Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 24 2009, 04:14 PM   #31
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Shatnerverse

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Flying cars are a very bad idea unless they're computer-controlled. People have enough traffic accidents in two dimensions. And if a normal car breaks down, you can just pull over to the side of the road, rather than falling to a grisly death.
I totally agree. I couldn't sleep at night without the thought that one of them might come crashing out of the sky into my house.
It would be a terrorist's wet dream if they ever became a reality.

However this is Star Trek where people are generally good people..on Earth at least. Only have to worry about someone warping a ship into the planet....
Old November 24 2009, 05:00 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

Saul wrote: View Post
Not so much, because it's nothing they couldn't already do with a small plane. And if I correctly recall the chatter following 9/11, small planes can only do limited amounts of damage.

However this is Star Trek where people are generally good people..on Earth at least. Only have to worry about someone warping a ship into the planet....
Warp isn't the problem, since it doesn't represent a realspace velocity. High impulse is the problem. A runabout-sized ship hitting at half the speed of light would be an extinction-level event. A drunk driver could destroy a civilization. Which is why any spacefaring planet would need a very robust planetary defense grid -- and extremely strict enforcement of in-system traffic laws.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2009, 09:25 PM   #33
flandry84
Captain

Personally I love the Shatnerverse and get rather annoyed with the sniffy attitude shown toward these books.

The Reeves-Stevens' are among the very few Treklit authors willing to toss in random Trek references/tech and make it seem unforced.
And refreshingly,with plot devices like Project:Sign and the SI-owned Defiant class ship,Starfleet is portrayed as being a little proactive.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2009, 04:09 AM   #34
Jbarney
Commander

I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the Shatnerverse books. I have not read all of them, just the first six. The stories involved are on the grand side of things, which sets them a part from the main continuity.

Which is actually one of my problems with them. I think it would have been much better for Pocket to market them as happening in a different continuity. It would have saved a lot of fans internet arguments/perspective differences if readers were given some indication from the start that the books were not designed to go with the main group of books unfolding in the 24th century.

Not saying a bright neon sign would have been needed in every book store that sold the Shatner books either, but better marketing (from the start) about Shatnerverse being different would have been cleaner.

They are worth reading.
Old November 26 2009, 02:52 AM   #35
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I like the Shatnerverse. It is goofy fun, although the Mirror Universe trilogy was a bit convoluted and the Totality trilogy was very poorly put together. However, Collision Course was pretty good. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a follow-up coming anytime soon.

KHAAAN! wrote: View Post
I was very unhappy (like a lot of people) and not satisfied with the way that Ron Moore ended with Kirk in Generations.
Whoa! I think I entered the Bizarro World.
Old November 26 2009, 05:36 AM   #36
D Man
Commodore

I loved the mirror universe trilogy, I've re-read it a bunch of times. All the stuff with the conspiracies and mysterious happenings was great. I also like how the books tend to have Kirk and Picard sort of at odds with each other; it's more interesting than having them Team Up To Save The Galaxy. All the books are over-the-top fun, and the only one I didn't really like was the 2nd Totality book, with Kirk and an ancient McCoy running around on Remus. A bit much, I think.
Old November 27 2009, 01:34 PM   #37
F. King Daniel
Admiral

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
In my opinion, the Shatnerverse books are Mary Sue fanfic written by someone who actually portrayed a beloved character. The Kirk in those stories makes Chuck Norris look like Tinkerbell. They're what a Michael Bay Star Trek movie would look like, if Bay had a hardon for William Shatner instead of the US military.
Although Iím anti-Shat in STXII, I would *love* to see a Michael Bay-directed huge-budget Shatnerverse movie. It would be truly terrible, yet truly awesome at the same time. The mind boggles at the sort of things that would happen

About the Shatnerverse and regular TrekLit: Iím not so sure there is much in the way of irreconcilable contradictions between them (although I havenít read everything, I think the biggest problem spot is the mirror universe) Ė I always thought of it more as they just never EVER mention that Kirk is up and about in the 24th century in any of the other books. If there are contradictions, they donít seem as noticeable as those between current Trek and say, the Rihannsu books or The Final Reflection, and elements of those (and other old books) crop up time and again.

Silly Shatnerverse speculation: Couldnít the ancient building on The Returnís Borg homeworld (in the Delta quadrant), with its big engraved metal doors be a remnant of the crashed Caeliar city that begat the Borg in Destiny? The Borg would have eventually Borgified the whole planet, but maybe they kept what was left of the original city as a monument to the perfection to which the Borg strive (and put a giant Lever of Death right next to it)
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 02:36 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
About the Shatnerverse and regular TrekLit: I’m not so sure there is much in the way of irreconcilable contradictions between them (although I haven’t read everything, I think the biggest problem spot is the mirror universe) – I always thought of it more as they just never EVER mention that Kirk is up and about in the 24th century in any of the other books.
There are major contradictions between the Totality trilogy (the Captain's _____ books) and the main novel continuity (hereinafter MNC). In the Shatnerverse, Bajor is not yet a UFP member in 2378, while in the MNC it joined in 2376. The Shatnerverse starship Titan spends 2380 participating in Romulan reconstruction post-Nemesis and doesn't have its first encounter with a new alien species until 2381, whereas the MNC Titan spends much less time at Romulus and has its initial first contact in March 2380. The Shatnerverse Doctor/EMH is in the Alpha Quadrant in mid-2381, whereas the MNC Doctor is aboard the Galen in the Delta Quadrant at the time. Most significantly, the Shatnerverse Kathryn Janeway is still alive and well in 2381, a year after her death in the MNC.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 03:06 PM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Desert Kris wrote: View Post
I read Ashes of Eden and was entertained and delighted by it. It could, arguable, be slotted in with the rest of canon without being classified as "shatnerverse."
It was.

It was only when several of the Pocket novelists stated that they'd be ignoring the resurrection of Kirk (in "The Return") in their books, if Kirk was going to be referenced, that someone coined a name for Shatner's series.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2009, 01:35 PM   #40
F. King Daniel
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
About the Shatnerverse and regular TrekLit: Iím not so sure there is much in the way of irreconcilable contradictions between them (although I havenít read everything, I think the biggest problem spot is the mirror universe) Ė I always thought of it more as they just never EVER mention that Kirk is up and about in the 24th century in any of the other books.
There are major contradictions between the Totality trilogy (the Captain's _____ books) and the main novel continuity (hereinafter MNC). In the Shatnerverse, Bajor is not yet a UFP member in 2378, while in the MNC it joined in 2376. The Shatnerverse starship Titan spends 2380 participating in Romulan reconstruction post-Nemesis and doesn't have its first encounter with a new alien species until 2381, whereas the MNC Titan spends much less time at Romulus and has its initial first contact in March 2380. The Shatnerverse Doctor/EMH is in the Alpha Quadrant in mid-2381, whereas the MNC Doctor is aboard the Galen in the Delta Quadrant at the time. Most significantly, the Shatnerverse Kathryn Janeway is still alive and well in 2381, a year after her death in the MNC.
Ah.

I stand corrected.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 03:26 AM   #41
Saul
Rear Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
Not so much, because it's nothing they couldn't already do with a small plane. And if I correctly recall the chatter following 9/11, small planes can only do limited amounts of damage.
Unless those planes were packed with explosives like a truck bomb. They might do small damage but they could possibly be far easier to get access to and use compared to planes.
Old December 1 2009, 05:09 AM   #42
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post

It's interesting that the only characters we seem to want from a Trek actor is the character he/she played. When did Nichelle Nichols write a Spock novel? Or George Takei do a Kirk comic? The only one I can think of is Walter Koenig writing an animated episode called "The Ultimate Vulcan."
Sorry for coming late to this particular point... but Wil Wheaton also scripted a TOS manga story in Tokyopop's second collection.

And given his current writing career and adulthood take on TNG, is there anyone who wouldn't absolutely love to see Wheaton pen a Wesley Crusher novel??
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 07:27 AM   #43
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Most significantly, the Shatnerverse Kathryn Janeway is still alive and well in 2381, a year after her death in the MNC.
Clearly, she got better.

Old December 2 2009, 04:49 AM   #44
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Most significantly, the Shatnerverse Kathryn Janeway is still alive and well in 2381, a year after her death in the MNC.
Clearly, she got better.

I can't imagine her getting any better than being dead.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 04:58 AM   #45
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

seigezunt wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Clearly, she got better.

I can't imagine her getting any better than being dead.
Oweeeee!
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote