Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 22 2009, 02:25 AM   #1
Bob Blusoe
Cadet

New Fan Collective????

Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anybody had any info regarding new fan collectives. As a fan who isn't insanley rich, I like these collections a lot. I'd love to see a collection with the finales and pilots of all the shows, or ones that focus on certain shows, (like a REAL best of the next generation with like 4 or 5 discs.) anyone know of any development regarding new fan collectives?
Bob Blusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 03:21 AM   #2
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: New Fan Collective????

I don't believe that there are any additional Fan Collective DVDs planned. There was rumor that a Romulan Collective was under works but I don't think that it panned out. There are BEST OF compilation DVDs being released (the most recent was last Tuesday with releases for TOS and TNG).

If you look around though you can find some season box sets for the same price as the Fan Collective DVDs. I recently found Seasons 1 - 3 of TNG at Wal-Mart for $15.00 each.
Old November 23 2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Bob Blusoe
Cadet

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I don't believe that there are any additional Fan Collective DVDs planned. There was rumor that a Romulan Collective was under works but I don't think that it panned out. There are BEST OF compilation DVDs being released (the most recent was last Tuesday with releases for TOS and TNG).

If you look around though you can find some season box sets for the same price as the Fan Collective DVDs. I recently found Seasons 1 - 3 of TNG at Wal-Mart for $15.00 each.
Too bad a Romulan one would have been nice. but thanks for the info. I'm not too happy with the best of releases since theyre only one disc but maybe ill check at my walmart to see.
Bob Blusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 06:59 AM   #4
gupeter
Ensign

Circuit City is out of business so Best Buy nationwide has jacked up prices... they have no real competion.

But for many many years it has always been that if you want to buy whatever movies Walmart is the place to go.
gupeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2009, 01:13 AM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

A Romulan set would have been cool, especially since the current Fan Collectives don't have very many Romulan episodes. Balance of Terror and The Enterprise Incident are on the Captain's Log set, but I think that's it. So there wouldn't be much double-dipping. In fact, if they stuck the remastered versions of those episodes on the set, there'd be no real double-dipping.
Old November 24 2009, 08:26 AM   #6
B.C.
Lieutenant

$15 each?! Nice find! How long ago was this?

B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

The episodes on past Fan Collectives were all voted for on startrek.com... Sad to see the state that site is currently in.

I would suggest a Vulcans & Romulans set. The 10 best efforts featuring the Star Empire and some logically connected stories:

Disc One - Vulcans
ENT The Forge/Awakening/Kir'Shara
TOS Amok Time
extra feature: TAS Yesteryear

Disc Two - Vulcans
TOS Journey to Babel
TNG Sarek, Unification Part I & II

Disc Three - Romulans
ENT Babel One/United/The Aenar
TOS Balance of Terror

Disc Four - Romulans
TOS The Enterprise Incident
TNG The Enemy, The Defector, Face of the Enemy

Disc Five - Romulans
DS9 In the Pale Moonlight, Inter Arma Silent Leges
VOY Eye of the Needle, Message in a Bottle
Old November 24 2009, 04:09 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
The episodes on past Fan Collectives were all voted for on startrek.com... Sad to see the state that site is currently in.

I would suggest a Vulcans & Romulans set. The 10 best efforts featuring the Star Empire and some logically connected stories:

Disc One - Vulcans
ENT The Forge/Awakening/Kir'Shara
TOS Amok Time
extra feature: TAS Yesteryear

Disc Two - Vulcans
TOS Journey to Babel
TNG Sarek, Unification Part I & II

Disc Three - Romulans
ENT Babel One/United/The Aenar
TOS Balance of Terror

Disc Four - Romulans
TOS The Enterprise Incident
TNG The Enemy, The Defector, Face of the Enemy

Disc Five - Romulans
DS9 In the Pale Moonlight, Inter Arma Silent Leges
VOY Eye of the Needle, Message in a Bottle
Actually, that would make for a pretty good set.
Old November 24 2009, 04:44 PM   #9
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Actually, that would make for a pretty good set.
Cheers. I actually wanted include Enterprise's Minefield (canon violation and all), preferring that to Voyager's Eye of the Needle. It's tough to leave episodes off but it's trade-off between DVD disc space (200 min limit with a featurette) and how many dedicated stories Romulans had in each series.

Would there be enough episodes for Vulcans to have a dedicated set, I wonder? Maybe if you extend the theme to centre on the best Spock, Tuvok & T'Pol stories.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; November 24 2009 at 04:59 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

gupeter wrote: View Post
Circuit City is out of business so Best Buy nationwide has jacked up prices... they have no real competion.

But for many many years it has always been that if you want to buy whatever movies Walmart is the place to go.
Circuit City is still alive as an online retailer.
Old November 25 2009, 02:54 PM   #11
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Bob Blusoe wrote: View Post
As a fan who isn't insanley rich, I like these collections a lot.
Well, I'm not exactly loaded either... but I do tend to focus on buying Star Trek DVDs more than most other merchandise, often all over again too knowing my track record. First starting in the days of VHS and now seriously interested in getting TOS and the films on Blu-ray.

I'd love to see a collection with the finales and pilots of all the shows... <snip>
That's another collection choice, I would've preferred to those single disc 'Best of' TOS & TNG volumes CBS seem to be focusing on.

Disc One
TOS The Cage
TOS Where No Man Has Gone Before (Unaired 2nd Pilot version)
TOS The Man Trap (Premiere)
TAS Beyond the Farthest Star (Premiere)
TAS The Counter-Clock Incident

Disc Two
TNG Encounter at Farpoint
TNG All Good Things...

Disc Three
DS9 Emissary
DS9 What We Leave Behind

Disc Four
VOY Caretaker
VOY Endgame

Disc Five
ENT Broken Bow
ENT Demons/Terra Prime

Turnabout Intruder and These are the Voyages... I would leave off, with both already on the previous two sets.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; November 25 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old November 25 2009, 03:59 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Encounter At Farpoint, What You Leave Behind, and Broken Bow have also been on previous sets (Q, Captain's Log, and Klingon, respectively).

Endgame has alerady been on two sets, Borg and Time Travel.
Old November 26 2009, 02:22 AM   #13
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Fair enough. Endgame would become triple dipping with a Pilots/Finales set. Double for those others.

I think they missed a decent opportunity with a Romulan/Vulcan pick, especially the way Star Trek 2009 turned out. But perhaps it's best not to be reminded about bridges that were burnt...
Old November 26 2009, 06:52 AM   #14
nx1701g
Admiral

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
gupeter wrote: View Post

Circuit City is still alive as an online retailer.
I read somewhere that they are considering reopening some stores as well.

B.C. wrote: View Post

$15 each?! Nice find! How long ago was this?
I bought them last week. It was exactly one week prior to Trek XI coming to DVD.
Old November 26 2009, 07:46 PM   #15
apenpaap
Commodore

I'd like to see the Vulcan/Romulan fan collective, but a Cardassian fan collective even more. Though I doubt they'd do that, as it would mean four discs of DS9 and one of TNG and Voyager.