RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 483
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 15 2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Spiderpope
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Best Horror Films of the Decade

28 Days Later
[Rec]
and possibly The Host. And if Horror/comedy is allowed then shove Bubba-ho-tep and My Name is Bruce onto the list too.

"Don't let me eat pears!" - The Doctor
Spiderpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Ethros
Vice Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Two more...

Skeleton Key

Not seen 1308, but I did see 1408
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 02:55 AM   #18
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Bubba Ho-Tep: The premise of Elvis and Black JFK vs. the Mummy may sound nutty but it's a pretty special little movie. It deals with the issues of aging and there's more there than meets the eye. It actually made my wife cry.

Shaun of the Dead: Really fun movie. I think its the best zombie movie since the original Dawn of the Dead.

High Tension: I figured out the twist long before I was supposed to but it was still really entertaining and original.

The Descent: What made it special for me was the original ending, which of course was changed and dumbed down for the U.S. release.

Them (aka Ils): A French horror film that IMO is the best of the home invasion genre. I really enjoyed this one.

Joshua: It's a slow-burner and probably wouldn't be to everyone's taste. For some reason I found the atmosphere reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby although the stories aren't at all similar.

The Mist: Frank Darabont is one of my favorite filmmakers and this movie was a real departure for him. The movie is fantastic and it has a very powerful ending. One of the few Stephen King projects where the movie surpasses the the book, or in this case, the novella.

American Psycho: I don't know if everyone considers this a horror film, but I do. A great story about the coldness of elitism.
Old November 16 2009, 03:13 AM   #19
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

From what I've seen this decade here are my favorites:

1. The Ring
2. 28 Days Later
3. Paranormal Activity
4. Cloverfield
5. Dawn of the Dead
6. The Ruins
7. Ju-On: The Grudge
8. Pulse
9. The Mist
10. Quarantine (haven't seen the original film REC but I hear it's superior)

Honorable Mentions:
28 Weeks Later
Slither
Dark Water (original Japanese version)
Dead and Breakfast
Prey
Land of the Dead
The Descent
The Others
Black Sheep
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 11:19 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Forgot about the Others. That was a good flick.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 12:31 PM   #21
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Antichrist was profoundly haunting, and deeply disturbing especially on a purely visceral level. I would not want to be Willem Dafoe in that movie. I don't know if I'd call it a "horror" film, though, but more of a psychological drama/thriller with some very grotesque moments. I honestly think it is a film that defies categorization.

Them, a French horror film, was also very haunting and creepy. It had a distinctive Children of the Corn-esque feeling and that simple image of hooded intruders was very unsettling, plus that echoing like choir of "Will you play with us?" sent shivers down my spine.

The Strangers, a similar concept, was also one of the more gradually suspenseful horror films of the past ten years. It reminded me of a lot of the 70's horror films like The Last House on the Left.

Zack Synder's Dawn of the Dead was one of the better remakes. Very effective.

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are both very unique and creepily tense.

The first Saw is great. The sequels are garbage.

Trick 'R Treat wasn't the Second Coming of Horror that a lot of people proclaimed it was and spasmed over but it had a brilliantly clever screenplay. Not a lot of scares so much as twists and turns. It was more of a fun, entertaining horror film like Creepshow.
Old November 16 2009, 01:42 PM   #22
Lonemagpie
Writer

To be honest, the remake of House On Haunted Hill was the last horror film I thought really good... Though I suspect it's just me having got bored with the genre.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 06:29 PM   #23
rrrsports
Ensign

Orphan. I would not put this as a horror movie myself more suspense, or thriller,but going to see this at the movies I thought it was promoted as a horror movie. It did not get good reviews ,but I really enjoyed it.
rrrsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 02:13 AM   #24
Davros
Fleet Admiral

rrrsports wrote: View Post
Another Wes Craven horror movie, People Under the Stairs. Ving Rhames breakout role for me. Sorry I just noticed this decade 2000, my mistake.
It doesn't make People Under The Stairs any less great. I think it's the best thing Craven has ever done.