Our first blu-ray movie is . . .

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by propita, Nov 28, 2009.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

. . . Star Trek, of course!

Hubby had me buy a blu-ray player as he had already bought the movie today (Black Friday). And I'M the ST fan in the family!

He also told me to hit Best Buy and get the 3 ST blu-ray movies that were $7.99 each. Again, I'm the ST fan--or I thought I was.

We decided to double-dip only when something in the film justifies it--like any ST film. I did also get "300." I think the guys' costumes alone justify it, but also for the action. Hubby thinks Lena Headey alone justifies it. Even enough, but I get more eye-candy.

This time the purchases coincided. We got our first dvd weeks before the player ("Moonstruck," a film we know practically by heart).

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congrats! Are you going to get the other seven Trek movies now? :p

When you decide to increase your collection, it might be good to check out Blu-ray review sites (highdefdigest.com, bluray.com, etc.) -- not for reviews of the movies themselves, but for reviews of the video and audio. You can find out a lot about older titles (Robocop) that the studios didn't bother to do much of an upgrade of, or newer titles (Gladiator) that have video issues.

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ thanks, I'll mark those sites right now.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

THIS was my first Blu-Ray. It's my favorite IMAX film ever, and one of my favorite films *of any kind*. The Blu-Ray is absolutely beautiful. You'd never know that the film is over 20 years old. I highly recommend it. And no pesky dialogue to get in the way. ;)

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first Blu-Ray was Fringe Season 1. My first movie was technically Terminator 3. Not a great movie, but serviceable. Good explosions. :)

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Nice, propita! The only thing I really enjoy watching on blu-ray so far is Planet Earth, which is really stunning. I hadn't even thought about getting Trek on blu-ray. I'll have to put that on my Christmas list. :)

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Congrats! :)

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Star Trek" is definitely one of, if not THE, best blu-ray I've seen yet. Picture and audio are superb. I also highly recommend the blu-ray sets of the original series, it looks great (and you get both the new CG effects and the originals via seamless branching).

My first blu-rays were the Edward Norton "Incredible Hulk", and "Hellboy II", which also sport excellent picture and audio.