Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 11 2009, 10:46 PM   #46
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: Small 2010 update - covers and titles

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Too true - being rubbish at thinking up titles I did once sign on the dotted line of a contract where the title was "I'll think of a title when it's finished, honest"
The title on the contract for what ended up being Open Secrets was "TBD."

For our next Vanguard book, the current title, out of respect for Steve Mollmann and his love of long, old-school unwieldy titles, is The Taurus Key: A Crystalline Fairy Tale, Founded Upon The Mysteries of the Shedai and the Oppression of Their Servants. It Was Written for Kollotuul, But Others Should Read It.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 11:59 PM   #47
Lonemagpie
Writer

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
Too true - being rubbish at thinking up titles I did once sign on the dotted line of a contract where the title was "I'll think of a title when it's finished, honest"
Oh, I've had "TBC" as well. But that's just somehow not as unique...

For our next Vanguard book, the current title, out of respect for Steve Mollmann and his love of long, old-school unwieldy titles, is The Taurus Key: A Crystalline Fairy Tale, Founded Upon The Mysteries of the Shedai and the Oppression of Their Servants. It Was Written for Kollotuul, But Others Should Read It.
I'm guessing the first three words are most likely to make it to the printed cover...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 03:09 AM   #48
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Oh, I've had "TBC" as well. But that's just somehow not as unique...

I'm guessing the first three words are most likely to make it to the printed cover...
Not very Rush-like though, is it?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 03:29 AM   #49
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

Contrary to popular myth, our stories with titles inspired by Rush songs are still outnumbered by those which aren't

Old November 12 2009, 05:26 AM   #50
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I'm just saying-- if this title ends up on the book, you've got yourself five extra sales. No, make that ten.

Also acceptable: Nogura's Conquest of Taurus (A Sequel to Precipice): How the People of All the Federation, Fearful of a Second Invasion From the Shedai, Under the Inspiration and Leadership of Heihachiro Nogura, The Great Admiral, Combined to Conquer the Warlike Reach.
Old November 12 2009, 06:20 AM   #51
KirkSpockTOSFan
Captain

Location: I will not allow you to lecture me about the merits of emotion

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I really like the Children Of Kings cover. Great stuff on both of those, actually; much better than the last few covers this year.

And the variety of stories from the nuTrek books sounds appealing
I agree, both books looks pretty cool! I can't wait until they come out, I plan on buying them both. I also plan on buying the STXI novel based books too. I wish they had cover art for those. I like to see what they look like.
Old November 12 2009, 05:59 PM   #52
ClayinCA
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Actually, my first vampire book, THE TRANSYLVANIAN LIBRARY, came out in 1993 . . . .
Greg, all I can glean from Amazon about this book is that it's out of print, but that title is really cool. What was the book about? I may need to track this down...
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 06:42 PM   #53
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Actually, my first vampire book, THE TRANSYLVANIAN LIBRARY, came out in 1993 . . . .
Greg, all I can glean from Amazon about this book is that it's out of print, but that title is really cool. What was the book about? I may need to track this down...

It was a non-fiction guide to vampire literature, up to about 1987 or so. It's horribly out-of-date now, but it was the very first book I ever sold! (Albeit to a small academic press.)
Old November 12 2009, 10:38 PM   #54
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

What counts is that it was sold, however. It doesn't matter who to...
Old November 12 2009, 10:46 PM   #55
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

elaithin wrote: View Post
What counts is that it was sold, however. It doesn't matter who to...
Oh yeah, I was definitely thrilled. And that book gave me a rep as "the vampire guy," which led to TOMORROW SUCKS and the UNDERWORLD novels . . . .

You have to start somewhere!
Old November 13 2009, 08:23 PM   #56
Tara
Lieutenant Commander

I love that young Carol Marcus on Inception is a manipped Love is a Many Splendoured Thing publicity still...

As for Pike's hairline, looks fine to me tho it looks like the image was horizontally squished a teeny tiny bit.

(Tho the lack of Number One on the The Chidren of Kings cover makes me zomg so sad. Or, you know, BOYCE. But I can see why Spock is on the cover, cos almost all the Pike novels have Spock on the cover, so people can tell at a glance it's a TOS novel cos they wouldn't necessarily buy it without Spock and/or Kirk on the cover.)
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 09:51 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

^Ack, I have been out-Google-fu'ed! Congrats on finding a larger version of that Bibi Besch cover.

Okay, so we've located the originals for the Pike and Enterprise images on the Children of Kings cover and the Carol Marcus image on the Inception cover -- that leaves Kirk, Leila, and two Spock images to track down. Shouldn't be hard with the Inception images, since we know the specific episode for Leila and for Kirk in that uniform, and Spock is from one of the two pilots. But the Spock on the TCoK cover should be the tough one.

EDIT: Okay, here's Kirk, from the scene in "Where No Man" where Gary was in the cell on Delta Vega:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...eforehd497.jpg

Here's Inception Spock, from near the end of "The Cage" (just after Colt and Number One beam back up):

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...thecage442.jpg

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; November 13 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 10:03 PM   #58
Tara
Lieutenant Commander

Spock on Inception is also a cap from "The Menagerie" (as I discovered when I used it for a manip only to realise afterwards that it's the same still used on Inception.

(My design brain stays switched on 24/7, even when I'm not actually at work.)

Last edited by Tara; November 13 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 10:06 PM   #59
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

If I had to guess, I'd say Spock on CoK could be from "Amok Time" or "Journey to Babel." Nothing more to go on than a gut feeling, though.

Old November 13 2009, 10:22 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Oddly, I can't find the Leila Kalomi image on TrekCore's screencaps, either DVD or HD. But it's definitely from "This Side of Paradise," unless Jill Ireland used that exact same hairstyle in some other show. Maybe it's from a publicity photo. But I have no luck finding it with an image search for "Leila Kalomi."

And I kind of get a third-season vibe from the TCoK Spock image, though I can't say why.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote