New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 12 2009, 05:47 PM   #121
ClayinCA
Commodore

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
And you believe everything Q says?
I don't know about you, but when Q commands me to pass along a message, I make it so.
He demands a NG movie featuring HIM!
In all seriousness, I've never understood why there wasn't a Next Generation movie with Q. Berman & co. kept saying they wanted to recreate the kind of conflict that the original cast films had with Khan and Kirk, and there's really no one in the Next Generation saga that matches that description better than Q - besides which, it would have given them an opportunity to do something with Q on a scale that they couldn't have achieved on TV.

And now it's too late.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 05:53 AM   #122
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Having watched it again, I find it holds up a lot more strongly than legend would have it, even without the excellent deleted scenes.
The quality of the TNG films, and this one, are so high, that the hate piled on them continues to make no sense to me. Schinzon and his homies make for a very gripping, creepy bunch of enemies, I think more intense than Nero and his similarly gothic gang in STXI.
Here are some moments I'm remembering:

- the glance between Picard and Data after landing the moon-buggy on the shuttlecraft: priceless
- Worf's "Very astute" just before the chase
- the long starship battle into the finale was truly awesome - in particular the tactical elements displayed make you want to bust out Bridge Commander
- the confrence room, the bridge, main engineering with the 2-storey warp core
- Troi getting to use her psychic powers offensively
- Riker hanging by one arm after kicking off the Viceroy = awesome
- the female Romulan commander = hell yeah
- the smooth chain of command represented - Riker and Worf go to defend the ship, Data hops into the XO chair
- Picard and Data's escape from the Scimitar = awesome
- soundtrack, FX - crewmembers blown from the bridge = kicks ass

I could go on further. I understand the criticisms, but overall, ST:NEM kicks some ass, and has powerful thought-provoking questions along with archetypal drama taking place. STXI kicks some ass also, but honestly, NEM was not a bad sendoff for the TNG crew - it was a very well made, highly awesome finale with the punch of a major character's sacrifice, told in a hugely spectacular way.
The mental-sexual-assault element was really pretty creepy, Schinzon later darkly saying "I was lonely". One thing I don't see explained is why the Remans follow him almost like Jem Hadar.

Oh, and one other recollection: you could totally see Guinan vibing out Geordi at the wedding. Like she maybe wanted some Chief Engineer up in her quarters ~
I wish Wesley had been cut in, that would have made it feel like a more complete finale. And I have no doubt that a sequel to NEM would have been amazing, with two main starships, B4 probably gaining some functionality, a few new characters - excellent opportunity to add DS9/VOY crew to either ship. But as it stands, it was a strong finale for TNG. Stands well beside STVI, or any of the films really, though I think IV is probably the masterpiece of the bunch.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 07:20 AM   #123
David49
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I loved the ship to ship battle scenes.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2009, 03:39 AM   #124
Chrisisall
Commodore

I reach you, Cptn'.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2009, 10:56 PM   #125
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Having watched it again, I find it holds up a lot more strongly than legend would have it, even without the excellent deleted scenes.
The quality of the TNG films, and this one, are so high, that the hate piled on them continues to make no sense to me. Schinzon and his homies make for a very gripping, creepy bunch of enemies, I think more intense than Nero and his similarly gothic gang in STXI.
Here are some moments I'm remembering:

- the glance between Picard and Data after landing the moon-buggy on the shuttlecraft: priceless
- Worf's "Very astute" just before the chase
- the long starship battle into the finale was truly awesome - in particular the tactical elements displayed make you want to bust out Bridge Commander
- the confrence room, the bridge, main engineering with the 2-storey warp core
- Troi getting to use her psychic powers offensively
- Riker hanging by one arm after kicking off the Viceroy = awesome
- the female Romulan commander = hell yeah
- the smooth chain of command represented - Riker and Worf go to defend the ship, Data hops into the XO chair
- Picard and Data's escape from the Scimitar = awesome
- soundtrack, FX - crewmembers blown from the bridge = kicks ass
You make some great points there! This film has been accused of ignoring other TNG movies but the relationship in Insurrection that redeveloped between Diana and Will fit very well and as a fine I liked seeing them married. Also seeing Riker get his first command was the right thing to do for his character.

I could go on further. I understand the criticisms, but overall, ST:NEM kicks some ass, and has powerful thought-provoking questions along with archetypal drama taking place. STXI kicks some ass also, but honestly, NEM was not a bad sendoff for the TNG crew - it was a very well made, highly awesome finale with the punch of a major character's sacrifice, told in a hugely spectacular way.
The mental-sexual-assault element was really pretty creepy, Schinzon later darkly saying "I was lonely". One thing I don't see explained is why the Remans follow him almost like Jem Hadar.

