Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 15 2009, 02:08 AM   #316
Klaitu
Commodore

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Putting TNG on blu-ray is inevitable. Star Trek is still one of the most popular and well-known franchises ever made, and there's lots of money to be had here.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Klaitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 02:11 AM   #317
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Klaitu wrote: View Post
Putting TNG on blu-ray is inevitable. Star Trek is still one of the most popular and well-known franchises ever made, and there's lots of money to be had here.
Of course, but is there *enough* money to justify the massive amounts of work? It would take a lot longer than TOS-R did (I'm guessing at least 5 years, and that's assuming that they can farm out the work to multiple outlets so as to work on many episodes at once), and also the actual amount of work would be much greater. The ROI may not be enough.

I can definitely see a HD 'fan collective' or two, but not necessarily the entire series.

I think that Enterprise will be the next Trek series to make it to Blu-Ray. There's fewer episodes, and they're closer to HD-ready (the show has even aired in native HD).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 04:43 AM   #318
Klaitu
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Of course, but is there *enough* money to justify the massive amounts of work? It would take a lot longer than TOS-R did (I'm guessing at least 5 years, and that's assuming that they can farm out the work to multiple outlets so as to work on many episodes at once), and also the actual amount of work would be much greater. The ROI may not be enough.

I can definitely see a HD 'fan collective' or two, but not necessarily the entire series.

I think that Enterprise will be the next Trek series to make it to Blu-Ray. There's fewer episodes, and they're closer to HD-ready (the show has even aired in native HD).
No doubt that Enterprise is ready for blu-ray, with everything about it being in HD.

I suspect that TNG will be able to make a lot of money remastered in HD, especially if they release it in syndication like they did with TOS.
Old November 16 2009, 03:09 PM   #319
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

while nothing official this The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Volume 2 review mentions this:
As the original series presently rolls out in fully loaded hi-def box sets, and with the Next Generation film series already on BD too, it's all but inevitable that Blu-ray releases of "The Next Generation" are around the corner, the cycle soon to start all over again.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 04:53 PM   #320
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
while nothing official this The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Volume 2 review mentions this:
As the original series presently rolls out in fully loaded hi-def box sets, and with the Next Generation film series already on BD too, it's all but inevitable that Blu-ray releases of "The Next Generation" are around the corner, the cycle soon to start all over again.
That's just more speculation/wishful thinking.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 05:50 PM   #321
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Butters wrote: View Post
A good miniature shot should look real. A good CGI sequence should look real. Only our knowledge that there is no real starship should betray the effect and as amazing as the filming models were, there's not one shot of it in TNG that would stand up to either today's CGI standards or current viewer expectations.
No offense, but I call bullshit.

TNG's model work was fantastic in most cases, and extremely well done. I've watched many an episode over the years, and I think the visual effects hold up quite well. Sure, there's a lack of certain things, like the ability to show tons of ships when an armada is supposedly going into battle, but what is on the screen looks good.

Frankly, I find a great deal of the televised CGI work done in the later years to be quite wanting in comparison to TNG.

Sure, TNG's visual effects will need to be re-done if they want to do an HD release, simply because they were shot on videotape and don't have the resolution necessary to support HD. But I don't think viewers would otherwise have any problem with most of the visual effects from that series.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 12:24 AM   #322
trevanian
Rear Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
A good miniature shot should look real. A good CGI sequence should look real. Only our knowledge that there is no real starship should betray the effect and as amazing as the filming models were, there's not one shot of it in TNG that would stand up to either today's CGI standards or current viewer expectations.

TNG's model work was fantastic in most cases, and extremely well done. I've watched many an episode over the years, and I think the visual effects hold up quite well. Sure, there's a lack of certain things, like the ability to show tons of ships when an armada is supposedly going into battle, but what is on the screen looks good.

Frankly, I find a great deal of the televised CGI work done in the later years to be quite wanting in comparison to TNG.
Yeah, it's total bullshit. The level of TV effects work in the miniature arena during early to late 90s on DS9 and later TNG was very high indeed, and considerably more convincing than what followed during the rush to CG for dollar reasons and being able to do more shots at less credibility.

Then again, viewers today seem to like fake looking stuff more, as long as it is pretty enough. Cater to morons, redo the fx.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 06:21 AM   #323
Klaitu
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post

Yeah, it's total bullshit. The level of TV effects work in the miniature arena during early to late 90s on DS9 and later TNG was very high indeed, and considerably more convincing than what followed during the rush to CG for dollar reasons and being able to do more shots at less credibility.

Then again, viewers today seem to like fake looking stuff more, as long as it is pretty enough. Cater to morons, redo the fx.
I too agree. While models have production reasons why they are inferior (more expense, complicated shots, limited camera angles) a well done model shot is simply superior in every way to a CGI effect.

The best example of this is in Star Trek: Generations where for much of the movie, the Enterprise-D is a model.. and it looks absolutely amazing, particularly in the new blu-ray release.

TNG's problem, as mentioned above, is that the effects were edited in on video tape.. but at one point these would have had to be composited on film, and maybe that film is still available.. who knows? Heck, if the TOS prints are still around, there's gotta be TNG prints somewhere.
Old November 17 2009, 02:35 PM   #324
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TNG's problem, as mentioned above, is that the effects were edited in on video tape.. but at one point these would have had to be composited on film, and maybe that film is still available.. who knows? Heck, if the TOS prints are still around, there's gotta be TNG prints somewhere.
There are TNG original camera negatives as Okuda mentioned. They were composited on videotape at 480i resolution, not film.

Malcolm Orr mentions
they were able to find the exact scene they wanted from Menage a Trois for [re]scanning [the film to HD] for the finale of Enterprise, so presumably they are indexed in some way...
see this post as to why if TNG were given a remastered treatment for Blu-ray why all of the visual effects would probably be done as CGI.
This episode "Parallels" had to do some major compositing. Check this out about the difficulty in reconforming that episode from the original camera negative for the visual effects shot for a 5 seconds shot.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 08:48 PM   #325
Butters
Captain

I too agree. While models have production reasons why they are inferior (more expense, complicated shots, limited camera angles) a well done model shot is simply superior in every way to a CGI effect.

The best example of this is in Star Trek: Generations where for much of the movie, the Enterprise-D is a model.. and it looks absolutely amazing, particularly in the new blu-ray release.

Bullshit my arse.

So all CGI is inferior to all miniature. Now that is bullshit. Well done, some of the fx you've seen betrays its working and blatant miniatures are preferable to blatant cgi, but thats not a universal view. Personally, I'd take the primitively rendered yet respectably realistic motion of B5 over the immaculately detailed 3 point turning model composited alongside a ridiculously overscaled bird of prey anyday.

Crap FX have nothing to do with the Video tape.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 05:20 AM   #326
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Generally I love what was done on TOS-R, but in some shots the Enterprise has a flat video game-ish look. Compared to some of the great model work that was done on TNG, CGI of that level will hurt the visuals of certain episodes rather than improve upon them. I mean, I don't see CGI-on-a-budget accomplish the sense of size shots like these create:

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2009, 07:01 AM   #327
Klaitu
Commodore

Bullshit my arse.

So all CGI is inferior to all miniature. Now that is bullshit. Well done, some of the fx you've seen betrays its working and blatant miniatures are preferable to blatant cgi, but thats not a universal view. Personally, I'd take the primitively rendered yet respectably realistic motion of B5 over the immaculately detailed 3 point turning model composited alongside a ridiculously overscaled bird of prey anyday.

Crap FX have nothing to do with the Video tape.
There are obviously model effects that are crap, and CGI effects that are excellent work as well. The reverse is also true.

With technology improving, maybe it's possible to create a CGI Enterprise-D that looks better than the model. I'm merely saying that hasn't happened yet.

The B5 effects have their own problems, as do the TNG model effects. A discourse comparing the two would be useless as the technology for those effects is now obsolete.

My point was that in this age of CGI, many people underestimate how great models used to look. The real trick here is to create CGI that doesn't look like garbage.

That way you have the model detail of TNG with the motions lf B5, scale is preserved, and everyone wins.
Old November 18 2009, 01:57 PM   #328
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
Generally I love what was done on TOS-R, but in some shots the Enterprise has a flat video game-ish look. Compared to some of the great model work that was done on TNG, CGI of that level will hurt the visuals of certain episodes rather than improve upon them. I mean, I don't see CGI-on-a-budget accomplish the sense of size shots like these create:

I like the lighting in those shots, but I hate that $#@%@#% model. To me its overly chunky detail screams "toy" rather than "starship."
Old November 18 2009, 02:22 PM   #329
ST-One
Vice Admiral

With technology improving, maybe it's possible to create a CGI Enterprise-D that looks better than the model. I'm merely saying that hasn't happened yet.
Perhaps not better, but pretty damn close (even in this unfinished, untextured state this CG-model looks amazing):

The thread about this model can be found at Foundation3D.com: http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3875
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2009, 06:21 PM   #330
Lazarus
Fleet Captain

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post

As much as it pains me to say this, because for some reason I feel like I'm betraying The Next Generation (which did contain some outstanding model shots as well as some TRUELY SHOCKING ones!) I think the CGI Enterprise-D from These Are The Voyages has the edge.

Putting aside the trivial fact that the saucer's impulse engines are glowing, the CGI ship looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote