiogenes

Not entirely off Topic-- since there are monsters involved --and I'm probably the last kid on the block to tumble to this, but Secret Saturdays is back for it second Season. Now it's on Saturday mornings. I think about four episodes have been broadcast so far, but they are sadly not available on On Demand.
Old December 1 2009, 10:38 AM   #472
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Anyone know of some good Christmas-themed horror reading?

There are several movies good for watching around this time of year, but I'd like to find a decent horror novel or anthology with a yuletide bent.
Old December 1 2009, 10:47 AM   #473
RJDiogenes

I'll try to think of something-- the only Christmas-themed horror that comes immediately to mind is Gremlins and a few Gahan Wilson cartoons.

I'm sure there must be a couple of anthologies, though, if not novels.
Old December 1 2009, 10:58 AM   #474
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I'll try to think of something-- the only Christmas-themed horror that comes immediately to mind is Gremlins and a few Gahan Wilson cartoons.
Don't forget The Nightmare Before Christmas; though usually treated as a Halloween film, it works well for either holiday.
Old December 1 2009, 11:02 AM   #475
RJDiogenes

True. I need to get around to watching that at some point....
Old December 1 2009, 11:09 AM   #476
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

There are plenty of movies that either play on the season directly (Black Christmas, Gremlins, etc.), and there are lots that just take place at this time of year.

I'm mostly looking for something to read, though. The Wolf Men book mentioned one of the authors being featured in an anthology called Horror for Christmas, which I assume is this book. I might just bite the bullet and grab a cheap used copy.
Old December 1 2009, 11:25 AM   #477
RJDiogenes

I wonder if the Cemetery Dance site sorts by Christmas-themed books; it sounds like something they would do.
Old December 2 2009, 11:44 AM   #478
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I'm sure they have some Christmas-themed books, even if they don't have an actual store. They're a little pricier than I'd like to go right now, though.

I'm all about cheap and/or coupons.
Old December 2 2009, 07:33 PM   #479
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Universal has this cool site as part of their promotion of the Wolf Man remake:

http://thewolfmanmovie.com/legacy/
Old December 3 2009, 12:26 AM   #480
RJDiogenes

^^ That's a great site. I love the compilation movie at the beginning. Hopefully that will turn a lot of people on to the good old stuff.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I'm sure they have some Christmas-themed books, even if they don't have an actual store. They're a little pricier than I'd like to go right now, though.

I'm all about cheap and/or coupons.
I can dig it. Especially after just spending five hundred bucks on tooth torture.

I wasn't able to come up with much in the way of Christmas Horror. This looks like it's probably pretty good. This looks less promising. The fact that there's nothing Christmasy in the suggested book list bodes ill for Yuletide scariness.