RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 757
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 20 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
VOODOOXI
Commander

Deleted scene where Spock explains how the timeline "healed itself"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it reported that there is a deleted scene (or maybe an extended version of the cave scene) that almost made the movie where Spock prime explains to Kirk how the timeline is attempting to heal itself?

If memory serves one of the writers offered this as an explanation as to how Kirk just happens to stumble into the exact cave where Spock prime has been hiding.

I thought that I heard that the scene almost made it into the film, but was cut at the last minute. If it does exist I'm kind of surprised that it didn't make it onto the Blu-ray. In theory it could explain a lot
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Re: Deleted scene where Spock explains how the timeline "healed itself

I think it was said in interviews.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 04:00 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it reported that there is a deleted scene (or maybe an extended version of the cave scene) that almost made the movie where Spock prime explains to Kirk how the timeline is attempting to heal itself?

If memory serves one of the writers offered this as an explanation as to how Kirk just happens to stumble into the exact cave where Spock prime has been hiding.

I thought that I heard that the scene almost made it into the film, but was cut at the last minute. If it does exist I'm kind of surprised that it didn't make it onto the Blu-ray. In theory it could explain a lot
I think the deal was that the line to which you refer was part of an earlier version of the script, but had been removed by the time filming started. I remember that one of the writers (Orci, iirc) was quoted as saying he would have liked to have kept it in.

The explanation by Spock Prime does figure in the novelization, if I'm not mistaken.
Old November 21 2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Chrisisall
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I think the deal was that the line to which you refer was part of an earlier version of the script, but had been removed by the time filming started. I remember that one of the writers (Orci, iirc) was quoted as saying he would have liked to have kept it in.
Yeah, I read that in an interview in the Star Trek magazine.
Too bad, that was a cool concept.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 04:32 AM   #5
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Sounds like it might have been cool, but I like that there are 2 separate time lines, rather than 1 trying to fix itself. Or am I no understanding what Spoke Prime was saying?
Old November 21 2009, 05:27 AM   #6
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Sounds like it might have been cool, but I like that there are 2 separate time lines, rather than 1 trying to fix itself. Or am I no understanding what Spoke Prime was saying?
I think you're understanding it, and I think the line was cut because, no matter how they tried to write it, it hinted too much at a single timeline instead of the two separate ones they were trying to get across.

From this TrekMovie interview (published April 30):
TrekMovie: Even though things are different in this timeline, like Kirk coming aboard the Enterprise first as a cadet, by the end of the movie every one of the original bridge crew end up where they are supposed to be. Is there some kind of notion that it is their destiny to be on that bridge, regardless of what timeline you are on?

Kurtzman: Yes. In fact there was one version of the script where Kirk points out that it is incredibly odd that they all sort of turned as they would have. Nimoy Spock tells Kirk ‘I knew this character as this person and that character as that person’ and Kirk says ‘wow, those characters are exactly the same ones that I know’ and Spock says something like ‘Fascinating, that must be the timestream’s way of trying to mend itself.’

Orci: It is a nod to destiny. And there is still something like that in the film.
Edit:

Here, TrekWeb has excerpts from the Star Trek Magazine interview, which contains this, from Kurtzman:
AK: It's funny you ask about time travel and the idea that time sorts itself out. There was a line that we had written that was shot which ended up getting cut from the movie. Watching it the other day, I wish we'd kept. When Kirk and Spock Prime are in the cave and Spock's telling him everything, there's a mention by Kirk of "How is it that I found you in this cave in the middle of an ice planet? It's insane that we should ever even meet this way." Spock says, "Perhaps it's the timestream's way of trying to mend itself. It is fate and destiny trying to bring us together."
Looks like I misremembered about who said they wished they'd kept the line in, and he says here that it was filmed but not used. Maybe it didn't end up in the extras because it wasn't an entire deleted scene?

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 21 2009 at 05:39 AM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 06:40 AM   #7
gastrof
Rear Admiral

If Spock had made the comment, it would have been in step with something he said in "CITY...", to the effect that time itself might direct him and Kirk back to McCoy so they could set things right.
Old November 21 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
paudemge
Captain

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I think it works with either one or two.There are still two time lines but the new time line is trying get to the same ultimate place the original was got to or something.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 07:15 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

This would certainly go a long way towards explaining why nuKirk made Captain so damn fast. The admiralty in the new timeline may be somehow influenced to promote him that fast because of this healing action of the timeline.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 07:22 AM   #10
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I think I prefer than line not to be in there. I can handle everything that they met due to a coincidence or assuming it is "fate", but to have a line that specifically points out that it was destiny doing it would probably have taken me out of the movie at that moment.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Aike
Commander

The script is available online.
After the mind meld this conversation takes place:

Kirk gathers himself, wipes his eyes on his sleeve...
KIRK
Going back in time... you changed all our
lives.
SPOCK PRIME
Yet remarkably, events within our
timelines, characteristics, people...
seem to overlap significantly. Tell me
about the rest of the crew? Chekov--
Uhura --?
KIRK
Tactical and Communications --
SPOCK PRIME
-- Sulu --
KIRK
-- he's the helmsman, why?
SPOCK PRIME
Dr. McCoy would assert our meeting here
is not a matter of coincidence... but
rather, indication of a higher purpose.
KIRK
... he'd call it a damn miracle.
SPOCK PRIME
Yes he would. Perhaps the time stream's
way of attempting to mend itself. In
both our histories, the same crew found
its way onto the same ship in a time of
ultimate crisis -- therein lies our
advantage.
(rises)
We must go-- there's a Starfleet outpost
not far from here.
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Aike wrote: View Post
The script is available online.
After the mind meld this conversation takes place:

Kirk gathers himself, wipes his eyes on his sleeve...
KIRK
Going back in time... you changed all our
lives.
SPOCK PRIME
Yet remarkably, events within our
timelines, characteristics, people...
seem to overlap significantly. Tell me
about the rest of the crew? Chekov--
Uhura --?
KIRK
Tactical and Communications --
SPOCK PRIME
-- Sulu --
KIRK
-- he's the helmsman, why?
SPOCK PRIME
Dr. McCoy would assert our meeting here
is not a matter of coincidence... but
rather, indication of a higher purpose.
KIRK
... he'd call it a damn miracle.
SPOCK PRIME
Yes he would. Perhaps the time stream's
way of attempting to mend itself. In
both our histories, the same crew found
its way onto the same ship in a time of
ultimate crisis -- therein lies our
advantage.
(rises)
We must go-- there's a Starfleet outpost
not far from here.
Nice one.

I did wonder, actually, when i saw it the theatres that tere seems to be holes in that scene. It didnt seem finnished, rushed to say the least.

But the inquisitive mind in me went into over drive to imagine what else Kirk and Spock couldve discussed/explained. Such as destiny/fate, timeline trying to heal itself, but in hindsight, i prefere the paralell timeline though. This is still a little brief, but it explains a lot in a short exchange.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Search4
Commander

And i guess the 'timeline healing itself' will cause the rebirth of Vulcan.

Fooey. Amazing that minutes after Vulcan is destroyed, a few cadets landing in positions they are qualified for on a starship is "the timeline healing itself".
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Search4 wrote: View Post
And i guess the 'timeline healing itself' will cause the rebirth of Vulcan.
The survivors are founding a new colony, so in a way, that's true.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 06:40 PM   #15
urbandk
Commodore

I've never been a fan of this destiny business in the film. I'm happy the line was omitted.