Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 27 2009, 04:28 PM   #151
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Leonardo T. Dragon wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Michael Chris wrote: View Post
How's the video quality? My starbursts are falling apart, but I read on Digital Bits that the quality is actually worse on the new set..
Personally I think it looks pretty good. But I never had either the ADV or Starburst sets, so I can't compare.
I recently sold off my ADV series set to purchase this A&E release and thus far I've noticed no appreciable difference in quality. I'm using a Toshiba HD-DVD player to upscale to 1080p and the picture looks clean and crisp. In fact the space sequences seem to upscale better than those found in my Atlantis Season 5 discs. So far I've watched the first two discs of season 1 (hard to get through compared to the greatness that follows in seasons 2-4) and "Crichton Kicks" and these discs are solid!

I'm just glad to not have Farscape dominating an entire shelf and a half on my DVD rack. Those ADV releases took up a LOT of space.
I can understand that. I have the same thing going with my Star Trek DVD's. I have two bookshelves in my living room, one that is actually for books, and the other is full of DVD sets and movies. The entire top shelf is devoted to Star Trek. Of course I managed to get the season sets of all five shows (in the case of TOS, both the originals, and the remastered), TAS, and all 11 movies stuffed up there.

They've sort of crowded out my other DVD's.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 01:32 AM   #152
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

So if anyone was doing a Farscape rewatch, where are you currently. For me, I watched The Way We Weren't and Picture if You Will last night. TWWW is still one of the most amazing hours of Television I've ever seen (Of course, my favorite episode of the series) and I actually somewhat enjoyed Picture, even though the end kind of made the episode dive a bit. Nice to see Maldis again.
Old December 1 2009, 01:36 AM   #153
Kegg
Rear Admiral

"The Way We Weren't" took a slight dive in my estimation when I rewatched the series - I still liked it, but Aeryn's speech to Pilot at the end feels a trifle soapish now, as do a couple of other beats. I don't know, it's still good and the twisting way both are complicit in a pretty ugly event (and in Aeryn's case, also involved in a more personal betrayal) make it a pretty strong character study.

And the whole attitude of the episode is summed up rather aptly by Chiana: Did we think Aeryn was one of the nice Peacekeepers or something?

I liked the Maldis episode, like the earlier one it was weird but tending on the goofy side of the weird rather than the disturbing side (for a supposedly ultimately unstoppable and unkillable force Maldis inspires laughter far more than he inspires dread).
Old December 1 2009, 01:38 AM   #154
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Are you talking about the "Take the Journey with me" speech? That makes the episode for me. Realizing that yes, She does share his DNA makes it all the more poignant considered the emotional memories they've had to experience throughout the rest of the show. The way everything came together was just brilliant.
Old December 1 2009, 03:04 AM   #155
Kegg
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Are you talking about the "Take the Journey with me" speech? That makes the episode for me.
Yeah, that's the one. Struck me the wrong way upon rewatching the series - it just feels a little pat, to be honest.
Old December 1 2009, 06:28 AM   #156
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I've been watching Farscape again thanks to Netflix and I have to admit, the show really has aged very well. Its aged better than a number of other shows. Sure some of the S1/S2 aliens are a little on the cheesy side, but this show really has some great stories.

Now I keep saying Farscape swears LOL."I'm freezing my frelling nivoks off!"
Old December 1 2009, 06:33 AM   #157
RoJoHen
Awesome

mivonks

I'm actually in the middle of Season 4 with my friends. I've been making them watch, and they love it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to finish off the series until they come back home for Christmas.

I'm tempted to not show them the miniseries and just end it with "Bad Timing."

And then I'll show them "The Peacekeeper Wars" two years from now.

Last edited by Jolly Ole Saint RoJo; December 1 2009 at 06:48 AM.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 06:59 AM   #158
Harvey
Admiral

You know, I didn't see the series until The Peacekeeper Wars was about to be released. But then I ended up waiting two years (three years?) before I watched the fourth season and the miniseries, anyway. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

I need to replace my first season DVDs--they're the double sided Starburst sets--and my first volume of season two. Money's tight right now, though, so it'll have to wait.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 07:03 AM   #159
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm currently watching "John Quixote." It's such an awesome example of just how fucked up Farscape could get.

Season 4 is amazing (even the first half) if you pay enough attention. There is a lot of subtlety to the overall story that you miss the first time around.
Old December 1 2009, 10:14 AM   #160
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I first caught the show in the furore around its cancellation, which was around the time for some reason there were constant marathons of it here on Sci-Fi (I'm not sure why, in retrospect - hey, check out this awesome cancelled show?). A random mishmash of episodes that included "Coup by Clam" and "Out of Their Minds", both of which I considered terrible. I didn't get it and I didn't like it and I didn't understand why so many people were trying to bring it back.

I wound up trying it again a few years later, from the start. That was a fairly good call.
Old December 1 2009, 10:19 AM   #161
Harvey
Admiral

I'm sure they were trying to give the series as good a send-off as they could, considering they ended it a year early. I have to say, though, Farscape is really hard to get into midstream. If you think the end of The Way We Weren't is melodramatic, try watching it cold without the benefit of all the previous episodes. I can understand why the show struggled with viewers.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 10:34 AM   #162
RoJoHen
Awesome

I actually started watching it right at the end of Season 2 with the "Liars, Guns, and Money" trilogy. I had no idea what was going on, but it was still so awesome that I was instantly hooked!
Old December 1 2009, 07:13 PM   #163
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So if anyone was doing a Farscape rewatch, where are you currently. For me, I watched The Way We Weren't and Picture if You Will last night. TWWW is still one of the most amazing hours of Television I've ever seen (Of course, my favorite episode of the series) and I actually somewhat enjoyed Picture, even though the end kind of made the episode dive a bit. Nice to see Maldis again.
I plan to start rewatching the series, but not until Jan.1. I did however, cheat and watch both the episodes you name here over the weekend, and my all time favorite "Out of Their Minds". No matter how many times I see that episode, I NEVER get tired of watching Claudia Black feel herself up--even if she is playing Crichton in Ayren's body.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 07:24 PM   #164
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I watched Out of their Minds last night. This is the first episode I ever watched of Farscape, and still probably the best "outer body" type episode I've ever seen in the Genre. There were some laugh out loud hilarity in this one, such as the Aeryn scene you mentioned, and Rygel learning how to take a piss.

If there is one thing I'm noticing about season 2 though, it's that writers really seemed to either be high, or just write episodes that increased the shit-o-meter so much over what we saw in Season 1. Episodes like Taking the Stone, Out of Their Minds, and another two I saw last night (Home on the Remains and My Three Crichtons) were just really really weird. That's all good though. It was really that which got me into the show in the first place.
Old December 1 2009, 07:35 PM   #165
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I really liked "My Three Crichtons", though I want to know why evolved humans would, uh, no longer have anything down there.