MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 23 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
KHAAAN!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shatnerverse

I am new here, so forgive me if this is covered in another post.

I'm currently re-reading all of the "shatnerverse" novels and I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments on the series.

I read them a long time ago and listening to them now (I have them on audiobook as well), I'm finding the writing just a tad corny, even though past books by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens have been great. (I'm thinking of Federation to specific) Maybe it's just the one I'm on (Avenger). I really loved them when they first came out and devoured them as quick as they came out.

I also really enjoyed the new book Collision Course, even though the new movie sort of made it moot. (But as a the shatnerverse goes that doesn't really matter) I'm really excited for follow up books.

Anyway, I just wanted to discuss this somewhere, so dish it out good or bad.
KHAAAN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 06:49 AM   #2
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Re: Shatnerverse

I gave up on the series after Spectre. Actually I'm not even sure I finished that, but anyway I only read them once and haven't felt motivated to finish the series. Just got tired of what seemed to be a Shatner ego trip.
Ashes of Eden wasn't too bad, but I don't remember enough right now to comment much on it.
Old November 23 2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I think my favorite of the lot was Specter. Both Dark Victory and Preserver felt a bit empty in comparison, and the "Captain's" trilogy just didn't click all that well.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
KHAAAN!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

T'Ressa Dax wrote: View Post
I gave up on the series after Spectre. Actually I'm not even sure I finished that, but anyway I only read them once and haven't felt motivated to finish the series. Just got tired of what seemed to be a Shatner ego trip.
Ashes of Eden wasn't too bad, but I don't remember enough right now to comment much on it.
That's what I felt like too. It really started to seem like a big ego trip. I really always like The Return, which was after Ashes of Eden because I always craved more Borg plotlines back then, but reading it now kind of feels like a let down considering all the territory covered by Voyager and First Contact.

Although I would like to point out that IDW's Nero series has connected V'Ger to the Narada (which had Borg technology).

The whole V'Ger story ended up being a major part of the endgame in The Return.
Old November 23 2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

KHAAAN! wrote: View Post

I'm currently re-reading all of the "shatnerverse" novels and I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments on the series.

I read them a long time ago and listening to them now (I have them on audiobook as well), I'm finding the writing just a tad corny, even though past books by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens have been great. (I'm thinking of Federation to specific) Maybe it's just the one I'm on (Avenger). I really loved them when they first came out and devoured them as quick as they came out.

I also really enjoyed the new book Collision Course, even though the new movie sort of made it moot. (But as a the shatnerverse goes that doesn't really matter) I'm really excited for follow up books.

I too liked the Shatnerverse, particularly when Shatner did the audio books. My all-time favorite was "The Ashes of Eden," but I liked them all. I was sorry to see the series end, but I enjoyed them while I had them.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
KHAAAN!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
KHAAAN! wrote: View Post

I too liked the Shatnerverse, particularly when Shatner did the audio books. My all-time favorite was "The Ashes of Eden," but I liked them all. I was sorry to see the series end, but I enjoyed them while I had them.
It's really awesome hearing Shatner do all of the voices to every character. I have to break out laughing sometimes I can't control myself.
Old November 23 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Shatner should have stopped while he was ahead in my opinion. That means after Ashes of Eden,his first and best book, or after the first trilogy at the latest. It only went downhill after that.
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

There was a lot of corny writing.

I seem to think of a lot of stuff like this when I think of the Shatnerverse:

So Jim, when the odds were against him, did what he always did. He turned death into a chance to live, to fight, to survive.
It was, after all,Spock wopuld have said were he here, what he did best.

Then that sort of thing would happen about 8 times in each book.
Oh, and the fanwanky thing where a person ot two from TNG, DS9 and Voyager must show up.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Csalem
Commodore

I enjoyed them, though quality diminished over the years. The Return and Avenger are probably my favourite two, with the first Mirror Universe book being also an enjoyable read.
Old November 23 2009, 01:40 PM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I love the Shatnerverse, but I have yet to read Captain’s Blood or Glory. I’m looking forward to the Titan crossover, should I ever find them.

It's a shame the cool concepts (Borg Hypercube, the Preservers, Project Sign) never turn up again.

I can see why some people dislike it (usually the sort who take Star Trek too seriously, imo), but I personally love the Star Trek V/Stargate-style silliness and the fact that Kirk saves the day every single time.

I think the Back to the Future-style flying cars in Collision Course were a bit much, though.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Saul
Rear Admiral

I thought by that future time they'd have flying cars. You see them in TNG. If they can break the warp barrier then flying cars isn't overdoing it.
Old November 23 2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

^Flying cars are a very bad idea unless they're computer-controlled. People have enough traffic accidents in two dimensions. And if a normal car breaks down, you can just pull over to the side of the road, rather than falling to a grisly death.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 06:25 PM   #13
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

In my opinion, the Shatnerverse books are Mary Sue fanfic written by someone who actually portrayed a beloved character. The Kirk in those stories makes Chuck Norris look like Tinkerbell. They're what a Michael Bay Star Trek movie would look like, if Bay had a hardon for William Shatner instead of the US military.
Old November 23 2009, 06:41 PM   #14
Desert Kris
Lieutenant

I read Ashes of Eden and was entertained and delighted by it. It could, arguable, be slotted in with the rest of canon without being classified as "shatnerverse." I have The Return, which I was always interested in because of The Borg, but always shied away from reading it because it brought Kirk back to life in The Next Generation's time.

That's the thing, is it is supposed to be The Next Generation's time. I do like that Gene Roddenberry held back from alluding to the original crew's fates, and it was nice over the course of TNG's run to get an answer for some of the original Enterprise's crew; a perfect little treat here and there in small doses.

I find it offputting when someone with enough ambition comes along with enough attention to detail to inventory all the old crew, and put them back into play in a setting that's so far removed from their prime place and time, when that setting belongs to a different ensemble.

I don't think I mind too much if the original crew presence is acknowledged in whatever place they've settled themselves into (Spock doing his reunification windmill, Scotty with his engineering thing, Uhura only hinted as residing in the shadows of Starfleet Intelligence). It gets weird when they are involved in the action. It gets wrong for me when two or more join up in an adventure.

So I was never going to venture much farther than The Return, and even that I might have ended up allocated to a bubble of apocrypha.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2009, 08:10 PM   #15
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

I read all of them up to Collission course. The first two are good, with a precipitous drop-off.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote