RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 400
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 7 2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Re: VOY Greatest Contributions

1. Kes

2. The other main characters

3. The premise for the show

4. Seska and Culluh

5. Henry Starling

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at a new location soon!
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2009, 08:26 PM   #17
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

In my opinion, Voyager's greatest (?!) contribution was in poorly written stories that took Star Trek far enough off the rails that no more really good Trek could be made without a semi-reboot of the franchise. Which resulted in the excellent movie earlier this year.

So, um, right on, Voyager! Yeah....

I did kinda like the Voth, Species 8472 (before the writers immediately turned around and neutered them), the concept of the EMH, and the design of the Delta Flyer.
Old November 7 2009, 09:18 PM   #18
ChaosAngel
Commander

View ChaosAngel's Twitter Profile

seven, the doctor and cookin that makes me appreciate rice and sausage gruel. oh and female coffee-addict captain
Old November 7 2009, 09:38 PM   #19
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

USS_Triumphant wrote: View Post
In my opinion, Voyager's greatest (?!) contribution was in poorly written stories that took Star Trek far enough off the rails that no more really good Trek could be made without a semi-reboot of the franchise. Which resulted in the excellent movie earlier this year.

Ha! Not sure I would say greatest, but I can't in good conscience completely disagree.

As for what I do think VOY's greatest contributions are:

-the doctor. Picardo was a god among men in that cast.

Species 8472 (before the writers immediately turned around and neutered them)
-Uh...I'm sure there are others. I WOULD say a female captain TV show lead, but she was kind of a pretty bad character ultimately. She could be a delusional loony, an idiot, a brilliant leader, a badass, etc....depending what writer was onboard and what the script required. Every episode was a damned roulette. Will Janeway be crazy? Stupid? Cool? Place your bets!
Old November 8 2009, 12:01 AM   #20
Robin_Hiert
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was inspired by the Equinox and her Captain Ransom.

And of course the show has some great characters and actors.
Old November 8 2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Kai Winn
Captain

I did kinda like the Voth, Species 8472 (before the writers immediately turned around and neutered them), the concept of the EMH, and the design of the Delta Flyer.
true, voyager is the culmination, and completion of star trek. four franchises about exploration, one about politics and war that felt a lot like stargate. three of the exploration storylines with the always same aliens and adversaries, klingons, romulans, etc, and about the expansion of the federation. voyagers story arch was the most ambitious, the aliens truly alien, and it's crew the best. after the completion, the prequel just couldn't work, so they had a go with a star trek parody, star trek 11.
Kai Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Wicca who Wonta
Vice Admiral

AuntKate wrote: View Post
Perhaps I should clarify--a female captain as the star of the show.
Agreed!

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
janeway. the warmth and heart which i missed in th other franchises.
Agreed! This is why Janeway was such a great captain. She could kick ass but the writers still allowed her to be and act like a woman.

- Klingons were cooler in Voy than in the other series.

- Seven of Nine

- Engineering
Wicca who Wonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Voyagerian
Commander

Well, you don't need a mind-meld to guess I'll go down on record saying the series was a worthy successor whch carried the ideals of exploration as seen in TOS-and, as stated previous here, in a whole new arena, fresh to examine, the Delta Quadrant. Some have labelled it 'Trek light' or somesuch, but I disagree. And Kate ROCKED ,to use a younger folk's vernacular, as Kathryn Janeway, my second fave female ST character in all of Trek. She carried the show, as her alterego did...I can think of no better actress to play her. They also did so well in displaying the Family they soon became-and endearing them to me from the getgo....
Voyagerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 06:15 PM   #24
kimc
Coffee Mod

Like every other Trek show there were some well-written stories along with some not so well-written ones. You're also forgetting Voyager was followed by Enterprise.

Reboots are a fashion in Hollywood now thanks in part to the success of nuBSG. The idea that Voyager contributed one way or another to a Trek reboot just doesn't hold water, imo.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2009, 08:52 PM   #25
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
You're also forgetting Voyager was followed by Enterprise.
No, I'm not. The first three seasons of Enterprise may as well have just been a continuation of the shoddy writing of Voyager - and by the time Coto started turning the show around, into something a Trek fan could really enjoy and be proud of, it was too late.

Reboots are a trend, you're right - but generally only when the source material can't be worked with anymore. Hollywood loves sequels, too. But the TOS crew that is still alive is too old, the TNG crew is done (in more than one way), it would be hard to make a movie - with all of the stars - pick up from the way DS9 ended, and Enterprise ended with its stupid "valentine to the fans". So that would leave Voyager to make movies from, and I just can't see that happening. Can you? I don't mean, "can you imagine a plot?" I mean, can you see people going to see it?
Old November 10 2009, 12:05 AM   #26
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
THE DOCTOR. in capital letters because no one tops him.
It's just too bad he shares a name with a far more badass British time-traveler...

Wicca who Wonta wrote: View Post
- Klingons were cooler in Voy than in the other series.
Kang, Kor, Koloth, and General Martok are not amused.
Old November 10 2009, 03:03 AM   #27
kimc
Coffee Mod

But the TOS crew that is still alive is too old,
That right there is the reason for the TOS reboot. The writing on Voyager, shoddy or otherwise doesn't enter into it.

As for comparing Voyager's writing with Enterprise I can't really say. Once I realized Porthos was my favorite character a few episodes in I gave up on it. As for Voyager, again like any other Trek incarnation some of it was bad but most of it was good.

So that would leave Voyager to make movies from, and I just can't see that happening. Can you? I don't mean, "can you imagine a plot?" I mean, can you see people going to see it?
As long as the title contains "Star Trek" someone is going to see it. Add to that the number of Voyager fans and you could do worse. However, I can't see a movie since the story of returning home is basically done. I can see Voyager characters popping up in future movies though.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 07:06 AM   #28
freak
Commodore

Let's see..positive contributions to Voyager:

1) Casting a female to play the lead role of Janeway..RIGHT ON!
2) And exciting cast-that's what made the show what it was!!!
3) A starship that can actually land with landing struts! Who'd thunk it?!
4) The Vadwar..loved that race!
5) the Kazon-although they only stayed for about three seasons of the show..they were still very entertaining to watch! Good Trek villians-wished they had been kept longer!
6) The Vidiians
Things I could have done without:
1) Leola Root-good lord talk about major yuck fest!
2) The Borg-I know I know..the fans will slap me here..but didn't particularly care for their assimilation techiniques, thank you very much!
3) Fairhaven=good lord pass me a bucket!
Old November 25 2009, 08:03 PM   #29
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Casting Kate Mulgrew as Captain Janeway, and Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres, Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine, and Susanna Thompson as the BORG Queen. Oh, and finding a race which scares the you know what out of the BORG!
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 06:52 AM   #30
Klaitu
Commodore

An interesting question! I'm going to assume that you mean positive contributions, as Voyager's negative contributions would be a list a mile long.

1. Departing from the Saucer/Nacelle Enterprise style while remaining distictively starfleet.

2. Technical improvements in special effects and on screen displays, notably in astrometrics.

3. Starship planetary landing

4. the Midas Array

5. Further reinforcing the awesome "all good things" future uniform. (too bad Star Trek Online ignored it)
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Klaitu is offline   Reply With Quote