Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2009, 09:32 PM   #31
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Re: Is Fringe any good?

Gaith wrote: View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, and have said my peace. I don't like procedurals, and my distaste increases in direct proportion to their lack of realism. Well, okay, now I've said my peace.
Are you sure you don't want to repeat the same thing for a 3rd time in this thread... There's always a chance we missed it the first two times!
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 11:09 PM   #32
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^^ That's fair, but I must note in my defense that more people were replying to my remarks than calling for a return to the OP before I made that post.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 02:40 AM   #33
stj
Rear Admiral

To agree with others, the character of Walter Bishop is extremely entertaining. He's not believable. The show can't seem to make up its mind about how mentally ill Walter is. Even worse, the producers seem to think that a mentally ill scientist is a particularly well qualified one, instead of one who can't do science because he's sick.

One character doesn't make a show, however. Peter Bishop is slowly being modified to a character hanging around because he wants a relationship with his father. But his original motive (horny for Olivia Dunham) still lingers, and the show's plots are all skewed because there's no real reason for him to even be there, much less be Olivia's partner/boy friend. The producers seem to think that Peter's militant ignorance makes him cool, instead of realizing it just makes his presence even more inexplicable.

The so-called mytharc is only interesting in respect to the Walter/Peter dynamic.

The less said about Olivia the better. Anna Torv is very attractive so maybe you won't want to throw things at the tv when her character's on.

My recommendation is do not, do not, buy this until it's marked down to $6 for a season set at Big Lots.
Old November 29 2009, 03:08 AM   #34
Harvey
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
One character doesn't make a show, however.
Every once and a while there's a rare example in which this does work out, such as Patrick McGoohan as Number Six on The Prisoner.

But from what I've seen of Walter (which is to say, a few youtube clips), he's not enough to hang the show on. An amusing supporting character can't keep a ship of leading characters who aren't the least bit interesting afloat.

I wish Lance Reddick was on a better show, but he's probably earning more money on Fringe than he did on The Wire, and it's a good stepping stone to a role in the next Abrams Trek movie, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 03:20 AM   #35
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Lance Reddick is a supporting character. Walter is a main character, and the de facto star of the show. At least, in the sense that he is the only thing worth watching on it.
Old November 29 2009, 04:04 AM   #36
Harvey
Admiral

^^
He may be the only thing worth watching on it, but aren't the young FBI agents (The Mulder/Scully clones) the supposed leads?

Old November 29 2009, 04:12 AM   #37
DWF
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
^^
He may be the only thing worth watching on it, but aren't the young FBI agents (The Mulder/Scully clones) the supposed leads?
Only Olivia Dunning is an FBI agent, Peter is Walter's son and Walter is in his custody since Walter was in a mental hospital. But I think all three are the leads of the show. And I do think the relationship between Peter and Olivia is closer to a brother and sister relationship than a romantic one.

Personally I really like the show, it started out a bit of an X-Files clone but it goes off in it's own direction late in the season. But they have X-Files style eps. even into the second season.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 04:15 AM   #38
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

^^
Walter, Peter and Olivia are the three leads. Walter is the heart of the show (his silent breakdown in the diner in 1x19 alone was award-worthy), and is one of the two or three very best characters on TV right now (up there with Gemma Morrow on Sons of Anarchy and Bobby Singer on Supernatural). Frankly, he is enough to hang the show on.

To say that Olivia and Peter are clones of the original leads of The X-Files is to do the show a disservice, though. Their vastly different backstories and worldviews are more than enough to differentiate them. Granted, it owes its origins to Carter's series, but has more in common with stories like Planetary.
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 04:15 AM   #39
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

^^
The sense I get is the writers view Olivia, Peter and Walter as the primary characters and who the focus of the stories are directed while Astrid, Nina and Broyles are the supporting cast.

Astrid is not much more than a glorified but amiable extra. Nina is hardly seen anymore but I always found her intriguing. Broyles is okay but nothing to exciting. I actually preferred him on LOST as Abaddon who himself was not much more than a plot device. Strangely enough season one's enigmatic Mr Jones was a far more interesting character than all of the others in my opinion. Olivia/Peter lack the chemistry--platonic or otherwise--that Scully and Mulder had and what made TXF such a wonderful viewing experience.
DWF wrote: View Post
Personally I really like the show, it started out a bit of an X-Files clone but it goes off in it's own direction late in the season. But they have X-Files style eps. even into the second season.
The problem isn't that they do freaks of the week type stories--the problem is that they aren't the least bit fresh or clever with any sort of interesting spin or twist. It pretty much is straightforward as we sit through the motions as they go from point A to point B by the end of the hour. It also has a bad habit of being formulaic in that some mumbo jumbo gadget saves the day. Those were big problems in season one and the only time we got a break from that was with the mythology episodes which injected some genuine mystery and suspense as to what is going on and what would happen next. That is why the show desperately needs to be the kind of heavily serialized show that LOST or season one Heroes is/was. It forces the writers to carve out a unique identity for the show.

Last edited by startrekwatcher; November 29 2009 at 04:27 AM.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 04:36 AM   #40
DWF
Vice Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
The problem isn't that they do freaks of the week type stories--the problem is that they aren't the least bit fresh or clever with any sort of interesting spin or twist. It pretty much is straightforward as we sit through the motions as they go from point A to point B by the end of the hour. It also has a bad habit of being formulaic in that some mumbo jumbo gadget saves the day. Those were big problems in season one and the only time we got a break from that was with the mythology episodes which injected some genuine mystery and suspense as to what is going on and what would happen next. That is why the show desperately needs to be the kind of heavily serialized show that LOST or season one Heroes is/was. It forces the writers to carve out a unique identity for the show.
The "freak of the week" formula on The X-Files was taken from the original Night Stalker show, so it's not new either way you look at it. But they can still provide some good shocks which really is the point of the storylines to being with.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 05:02 AM   #41
stj
Rear Admiral

Yes, Olivia, Peter and Walter are the leads. But Olivia is developing superpowers, which makes her nothing like Mulder or Scully, although it does make her a boring comic book heroine. Peter's obtuse disinterest in science, or the Pattern, or a relationship with his father (whom he calls Walter as a signal to the audience) parallels Scully's invincible skepticism in the face of repeated personal experience.

Astrid does not suffer from the adolescent interests of the producers. For that reason she has an engaging, sexy persona that is vastly more interesting than the long suffering, multiply endangered, dream figure of Dunham. Her, you want to see more of. Olivia, you only want to see less clothing of. Despite this, she is a minor character. They ostentatiously introduced a religious FBI girl but she got unceremoniously dumped, unless the followup is ludicrously delayed.
Old November 29 2009, 05:12 AM   #42
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I wish Lance Reddick was on a better show
He's been on the various L&O shows a lot. Was pretty good in all of them.
Old November 29 2009, 06:25 AM   #43
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

^^
Huh? They're nothing like Mulder and Scully. I'm a massive X-Files fan (in real life I'm pretty much Fox Mulder) so I'd be furious if a show just copied them (like Bones did). They're their own characters.
Old November 29 2009, 08:09 PM   #44
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

No, IMO the show is too long. TOS Trek works because it was canceled in its Prime. I don't think JJ's style suits tv, he's more suited to movies not tv. I got through a season of a half of Lost and then cursed the show, his Alias was even worse. If Fringe interests you download a few of its best eps, the Arrival, Human Action, Fraction, the season pilot, the S1 finale...what ever gets 5 stars reviews or whatever ep is the top rated on the net. If it does not keep your attention then ditch it quick, life is too short to waste on bad tv. Personally I hate shows that drag on, most of them bored me to death and you can see how the writers trash shows, stretching them out trying to fit into that exclusive syndication club. The only long show I would recommend is Babylon 5 and that works because it has a really long complex series of story arcs and one of the best writers in the industry, DS9 works, its got the better actors, better fx but I think B5 was the shorter and sweeter package.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 08:54 PM   #45
Harvey
Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
^^
Huh? They're nothing like Mulder and Scully. I'm a massive X-Files fan (in real life I'm pretty much Fox Mulder) so I'd be furious if a show just copied them (like Bones did). They're their own characters.
Like I said up the thread, I haven't seen the show besides a few youtube clips (and some advertising on FOX). So my word isn't meant to be gospel, merely the impression I have based on that.