RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 567
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2009, 04:20 AM   #16
superstring01
Commander

Re: Is Fringe any good?

Is Fringe any good?
My favorite show.

~String
Old November 28 2009, 06:14 AM   #17
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
You can't give tell someone not to watch something because it sounds like you've never seen it.
My mistake, pardner... I thought the free expression of ideas was encouraged on this board. (It's not as though I concealed my ignorance of the show in question.)

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
You do realize that The Wire is a "cop procedural" show, right?
From what I've read (I haven't seen it yet, but I intend to), it gives more or less equal time across its several seasons to the cops, the criminals, the school system, the local government and the media. If so, while the "cop" sections might have procedural elements, that hardly makes puts the overall show in that genre. To be as much of a procedural as The Wire, then, Fringe would have to give more or less equal time to several different factions, which above posters say only happens from time to time. Or am I not adequately informed?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Okay.... you can express ideas but you can't say that Fringe is a bad show and that The Wire is a good show when you haven't seen either. That's just weird. No offense to you.
Old November 28 2009, 06:43 AM   #19
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Fringe is great and it's not going to get cancelled. It's the best performing show FOX has had in that timeslot in years. It'll be fine.
Old November 28 2009, 06:48 AM   #20
Gaith
Rear Admiral

None taken.

I didn't say Fringe wasn't good; it might be. I did, however, say that in structure (cop procedural with a guy and a gal) and genre (governmental paranormal investigations with conspiracy-laden story arcs) it gave every indication of being unoriginal.

(Btw: Fringe's Metacritic score: 67. The Wire's: 98. )
Old November 28 2009, 06:52 AM   #21
sidious618
Admiral

Fringe's overall mytharc is quite original, I think.
Old November 28 2009, 07:04 AM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Sure, a 98 for the incredibly acclaimed fourth season. You'll notice the lesser appreciated final season drops to an 89, and if the first season was listed it would be far lower. Many important critics panned The Wire during its first season.

Of course, Fringe still looks like an X-Files knock-off with a criminally wasted cast (Lance Reddick!) and no sense of mood to me. But I admit I haven't seen it at this point. Maybe if it lasts longer I'll give it a shot.

The Wire, in any event, is one of the finest television series ever made, if not the finest. It's not perfect (the second season could have been plotted better, and the final season suffers from a reduced episode order), but it's hard to beat.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 08:08 AM   #23
sidious618
Admiral

Yeah, a lot of people shunned The Wire during the first season.
Old November 28 2009, 08:35 AM   #24
Aragorn
Admiral

By that same standard, can you ridicule people who like Star Trek by saying that The Godfather is better?
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 08:49 AM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Star Trek (2009): 83.
The Godfather: 100.

As somebody who enjoyed both films, sounds about right.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 09:31 AM   #26
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I don't want to hijack the thread, and have said my peace. I don't like procedurals, and my distaste increases in direct proportion to their lack of realism. Well, okay, now I've said my peace.
Old November 28 2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I caught the pilot for Fringe when it first aired and was severely underimpressed, so I passed on it. Maybe it gets better, maybe I should give it another chance (alternate universes? Mr. Spock? Sounds good to me) but the initial impression wasn't favourable at all. There was also some rather moronic technobabbly reason for the female lead to strip to her underwear, which, er, yeah.

I don't want to hijack the thread, and have said my peace. I don't like procedurals, and my distaste increases in direct proportion to their lack of realism. Well, okay, now I've said my peace.
I don't like procedurals either, and Dexter is my favourite show on TV.

Weird. I do like the show less when it drifts away from the dark wit of being a serial killer, though.
Old November 28 2009, 04:48 PM   #28
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Dexter isn't a procedural.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 05:05 PM   #29
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Dexter isn't a procedural.
Well, cop shows then. I don't like cop shows, procedural or otherwise. Bore the hell out of me.
Old November 28 2009, 05:21 PM   #30
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Kegg wrote: View Post
I caught the pilot for Fringe when it first aired and was severely underimpressed, so I passed on it. Maybe it gets better, maybe I should give it another chance (alternate universes? Mr. Spock? Sounds good to me) but the initial impression wasn't favourable at all. There was also some rather moronic technobabbly reason for the female lead to strip to her underwear, which, er, yeah.
Tough to argue against the unimpressive beginning of the show, or with the technobabble expositions (which crop up more than they should). The show does get better, but its weakest aspects are the "cop procedural" elements. For me, the show generates just enough interest by way of its mythology and its characters (especially Walter) to justify calling it "entertaining." But I doubt Fringe will ever be mistaken as a great show like The Wire -- or even cutting edge like Dexter. It's possible, but Fringe will have to evolve quite a bit before that happens.