RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 485
Newest member: Edtrecke

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 11 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Jetfire

Live-Action Transformers TV Series?

I wonder if a Live-action Transformers TV series would be too big? I think after the films it would be less costly then starting from scratch.

Would it work? Would you watch? I think there is more potential to tell stories the movies or a cartoons can't.

I would watch.

Last edited by love like winter; November 11 2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 11 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Kaijima
Captain

Re: Live-Action Transformers TV Series?

Uh, well, for it to be anything like the films we need another few generations of computer technology to bring the cost of CG down. The TF films pushed ILM to their bleeding limit.

It's probably something we'll see eventually though, when CG for complex characters becomes so cheap it's in everything. Since it'd be extremely expensive to do a lot of the epic location shooting from the movies, you'd need better CG for virtual sets (and their requisite destruction).
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
captcalhoun
Admiral

sure, i could see a live-action Transformers show.

it'd feature about four Transformers, who turn into regular cars, and transform into robots about twice a season. Usually in the sweeps period. and who manage to never destroy anything except sand dunes in southern california.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Jetfire

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
sure, i could see a live-action Transformers show.

it'd feature about four Transformers, who turn into regular cars, and transform into robots about twice a season. Usually in the sweeps period. and who manage to never destroy anything except sand dunes in southern california.
The lead human male character's Honda Civic, some bitchy girl's Jeep Wrangler, a teacher's Toyota Prius and the lead girl's evil Ford Focus.

I would watch it.
Old November 11 2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

One transformer and during a battle in the first episode Megatron fires a weapon that makes the transformer unable to transform.

So the show becomes "Knight Rider" ish

Megatron's role will be walking back and forth his lair plotting away or being sent far away into space

In the sweeps period the transformer will transform at the last second only to give some crappy excuse about not being able to afterward.

Season finale- Megatron is Coming!
Samurai8472 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Jetfire

Megatron could be a Honda Cube.

I wouldn't expect the graphics to be just like the movie...just good enough to wanna watch it and not laugh about how bad the graphics are.
Old November 11 2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I'd think it'd be just too expensive it'd be like expecting a show like Galactica to have a new caprica style battle every week it'd blow the budget. I'd be happy with a decent cartoon for once with a story as good as Beast Wars with decent mechanical designs and traditional animation.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

It better have lots of offensive racial stereotypes and the Transformers must all have balls.

Also, those parents are pretty funny. Throw them in there too and give them lots of screen time.
Old November 11 2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

There was a TV adaptation last year. It was called Knight Rider and it sucked ass.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Ethros
Vice Admiral

By the time the CGI became cheap enough to do for TV, movie CGI would have advanced so much it'd look guff in comparison.

In that how the CGI for the T1000 looks better in Terminator 2 (1991) than in T:SCC (2009)
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 12:28 AM   #11
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Also, those parents are pretty funny. Throw them in there too and give them lots of screen time.
They should just do a sitcom centered around the parents and Bumblebee. Have Starscream as their wacky neighbor, throw in guest appearances from Sam, Mikaela, and Optimus Prime during Sweeps, and you've got a winning formula right there.

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
There was a TV adaptation last year. It was called Knight Rider and it sucked ass.
I enjoyed the new Knight Rider for what it was, but yeah, you're right.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2009, 06:55 AM   #12
Jetfire

Ethros wrote: View Post
By the time the CGI became cheap enough to do for TV, movie CGI would have advanced so much it'd look guff in comparison.

In that how the CGI for the T1000 looks better in Terminator 2 (1991) than in T:SCC (2009)
I would be ok if the animation was less than the movies as long as the stories are good and the characters are compelling...the movies are lacking in that area. The movies are just a special effects showcase.
Old November 12 2009, 08:33 AM   #13
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman

As a pretty huge fan of the franchise (Certainly not on God Magnus' level, but...), count me out of a live action TV series. they could never afford to do the robots well on a TV show's budget and time constraints, and then with network S&P you'd never get any good stories out of it. I'm positive it would end up feeling much like Knight Rider (2008).

Also, I just don't think there is enough of an audience to justify the cost on a weekly basis. Ideally speaking, I would like a new animated show that takes the mythos seriously, and is clearly aimed for teens/adults. Maybe something on Adult Swim.

Last edited by The Fatman; November 12 2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: needed to clarify
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Jetfire

I remember Beast wars and I enjoyed the animation for what it was...I think by now the animation can be way better...not Movie good but good enough.

The networks are dumb, they would try to get another Megan Fox type...I would watch if it was on any of the major networks...if it was on cable I would get the DVD's. I still think the stories would be better than the movies were though.
Old November 13 2009, 07:54 AM   #15
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
They should just do a sitcom centered around the parents and Bumblebee. Have Starscream as their wacky neighbor, throw in guest appearances from Sam, Mikaela, and Optimus Prime during Sweeps, and you've got a winning formula right there.
My Car The Alien, Tuesdays on CW.

The Dad could say something wacky and the little dog could look at him funny. The Bumblebee could play music while the Mom ate pot brownies.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote