RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,887
Posts: 5,329,918
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 455
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 26 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

Linky

That is very welcome news. I have those single disc 'numbered' releases and it's very hard to find the episode you want.

I'm not sure how much an improvement Blu-Ray could mean with a 50-year-old series that's in black & white, but we'll see.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Kibbin
Fleet Captain
 
Kibbin's Avatar
 
Location: Nobody here.......
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

I would love to see them use Blu Ray tech to put more eps per disc and thus keep the price quite low comparativly speaking. I doubt there would be much cleaning up they could do.
__________________
"Insert something witty"
Kibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

The series (except for six episodes) was shot on 35mm. As such, it could benefit greatly from a high-definition transfer. And high-def transfers have already been made. They were the source of the more recent DVD season box sets.

If it's on Blu-Ray, I'm there. I already have The Prisoner, and am going to invest in Star Trek (1966) soon. With The Twilight Zone, it would mean owning the three most important science fiction series of the era on high def. And that would be pretty cool.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral
 
Captain Pike's Avatar
 
Location: It was an easy hack, you left the back-door open..
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

Damn.. Won't be getting it as I got the DVD box sets last year.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 12:17 AM   #5
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

As Harvey mentioned, from what I understand many of these older TV series that were shot on film would actually look far better on blu-ray than most shows from the 80s and 90s. While I enjoyed the Twilight Zone though, I don't think its the type of show that I would pick up on DVD
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Gojirob
Rear Admiral
 
Gojirob's Avatar
 
Location: Going Super Diclonius 4...
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

I got Gojira (sadly absent GKOTM w/Burr version) on BD, and it looked remarkably better, especially in the non-battle and aftermath scenes. I wonder how the handful of eps shot on video, like my Xmas fave 'Night Of The Meek' will handle the upgrade.
__________________
The Go-To For Accurate, Thorough Information about the dark, wonderful series called Elfen Lied, both manga and anime : http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Elfen_Lied_Wiki
Gojirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
23skidoo
Admiral
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

What's interesting is Twilight Zone is one of several shows I've heard cited as being "unreleasable" in HD without major alterations. The release of The Prisoner shows this to be hogwash. And I'm encouraged that they're releasing the shows full-frame and not with fake widescreening (don't get me started on that).

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the videotaped episodes. If they're able to include them, and make them watchable in HD (I've seen some Blu-Ray transfers of videotaped content that look like a 25-year-old VHS) then that bodes VERY well for the potential future BR release of other shot-on-video productions such as early Doctor Who, All in the Family, Ed Sullivan Show, etc. As long as Blu-Ray players remain backwards compatible with DVD this isn't an issue, but it's only a matter of time before a next generation format comes along that isn't, so the powers that be have until then to develop an acceptable workaround for shot-on-video and lower-quality film productions before we lose an immense amount of television history.

Alex

Last edited by 23skidoo; November 27 2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: deleted an error
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

TZ looks great on DVD on my PS3. I couldn't imagine it looking any better. Would be cool to see.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Abominable by Dan Simmons
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2009, 04:18 AM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

I'm excited abut this.
Two 40 year old TV shows 'Star Trek TOS' & 'The Prisoner' released on Blu-ray in 2009.

Now this announcement about the original 51-year old Twilight Zone on Blu-ray. The 2004 telecine transfers were done in HD from the original camera negative and as we know from TOS seasons 1-3 that telecine from the original camera negative preserves everything that was shot by the cinematographer.
This is how modern day TV shows are done anyway. Take CSI for example shot on 35mm film:
telecines the show's footage - they use Thomson's Spirit and Cintel's DSX -- to HDCam SR in 4:2:2 color space
from October 1, 2008 post magazine

If any older TV shows that were conformed on film are released on Blu-ray this is how they should be done.

I hope this can happen in the next 5 years :
Batman' 1966-68 live-action TV series wish for Blu-ray/DVD
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

Bump: Amazon now taking pre-orders for Season 1 of TZ on Blu-Ray. No street date yet though.

TVShowsOnDVD has an entry as well.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 02:07 PM   #11
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

23skidoo wrote: View Post
What's interesting is Twilight Zone is one of several shows I've heard cited as being "unreleasable" in HD without major alterations. The release of The Prisoner shows this to be hogwash. And I'm encouraged that they're releasing the shows full-frame and not with fake widescreening (don't get me started on that).

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the videotaped episodes. If they're able to include them, and make them watchable in HD (I've seen some Blu-Ray transfers of videotaped content that look like a 25-year-old VHS) then that bodes VERY well for the potential future BR release of other shot-on-video productions such as early Doctor Who, All in the Family, Ed Sullivan Show, etc. As long as Blu-Ray players remain backwards compatible with DVD this isn't an issue, but it's only a matter of time before a next generation format comes along that isn't, so the powers that be have until then to develop an acceptable workaround for shot-on-video and lower-quality film productions before we lose an immense amount of television history.

Alex
Really? I've never seen Twighlight Zone or The Prisoner included in a list of unreleasable Blu-Ray shows. If anything they are the shows that people said COULD be released on Blu-Ray. The shows that are nearly unreleasable in HD are the shows from the 80s-00s. Those are the shows that were worked on in video and have no hope of higher resolution without reverting to the originally shot negatives and re-editing the entire episode.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

I think the 80's Zone (which is my favorite out of all the versions) is the only one that can't be released on Blu-Ray. It was made 'on the cheap' to begin with, i.e. the aforementioned issue with videotape editing. And even the filmed footage is somewhat less than ideal. Oh well, at least the standard def DVDs will tide me over...

And the plot thickens: There will be a FOURTH VERSION OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE. Guess who's narrating this time? Jude Law. The pilot's been greenlit and will be out this year.

Yep, you read that right. A fourth TZ. Let's hope this will be better than the dreary 2002 version...
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 05:31 PM   #13
23skidoo
Admiral
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Really? I've never seen Twighlight Zone or The Prisoner included in a list of unreleasable Blu-Ray shows. If anything they are the shows that people said COULD be released on Blu-Ray. The shows that are nearly unreleasable in HD are the shows from the 80s-00s. Those are the shows that were worked on in video and have no hope of higher resolution without reverting to the originally shot negatives and re-editing the entire episode.
I've seen both. I also saw Trek TOS listed as unreleasable unless they farted around with the SFX which they did for TOS/R. And that show well predated the whole edit-on-video thing (and of course TOS ended up on Blu-Ray in its more-or-less original state, too). Anyway, the point remains moot so long as Blu-Ray remains backwards compatible with DVD. They're going to have to figure out a workaround (that doesn't involve remaking everything) by the time either Blu-Ray standards change and backwards compatibility is no longer allowed (sort of like what happened with PlayStation when they moved up the models, and also things like the move to Intel Core Duo Macs making it impossible to use most software from OS9 and earlier), or a new format comes along that is only HD (or, worse, only 3-D) compatible. They must come up with something, otherwise they're going to lose billions of dollars investment as 60 years worth of TV production becomes "lost culture".

As I say, the key remains whether or not the shot-on-video TZ episodes will be included in the Blu-Ray edition. If that happens, then IMO it opens the door for a lot of video-related material to be released in high-def, from old-school Doctor Who to All in the Family ...

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 07:21 PM   #14
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

23skidoo wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post
Really? I've never seen Twighlight Zone or The Prisoner included in a list of unreleasable Blu-Ray shows. If anything they are the shows that people said COULD be released on Blu-Ray. The shows that are nearly unreleasable in HD are the shows from the 80s-00s. Those are the shows that were worked on in video and have no hope of higher resolution without reverting to the originally shot negatives and re-editing the entire episode.
I've seen both. I also saw Trek TOS listed as unreleasable unless they farted around with the SFX which they did for TOS/R. And that show well predated the whole edit-on-video thing (and of course TOS ended up on Blu-Ray in its more-or-less original state, too). Anyway, the point remains moot so long as Blu-Ray remains backwards compatible with DVD. They're going to have to figure out a workaround (that doesn't involve remaking everything) by the time either Blu-Ray standards change and backwards compatibility is no longer allowed (sort of like what happened with PlayStation when they moved up the models, and also things like the move to Intel Core Duo Macs making it impossible to use most software from OS9 and earlier), or a new format comes along that is only HD (or, worse, only 3-D) compatible. They must come up with something, otherwise they're going to lose billions of dollars investment as 60 years worth of TV production becomes "lost culture".

As I say, the key remains whether or not the shot-on-video TZ episodes will be included in the Blu-Ray edition. If that happens, then IMO it opens the door for a lot of video-related material to be released in high-def, from old-school Doctor Who to All in the Family ...

Alex
Well BBC is already releasing The Next Doctor on Blu Ray even though it was not filmed in HD. But they're only releasing it so they can release a complete set on Blu Ray. I suspect something similar will be done with TZ. They'll upscale the couple video episodes to keep the set complete, but they will look no better than what your TV/DVD/BR player would do with the DVD version.

But it will still say nothing about what other old shows are released in Blu Ray. You could upscale TNG for example and release a Blu Ray set. But the image would look no different than what you get from your DVD now. The only shows that will see the effort to convert are shows where you will be able to see a difference. That's also why converting shows is not a moot point right now. If a show can be redone and released in higher quality I want to see it now, I don't care about a debate on format support and if my Blu Ray player will support the old DVD version.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Twilight Zone may arrive on Blu Ray

The TZ videotaped episodes will probably be included, but only upconverted from SD (i.e. not in "real" high definition). This is what happened with DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" when it was on the TOS blu-ray set. The DS9 ep was not in HD, it was just upconverted.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blu-ray, the twilight zone

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.