MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2009, 02:36 PM   #91
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Just picked up my set from Best Buy...

The price of $69.99 was too good to pass up but the with the inclusion of PKW as well as In Store Pick-Up, I was sold.

If Best Buy stays competitive on Sci-Fi/TV sets like this, I'll continue to use their services.

Same here. The havent had very good prices on dvds in years, for me at least. I have always been able to get them cheaper on line for at least 4 years now. This one was a shocker.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 07:28 PM   #92
Pilot Ace
Captain

About to head out and pick up my copy! I'm glad I can finally own this series instead of just watching my pirated episodes.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 06:19 AM   #93
23skidoo
Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I got my set via UPS this morning. Very spiffy looking set so far, and it comes loaded with cool extras. Unfortunately, it looks as though they failed to make it in widescreen, so I won't be able to watch it without VLC because that's needed to fix the aspect ratio. Hopefully HDTVs that come out in the following months will have an auto crop feature to get rid of the disgusting non-widescreen issues.
I'm quite offended at this very notion of butchering shows that were filmed in fullscreen. That was the way they were intended to be seen and they were composed specifically for that sort of presentation. I can understand if the shows were shot widescreen and not released to DVD in that format, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to chop up the images is clueless, I'm sorry. It's no different than colorizing black and white movies. Leave them the way they were originally composed. And any HDTV that doesn't allow programs to be viewed in their original aspect ratio without chopping is a piece of garbage.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 07:33 AM   #94
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Well said.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 07:58 AM   #95
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
I got my set via UPS this morning. Very spiffy looking set so far, and it comes loaded with cool extras. Unfortunately, it looks as though they failed to make it in widescreen, so I won't be able to watch it without VLC because that's needed to fix the aspect ratio. Hopefully HDTVs that come out in the following months will have an auto crop feature to get rid of the disgusting non-widescreen issues.
I'm quite offended at this very notion of butchering shows that were filmed in fullscreen. That was the way they were intended to be seen and they were composed specifically for that sort of presentation. I can understand if the shows were shot widescreen and not released to DVD in that format, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to chop up the images is clueless, I'm sorry. It's no different than colorizing black and white movies. Leave them the way they were originally composed. And any HDTV that doesn't allow programs to be viewed in their original aspect ratio without chopping is a piece of garbage.

Alex
You're absolutely right! Because watching a TV show that presents itself as a box that takes up about 50% of the set size is really awesome. Everyone is sure gonna love the aesthetics there!
Old November 19 2009, 08:04 AM   #96
Skywalker
Admiral

Cropping the tops and bottoms off of a picture filmed in 4:3 to fit a widescreen TV is just as egregious as cropping the sides off of a picture filmed in 16:9 to fit a standard TV. It's not the amount of screen a picture takes up that matters, it's being able to see the entire picture, no matter how it was framed.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 09:02 AM   #97
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Oh well, there isn't going to be any common ground in this debate. I'll just say that I think fullscreen DVDs look like absolute shit on new televisions.
Old November 19 2009, 09:17 AM   #98
Skywalker
Admiral

Of course they do, especially if the fullscreen DVD is actually a cropped version of a movie filmed in a widescreen aspect ratio.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:07 PM   #99
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I love the packaging on this set. The individual season ... boxes? (probably some technical term here I am forgetting) are quite thick and sturdy and the disc releases inside the boxes are the high-quality kind. I wish the DS9 and Voyager sets had this same level of quality. Voyager in particular had some really crappy packaging.

So far I've managed to unpack the set and load it into my 400 disc changer. Perhaps I'll watch some of it tonight.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:13 PM   #100
Leroy
Fleet Captain

So what is the situation with the Farscape picture? Did A&E screw it up? Because when the Premiere came out I don't remember it being in widescreen.
LitmusDragon wrote:
I love the packaging on this set. The individual season ... boxes? (probably some technical term here I am forgetting) are quite thick and sturdy and the disc releases inside the boxes are the high-quality kind. I wish the DS9 and Voyager sets had this same level of quality. Voyager in particular had some really crappy packaging.
You are right about that at least R2 got good packaging for the slimline editions.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:22 PM   #101
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post

So far I've managed to unpack the set and load it into my 400 disc changer. Perhaps I'll watch some of it tonight.
I have a question regarding the size. From the pictures it looks like the size of this entire box is somewhat small. Is that the case or are they a lot bigger than that. I've made room on the shelf for them, but they looked small for 5 seasons worth. Of course maybe all that was done to scale.
Old November 19 2009, 07:18 PM   #102
LitmusDragon
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I have a question regarding the size. From the pictures it looks like the size of this entire box is somewhat small. Is that the case or are they a lot bigger than that. I've made room on the shelf for them, but they looked small for 5 seasons worth. Of course maybe all that was done to scale.
It's about the size of five normal DVD cases sitting side-by-side. Which I guess is pretty small for a 26 disc set.

It was a bit larger than I was expecting from the promo pics though.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 12:14 AM   #103
Technobuilder
Commodore

I think the size is perfect to be honest.

I wish more DVD sets were packages to this degree.

Although if I were to be completely honest, I would of prefered a Hard-Shell box as opposed to the soft-cardboard shell the Season Cases came in.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 01:10 AM   #104
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I think the size is perfect to be honest.

I wish more DVD sets were packages to this degree.

Although if I were to be completely honest, I would of prefered a Hard-Shell box as opposed to the soft-cardboard shell the Season Cases came in.
When I first saw the picture of this, I thought it was a hard cardboard box just like the one A&E packaged the Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman seasons in. Those are a little sturdier than this, but this isn't so bad. At least it doesn't take up alot of shelf space.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 03:05 AM   #105
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I agree with the packaging comments. The set is sleek, attractive and compact ... everything a TV series set should be.