Oh, and one other recollection: you could totally see Guinan vibing out Geordi at the wedding. Like she maybe wanted some Chief Engineer up in her quarters ~
I wish Wesley had been cut in, that would have made it feel like a more complete finale. And I have no doubt that a sequel to NEM would have been amazing, with two main starships, B4 probably gaining some functionality, a few new characters - excellent opportunity to add DS9/VOY crew to either ship. But as it stands, it was a strong finale for TNG. Stands well beside STVI, or any of the films really, though I think IV is probably the masterpiece of the bunch.
I couldn't have said it better myself, I also want to add that the performances in the film were perfect, some really good acting adding tension and drama in a very good way.
Old November 15 2009, 03:19 AM   #126
Balrog
Commodore

This film needed a new script, director, and about $100 million more injected into it to make it palpable. It was a cheap TWOK rip-off with the stupidest "clone" plot ever written for sci-fi.
Old November 15 2009, 05:24 AM   #127
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Lloyd_Dobler wrote: View Post
This film needed a new script, director, and about $100 million more injected into it to make it palpable. It was a cheap TWOK rip-off with the stupidest "clone" plot ever written for sci-fi.
Okay, now what did you like about it?

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 05:51 PM   #128
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Lloyd_Dobler wrote: View Post
I agree about the script and the director, but I don't see how throwing more money into the project would necessarily make it better. I find it frustrating that Hollywood pours so much money into some of their projects. A massive production budget can't save a film if the story and script are terrible. I don't look at NEM and think "wow, cheap movie, why didn't they have a bigger budget?"
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 09:18 PM   #129
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Being a P/C fan, I liked the little bit of interaction between the two in this movie, more so than the other three TNG films. There seemed to be more of that old connection between the two. I wish the cut scenes were in there too, like the goodbye and the wedding party conversation, but at least we got Bev sitting on his desk like she did in the series.

I also liked:

*The wedding.
*The end battle.
*The nature vs. nuture theme.
*Brent Spiner's acting when he as Data deactivates B-4.
*Data's funeral.
*The Ready Room scene where Picard tries to dissuade Shinzon from following through with his plan. This is something that harkened back to the series where he would try to use talk first before action. And yeah, this movie has a lot of action, so it was nice to see things slow down a bit there.
*Riker trying to remember the tune Data whistled.
*The goodbye between Riker and Picard.
*Picard walking and smiling down the corridor at the end.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 11:00 PM   #130
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
Being a P/C fan, I liked the little bit of interaction between the two in this movie, more so than the other three TNG films.
I noticed that also, subtly present, like Geordi-Guinan. (G/G?) NEM really has more of a "TNG family" feel throughout it, which adds to its appropriateness as a send-off. You could see P/C developing a bit more in a sequel.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 11:58 PM   #131
Cpt Cullison
Ensign

even though i;m a huge fan nemises was complete bullshit
Cpt Cullison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 04:54 AM   #132
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

The positive review of the movie in two local Toronto papers (NOW & Exclaim! [a music magazine]) were enough for me to see it twice, for some reason; the first time because the theater I saw it in first sucked, the second time because I wanted to see it at the Uptown theater in downtown Toronto, which was bigger and better (it's now gone, sadly.)

Here's the review from Exclaim!:

Despite the fact that Star Trek, as an institution, has lost much of its momentum, especially after 1998’s muddled Insurrection, the Trek still holds a special place in the hearts of geeks. And Star Trek Nemesis is, surprisingly, probably the second-best Next Generation film, after the Borg-heavyFirst Contact. After the initial “flogging a dead Targ” feel of seeing the old, and I do mean old, gang reunited (the wedding of Deanna and Riker, the futuristic dune buggy away mission with Picard, Data and Worf), Nemesis quickly and efficiently introduces its antagonist (Shinzon, a young clone of Picard who now rules the Romulan and Reman empire) and starts exploring its themes of duality.
Nemesis review

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; November 17 2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Proper formatting of quoted article
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 06:30 AM   #133
Klaitu
Commodore

I too thought it worked very well as a movie, but I felt that the addition of the deleted scenes would have gone a long way to shore up the "non-action" side of the plot.

I also enjoyed the starship battle near the end quite a bit, with the maneuvering to protect weakened shields, etc.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Klaitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 06:44 AM   #134
Red Ranger
Admiral

Not much. I did like the new Romulan ships, the Reman Scimitar, and the actress who played Donatra. She was hot! Then again, Romulan women are smoldering! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 02:49 PM   #135
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Three things:

1. Riker & Troi finally getting married (although the ceremony itself was rather silly).

2. The assassination of the Romulan Senate.

3. The viewscreen getting shot out. Surprisingly, that was something we'd never seen happen in all the previous space battles in Star Trek over the years.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote