Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 28 2009, 04:17 AM   #46
superstring01
Commander

Re: Your worst injuries

Bloodwhiner wrote: View Post
DAMN STRING.... talk about a traumatic childhood!

I'd vote you the thread wiener.
LOL!

Note: There are actually OTHERS.

At age 9 I stepped on a metal spike that went in one foot and out the other.

Age 4 I fell down the stairs and landed on a glass "Jesus" candle (the Catholic variety) and sliced my arm open.

Age 24, after carrying a (small-ish female) friend home (yes, CARRYING) after her 21st birthday (I lived in Key West at that time), I managed to thrombose and totally explode an internal hemorrhoid which I didn't notice until halfway through my shift at work the next day (I was a bar tender). Thinking I just had a bad case of swamp-ass I kept working, until a friend noticed blood soaking through the ass crack of my shorts and a small trail of blood running down my leg. Thinking I was ten minutes from death, I called the ambulance and was rushed off to a VERY unpleasant and VERY embarrassing surgery (if you've ever had numerous instruments shoved up your asshole, then you understand my pain).

Age 30-present, various MRSA infections on my chin, back, head and arm (I have to be very vigilant).

Age 32, this past spring I was hack-sawing through a locked bolt on my secretary's spare tire (in her trunk, it was all rusted and wouldn't come loose. . . so I thought hack-saw was a good idea). While sawing, the saw skipped off the bolt and cut, rather efficiently, through the nail and soft tissue of my thumb, cutting directly in from the tip all the way to the bone. I think that hurt worse than pretty much anything. The med center just glued the wound shut and sent me home.

~String
Old November 28 2009, 04:29 AM   #47
O'Dib
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Riding a bike, one handed, while messing with a cell-phone shouldn't be something one has to "learn" not to do and be seen as a oversight.
Touche. Indeed, I'd say my pride definitely suffered most in this one. Brutal reminder of how stupid and absentminded I can be in traffic sometimes. I should get one those "Jesus is my copilot" bumper stickers. "See this part where there is only one pair of tire tracks? That's when I got off My bike to soften your facial landing."
Old November 28 2009, 06:44 AM   #48
Australis
Writer

"Go outside and kick a soccer ball with the kids", my wife said. "It won't hurt you!" she said.

I'd never had a broken leg (or broken anything else) before that day...

Last edited by Australis; November 28 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 06:48 AM   #49
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^How do you manage to break a leg playing ball with kids?

To amend my original post, I've had a few surgeries (quite a few actually), and I think cutting off a bit of one's earlobe and graphing it into the inner ear counts as injury. I was 12 and got morphine, though, so I didn't mind much.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 07:12 AM   #50
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

What was that intended to do?
Old November 28 2009, 07:19 AM   #51
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Patch a hole. It was the last of over 20 surgeries I had on my ears between the ages of 2 and 12 to return hearing, I was deaf as an infant and regained my hearing around age 4 after several operations.

View my art!
Old November 28 2009, 07:25 AM   #52
Australis
Writer

How do you manage to break a leg playing ball with kids?
We were just kicking the ball around, and I slipped, and two "thuds" resonated right through me from my leg. The pain was pretty intense and I couldn't walk on it, I went inside and rolled around the floor in pain, while my wife was on the phone, saying in a bored voice, "Yes, he's on the floor... seems to be in pain.. goodness knows what he's done now... <sigh>... I'd better see what he's done..." and similar noises of sympathy.

The hospital staff were amazed. The couldn't understand how I broke my leg just above the ankle and not rupture the ligaments there. Two clean breaks, that was it.

There's a funny sequel. Three weeks later, while still in plaster, No 1 son (11 at the time) ran down a rocky slope (I old him not to, often), fell, and sliced his knee open. At the Emergency Dept (we had a season ticket that year, went there 6-7 times), the cleaned it, sewed it up, wrapped it up... and gave him a pair of crutches.

Father and son, coming out into the waiting area, both on crutches. Oh, how the other waiting people smiled. She was not impressed. At all. I thought it was a classic family moment.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 07:30 AM   #53
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^That's great. Not the pain, but, you know.

That reminds me, I sprained my ankle a few times growing up, and I always loved going to school on crutches because everyone wanted to do everything for me. I also dislocated my thumb when I was 4. I don't remember how I did it, and nobody knows how I did it; in my confused child-mind I thought that I would get in trouble. I kept my hand in a fist for a week so that no one would know. My poor mother was so distressed when I told her how long it had been since I could move it! I remember having it popped back in and set, and that the doctor was wonderful.

View my art!
Old November 28 2009, 07:32 AM   #54
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I've been fairly injury free for the most part, except for a few little things. I once cut my thumb open when trying to fold a pocket knife closed... I wasn't paying attention and pushed on the wrong side of the knife. And I once accidentally brushed my arm by a mounted circ saw that was spinning at full speed. As it was it just nicked the very outer layer of skin and left a tiny red line... if my arm (which was flailing wildly) had been an inch or so over it would have been very messy. And painful.

None of this compares to the surgery accident when I had my tonsils out at the age of 6; I almost bled out internally whilst in recovery. Not sure if I'd call that an injury, though.
Old November 28 2009, 07:58 AM   #55
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^That's great. Not the pain, but, you know.

That reminds me, I sprained my ankle a few times growing up, and I always loved going to school on crutches because everyone wanted to do everything for me. I also dislocated my thumb when I was 4. I don't remember how I did it, and nobody knows how I did it; in my confused child-mind I thought that I would get in trouble. I kept my hand in a fist for a week so that no one would know. My poor mother was so distressed when I told her how long it had been since I could move it! I remember having it popped back in and set, and that the doctor was wonderful.
Oh my goodness...it's amazing the things that a kid will think of! You're just fortunate they were able to pop it back in after that!!

Speaking of crazy things a kid will think of...I remember when I was losing my baby teeth, I had this one tooth attached by just a thread and I was getting really sick and tired of twisting it around hoping it would break. It hurt and I was losing patience.

So, having read way too much about the human body, medicine, etc., I got the bright idea to grab my pair of Fiskars scissors (the ones with the rounded ends!!! ), go to the bathroom and clean them with antibacterial soap, and handle it like a surgeon. So, I went back to my room, and...SNIP. Problem solved, no postoperative infection, life was good and the tooth fairy had no idea I cheated!

I didn't tell my parents about that for years. The story only came out when later, my little cousin was in the car and started bleeding a lot from losing a tooth, and got REALLY distressed about it to where she was crying and frightened. For some reason, I decided that this crazy story would be the perfect distraction. I ended up telling my parents and every family member on my mother's side what I'd done.

The crazy thing was, nasty as this story was, it got my cousin's crying stopped real quick. She was too busy thinking her older cousin was crazy!
Old November 28 2009, 08:44 AM   #56
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh kids. It's funny how our brains worked back then. I got lost when I was five...I fell asleep on my little innertube at the beach and drifted out to sea. And instead of experiencing fear, worry, or any other appropriate emotion, I was horribly embarrassed about that incident for the longest time.

View my art!
Old November 28 2009, 08:53 AM   #57
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Probably multiple concussions that have gone undiagnosed...This and that. Nothing major...

Collapsed lung, dislocated jaw (for almost my entire life up until a few years ago...That one was painful), cracked wrist, a few stitches up near my eye, but nothing too big...
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 11:14 AM   #58
Bloodwhiner
Commodore

superstring01 wrote: View Post
DAMN STRING.... talk about a traumatic childhood!

I'd vote you the thread wiener.
LOL!

Note: There are actually OTHERS.

At age 9 I stepped on a metal spike that went in one foot and out the other.

Age 4 I fell down the stairs and landed on a glass "Jesus" candle (the Catholic variety) and sliced my arm open.

Age 24, after carrying a (small-ish female) friend home (yes, CARRYING) after her 21st birthday (I lived in Key West at that time), I managed to thrombose and totally explode an internal hemorrhoid which I didn't notice until halfway through my shift at work the next day (I was a bar tender). Thinking I just had a bad case of swamp-ass I kept working, until a friend noticed blood soaking through the ass crack of my shorts and a small trail of blood running down my leg. Thinking I was ten minutes from death, I called the ambulance and was rushed off to a VERY unpleasant and VERY embarrassing surgery (if you've ever had numerous instruments shoved up your asshole, then you understand my pain).

Age 30-present, various MRSA infections on my chin, back, head and arm (I have to be very vigilant).

Age 32, this past spring I was hack-sawing through a locked bolt on my secretary's spare tire (in her trunk, it was all rusted and wouldn't come loose. . . so I thought hack-saw was a good idea). While sawing, the saw skipped off the bolt and cut, rather efficiently, through the nail and soft tissue of my thumb, cutting directly in from the tip all the way to the bone. I think that hurt worse than pretty much anything. The med center just glued the wound shut and sent me home.

~String

I may have won the award in the worse single accident category but you have now definitely earned the lifetime achievement award for a gruesome body of work.
Bloodwhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 01:28 PM   #59
StolenThunder
Poster

Nothing much.

I stood on the stem and base of a broken wine glass once - much like Home Alone 2 it went through my shoe and into the ball of my foot. I required a GA the next day mostly because it was fiddly to get some remaining fragments out. No lasting damage beyond a toe that doesn't flex.

Otherwise just a moderate ankle sprain recently makes it onto my notable injury list.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 03:33 PM   #60
superstring01
Commander

I may have won the award in the worse single accident category but you have now definitely earned the lifetime achievement award for a gruesome body of work.
I think we had a VIP pass to the local ER when I was a kid!

My poor parents. Tallied up, I think they spent a full month in the ER waiting on me to get put back together.

~String