Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2009, 06:54 AM   #16
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: The Twilight Saga: New Moon Discussion

I find it interesting that the general population is seemingly treating a girl's reaction to these movies like a no big deal when compared to a fan reaction to Star Trek.

Girl's reaction to Twilight: "OMG!! Bestest movie ever!"
General Population: "I'm glad that you liked it."

Fan's reaction to Star Trek movie: "OMG! Fucking awesome!"
General Population: "Haha...nerd."
Old November 21 2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I've been bombarded all day with "New moon" talk on tv

Pattinson on Ellen

"See Pattinson's first screen test!!!!"

"New Moon" hour long segment on E!

"New Moon" actor on Leno
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 08:32 AM   #18
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

This isn't exactly my type of movie, but I have three teenaged nieces who are big fans of the series. I saw Twilight on DVD and thought the story was vapid, mediocre at best. I hear this movie is supposed to be darker, sexier, funnier, and LONGER. Boy, that Taylor guy is cute, though. Can't wait 'til he turns 18.
Old November 21 2009, 05:24 PM   #19
Phillip Culley
Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Any fans of this series like the stupid movie title? It's like X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
I'm not a fan and I find it ridiculous - as if there's anyone who's going to see it and doesn't know it's the sequel to Twilight....

At least X-Men Origins makes the point that it's a prequel rather than a sequel (but then again Underworld 3 didn't need it).
Phillip Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 10:32 PM   #20
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
New Moon breaks the midnight opening record.

The "Twilight" fans have done it... The Twilight Saga: New Moon set a new midnight opening record with $26.27 million from 3,514 theaters last night! That surpasses the opening nights of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($22.2 million) and The Dark Knight ($18.4 million). Will "New Moon" be able to pass up "Dark Knight's" $67.1 million single day record? Stay tuned for more box office results as they come in...
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61077

I will be seeing this in the next few hours. I hope the fangirls in my audience behave.
And now it's surpassed The Dark Knight's opening day record: New Moon made $72.7 million on Friday. TDK's opening day take was $67.2 million.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 10:49 PM   #21
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I have three teenaged nieces who are crazy about the series. It's not exactly my kind of movie. I saw Twilight on DVD and thought the story was vapid, mediocre at best. I gotta say, that Taylor guy is cute. Can't wait 'til he turns 18
Old November 22 2009, 01:03 AM   #22
Blue_Trek
Captain

Daneel wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
New Moon breaks the midnight opening record.

The "Twilight" fans have done it... The Twilight Saga: New Moon set a new midnight opening record with $26.27 million from 3,514 theaters last night! That surpasses the opening nights of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($22.2 million) and The Dark Knight ($18.4 million). Will "New Moon" be able to pass up "Dark Knight's" $67.1 million single day record? Stay tuned for more box office results as they come in...
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61077

I will be seeing this in the next few hours. I hope the fangirls in my audience behave.
And now it's surpassed The Dark Knight's opening day record: New Moon made $72.7 million on Friday. TDK's opening day take was $67.2 million.
Thus the true power of teenage girls and there money is fully realized. And it is a powerhouse, but I expect this movie to be very front loaded with no legs.
Old November 22 2009, 01:48 AM   #23
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

The only good things about the first were Ashley Greene and the Rifftrax they made of it.

Such are the only reasons I don't curse the existence of the second.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 03:46 PM   #24
MNM
Captain

I got coerced into seeing it on friday, and my considered review is thus:

It is annoyingly crap, full of terrible teenage "angst", and it's plot and dialogue make Harry Potter look complex and well written.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 07:29 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

I saw New Moon. It was okay. I liked it better than the first movie. They got rid of the blue tint which I found very distracting in Twilight. The first movie felt too much like an indie film so I was glad they got a bigger budget. The fans deserve that at least for making the movie a hit.

I could care less about the Bella and Edward romance but at least this movie had much more of a plot compared to the first movie. The writers thankfully didn't make it too serious and gave the characters several funny lines to say throughout the whole thing. All the Italy stuff was great and felt like mini movie. Michael Sheen seemed to be having loads of fun playing the head evil vamp. I liked the actor that played Jacob. The werewolves were actually pretty cool. Many people laughed at Alice's vision of Bella's future. It was so over the top. I find it amusing that this is going to become the biggest vampire move ever.

This movie needed much more Alice. Ashley Greene is hot. I want her to get her own spinoff.
Old November 23 2009, 12:23 AM   #26
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

^I did like her, Carslile & the vamp guy who is married to the blonde...I also liked Jacob's werewolf buddies, (& no not just b/c theyre always shirtless.) They actually seem more interesting than boring Edward and Bella...

was that really Dakota Fanning as the blonde vamp from the council? Didnt recognize her at all!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 01:36 AM   #27
Daneel
Rear Admiral

More numbers are in. First the good news: New Moon did not beat the Dark Knight's opening weekend record ($158,411,483). Now the "meh" news: it also didn't beat Spider-Man 3's opening weekend total ($151,116,516). It did take the #3 spot on the list away from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, however, by making an estimated $140,700,000 over the weekend.

Worldwide, it ranks as the 7th-best opening ever with an estimate of $258,800,000.

As for me, I'm still not planning to ever see it.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 05:37 AM   #28
Dream
Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
^I did like her, Carslile & the vamp guy who is married to the blonde...I also liked Jacob's werewolf buddies, (& no not just b/c theyre always shirtless.) They actually seem more interesting than boring Edward and Bella...
I think Cullen family is interesting. Much more background is given to them in the books though. Two of them are suppose to get flashbacks in the next movie.

The werewolf friends were good. They really seem like actual friends. They probably got to hang out and get to know each other before they started filming.

was that really Dakota Fanning as the blonde vamp from the council? Didnt recognize her at all!
Yes, that was her. I don't know why some people made such a big deal about her being in it. Dakota was only onscreen for two minutes. Michael Sheen did all the talking. I thought it was neat how Michael Sheen has now played a werewolf in Underworld and now vamp in Twilight.
Old November 23 2009, 07:21 AM   #29
Joy
Commodore

When reading the Twilight series, I had flashbacks to when I was reading the Eragon books (which I only made it through the first two and only part of the third)..... Both Meyer and Paolini's best work involve their secondary characters.

If Paolini had just written Roran's story, and if Meyer had instead focused on Carlisle's backstory, we may just have had books that were actually WORTHY of the popularity they attained.

As it were, both series are utter drivel, with a few shining moments that come solely from the poor secondary characters whose stories these books SHOULD have been.

Joy
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 04:27 PM   #30
MNM
Captain

Found this interesting overview of the Twilight series:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-36-twilight/

Much more enjoyable to read than the film was to watch.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote