RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 759
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 16 2009, 12:55 AM   #61
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Battlestar Galactica was mastered in high definition, and had heaps of bonus content that was made by the producers at no cost to the studio. Universal and the Sci-Fi Channel (er, SyFy) have been extremely supportive of the series at all avenues. It's still on the air.

Warner Bros., on the other hand, has Babylon 5. It's a show that wasn't mastered in HD, with effects that can only be completely redone if they must appear in HD format (all the CGI elements have been lost, only the few that were recreated for The Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales still exist). It's rarely been on television since it ended. And Warner Bros. (PTEN doesn't even exist anymore, and TNT stopped supporting it after 1 year) doesn't support the program with any kind of logical synergy (as recently explained by JMS).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 01:29 AM   #62
stonester1
Rear Admiral

When I say BSG, I'm not just talking about the new show. I'm talking about the old, the new movie in the works, and how the franchise refuses to just give up the ghost.

I really doubt B5 will have any less staying power. And if there's a buck to be made (and from what I hear, DVD sales have been quite lucrative...)

Never say never.
Old November 16 2009, 01:33 AM   #63
Harvey
Admiral

Ah, I see. Whether Babylon 5 has any staying power, at least in Joe Michael Strazynski's lifetime, is up to him. Warner Bros. certainly can't be trusted to do much with the property, besides going for a cheap buck. We'll see what happens in the future.

Old November 16 2009, 01:39 AM   #64
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Hey, Farscape fans. I've not seen this series, but am looking to start a new SF series. Sell me on this box set.
Old November 16 2009, 01:44 AM   #65
Harvey
Admiral

Well, it's my favorite television series, fellow Washingtonian. On that count, I didn't know there were many of us here, so hello. Tacoma's not too far away from me.

But onto Farscape, it has great characters, wonderfully imaginative design, and an irreverent tone that is a wondeful change of pace from space opera that takes itself much more seriously (Babylon 5, Battestar Galactica, Star Trek). The first season starts and stops, but by the end of it the series is running at full pace. But some people think it's weird, so if you're not sure, rent the first season before investing in the complete set.

Old November 16 2009, 01:49 AM   #66
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I always liked the ADV trailers

Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 01:50 AM   #67
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Complete series now $74.38 at deepdiscount also $69.99 at bestbuy.com
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 02:07 AM   #68
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
But onto Farscape, it has great characters, wonderfully imaginative design, and an irreverent tone that is a wondeful change of pace from space opera that takes itself much more seriously (Babylon 5, Battestar Galactica, Star Trek). The first season starts and stops, but by the end of it the series is running at full pace. But some people think it's weird,
Oh, it's definitely weird. And I say so as a diehard fan. Farscape is weird, quirky, bizarre and wonderfully entertaining space opera. It's also capable of being as serious and dramatic as most other shows in the genre, with each season typically concluding with a breathless and epic arc.

But yeah, rent it. Opinions seem divided on the first season from what I've seen, but most would agree among those who like it that it gets good or great at "Nerve", the first episode of the end-of-season arc, so possibly consider sticking it out till then.

I personally consider it good from the get-go, though the first season is more than a trifle patchy early on.
Old November 16 2009, 02:16 AM   #69
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Harvey: where are you in WA?
Old November 16 2009, 02:25 AM   #70
Pilot Ace
Captain

Dar70 wrote: View Post
Jeez, that's tremendous value. Thanks so much! I easily would have spent the few bucks above $100 that Amazon was offering... But, wow.

Probably gonna pre-order from Best Buy within the hour.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 02:35 AM   #71
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Jeez, that's tremendous value. Thanks so much! I easily would have spent the few bucks above $100 that Amazon was offering... But, wow.

Probably gonna pre-order from Best Buy within the hour.

Good Man. I just ordered them myself. I think it includes the peacekeeper wars as a bestbuy exclusive. (I will be asking when I go into my local store.) I have heard some talk of a bluray set one day, but I figure it wouldnt be that cheap and by the time it was $69.99 I would be an old man. I want to re-enjoy them now.
Old November 16 2009, 02:47 AM   #72
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Wonderful. Best Buy marks their set down the day before my set (which cost me $120 on Amazon -- I also got PKW from them --) arrives at my doorstep. Thanks Best Buy!
Old November 16 2009, 03:01 AM   #73
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Wonderful. Best Buy marks their set down the day before my set (which cost me $120 on Amazon -- I also got PKW from them --) arrives at my doorstep. Thanks Best Buy!

Maybe you can return it? $104 from Amazon seemed cheap to me a few days ago also. Especially since these have been so hard to get over the years and much more expensive. I was surprised by this price drop. I wouldnt be kicking yourself too hard.
Old November 16 2009, 03:47 AM   #74
Pilot Ace
Captain

Good Man. I just ordered them myself. I think it includes the peacekeeper wars as a bestbuy exclusive. (I will be asking when I go into my local store.) I have heard some talk of a bluray set one day, but I figure it wouldnt be that cheap and by the time it was $69.99 I would be an old man. I want to re-enjoy them now.
Just sent in my order. Probably will pick it up Wednesday, as long as it's in stock at my local Best Buy... Which I imagine it will be.

Not sure what I'll do if it includes The Peacekeeper Wars, I picked that up a year or so ago separately... Oh well!
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 04:22 AM   #75
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Wow, already a steal at a $100 IMO, this is awesome!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote